PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Childminder

flare
27-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi, what are the rules on highering minders from outside the EU? I work in the far east and one of the daughters of my clients wants to live in England for 6 months and we were wondering how to go about highering her to be our full time childminder. Do I need to arrange a visa? Must she have qualifications after all I've known her for years and she's very trustworthy but does the law make it mandatory? Will we need to pay tax and NI for her to work?

Thanks for any help.

Zoomie
27-07-2011, 09:40 PM
yes, I suppose the person from the far east would need a working visa to work and live in the UK.

However, I think you are looking at hiring the person as a full time nanny, not a childminder. Childminders have to be registered with Ofsted and this is quite a lengthly process.

Think that nannies can be registered with OFsted too, but am not sure.

I suppose it boils down to whether you need to claim tax credits to fund the nanny (or au pair ?) wage ?

pinkbutterfly
28-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Nannies don't need any qualifications and don't need to be registered anywhere. However employing a nanny equals becoming employer ... so you'd have to operate PAYE for her and she would need national insurance number here. She would be entitled to the same benefits as any other employee in UK. She may need working visa ... depending where she comes from and what passport she holds.

rickysmiths
28-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Nannies don't need any qualifications and don't need to be registered anywhere. However employing a nanny equals becoming employer ... so you'd have to operate PAYE for her and she would need national insurance number here. She would be entitled to the same benefits as any other employee in UK. She may need working visa ... depending where she comes from and what passport she holds.

I doubt it if she is not a British National and the poster doesn't say she is, she would not be able to just aquire an NI number.

If the Poster is coming to live in the UK and wants to bring the girl with them to work for them as a carer for their children then they perhaps should go and ask at their local British Consulate to check on the way they do this.

They would not be able to employ her as a childminder because she can not register as one as they do not live in the UK, and it takes a lot longer than 6 months to register.

pinkbutterfly
28-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I doubt it if she is not a British National and the poster doesn't say she is, she would not be able to just aquire an NI number.
I'm not a British national and I do have a NI number. I had to apply for it. It's not hard to get it as long as they have the right work permit and are either employed or actively looking for work.
I think she would come under domestic worker so search for that.