PDA

View Full Version : Fussy Eater - what do you do?

FizzWizz
27-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I am really struggling with the concept as my children are both food hoovers! I have a mindee who has always been a bit fussy but sometimes she refuses to eat any of her main meal (i provide meals) and then waits for the yoghurt that she knows comes after.

The few times that my children have tried this they leave the table with nothing (I figure if they were hungry they'd eat what's on offer!!)

Anyway, I know the EYFS implies we should carry on and offer pudding regardless of whether mains have been finished BUT I have discussed this with mum and she says, 'yes, you can offer pudding but until she has eaten the main course I don't want you to give it'.

What do you do with fussy ones?!:panic:

gegele
27-07-2011, 02:20 PM
if they don't eat their meal i do not give yoghurt as a lo would live of it and stopped eating at home!!!

but as i cannot not give them food i give them a piece of apple!
now LO eats everything!!!:D

:thumbsup:

FizzWizz
27-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that - I will give that a go tomorrow and just offer fruit rather than the yoghurt :)

mushpea
27-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I dont offer anything if they dont eat whats put in front of them, if they are hungry they will eat what you give them, why would you throw good food away and the give them something else

love381
28-07-2011, 07:44 AM
I had a fussy lo when it came to eating a while back and found that putting out very small amounts on the plate was easier. Instead of a pile of mash potatoe, I gave a teaspoon of mash etc. It worked very quicklly and within three days he'd eat his whole plate and within a week he was asking for seconds!! Don't have to fuss too much now with smaller amounts either!! Would putting smaller amounts out help this fussy eater you look after?

I've also used a 'rule' of you can leave one thing and still get your pudding too. If you know the mindee likes these foods, then maybe that would help. x

cupcake22
28-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I dont offer anything if they dont eat whats put in front of them, if they are hungry they will eat what you give them, why would you throw good food away and the give them something else

I agree. I dont give yogurts at all. I give fruit for afters however if they dont eat their main meal I dont give them anything else. They soon realise thats the rules at my house. However a lot of the time its a different story at home as the pareents tend to give them loads of choice & wonder why they have fussy eaters!

Cupcake22

ziggy
28-07-2011, 01:45 PM
my eldest child is 32 and my youngest is 21 both are heatlhy and not obese, anorexic etc!!!!! I have been in childcare for most of my working life.

I offer small amounts of dinner with more available if required BUT if main course isnt eaten nothing else is offered. I've never had a parent complain about this although as mentioned the same may not happen at home.

Having said that i dont make a fuss if a meal isnt eaten, the child leaves the table, the food taken away, and as i said, nothing else is offered till next snack/meal time

boxtree7
28-07-2011, 01:49 PM
on occasions i have challenged fussy eaters with how many cookies they can have if they eat there dinner .. the child gives me a number and i give the cookies once the dinner is all gone. I don't do this offten but i do find it interesting watching every mouth ful of dinner that wasn't like before the mention of cookies. sometimes i also allow tomato sauce to be added on the side just to see the child eat all there dinner up. it usually works wonders.

singingcactus
28-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I allow children to self regulate how much they eat of what. When I provided food previously I never did desserts, I covered all food types within the main meal, so that was never an issue. Now that parent provide meals there is usually one of those fromage frais things in the packs, I tip it onto the plate along with the sandwiches and all other things in the bags. I have divided plates. The kids just eat what they want from the plate.
I don't put out any chocolates, or crisps that are in the bags I just send them home. So usually the only junky type thing the kids get is the fromage frais, and they are so small it's not going to spoil their appetites. If they don't want to eat, you can't make them. It is so not a fight I am getting into with anyone! No point creating a battleground, as long as it's only one a day it's not going to cause any problems. Any more than that probably would cos they are so filled with sugar.
I do allow the kids to get food out of their bags whenever they want though, as a rolling snack bar type thing.

onceinabluemoon
28-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I am really struggling with the concept as my children are both food hoovers! I have a mindee who has always been a bit fussy but sometimes she refuses to eat any of her main meal (i provide meals) and then waits for the yoghurt that she knows comes after.

The few times that my children have tried this they leave the table with nothing (I figure if they were hungry they'd eat what's on offer!!)

Anyway, I know the EYFS implies we should carry on and offer pudding regardless of whether mains have been finished BUT I have discussed this with mum and she says, 'yes, you can offer pudding but until she has eaten the main course I don't want you to give it'.

What do you do with fussy ones?!:panic:

Could you tell me where this is implied please? (genuine interest).