PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only CM with parents who...

helendee
27-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Couldn't care less about the EYFS?

I have several los on my books at the moment and not one of their parents' are the slightest bit interested in EYFS and Learning Journals. We have a quick chat at the end of the day about what we have been up to and that seems to be enough, half the time they don't even want to take home their lo's artwork!

It just goes to show that most of this flaming paperwork is for Ofsted and not for the parents, they just want to know that their child is happy, fed, loved and well-cared for. :)

Ripeberry
27-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't blame you, it is hard work, especially if you have lots of under 5's on your books. I only have 4 and I find it a struggle sometimes.
I have cut down a lot, just do 'short obs' and the occasional 'long obs' where everything is analysed in minute detail.

Two of my parents work with children themselves so they know about the EYFS as they have to use it themselves. So in a way it makes it worse :panic:

But one who works in a pre-school paid me a compliment last week and she said that my obs were "very professional", but I think she just liked my EYFS stickers from the NCMA :D

funemnx
27-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Mine are all the same, 7 families in all - they all love the photos but aren't interested in developmental milestones and all that bunkum!!!

helendee
27-07-2011, 02:11 PM
So glad it isn't just me... mind you I am so rubbish at paperwork that it is just as well!!:thumbsup: x

AliceK
27-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Couldn't care less about the EYFS?

I have several los on my books at the moment and not one of their parents' are the slightest bit interested in EYFS and Learning Journals. We have a quick chat at the end of the day about what we have been up to and that seems to be enough, half the time they don't even want to take home their lo's artwork!

It just goes to show that most of this flaming paperwork is for Ofsted and not for the parents, they just want to know that their child is happy, fed, loved and well-cared for. :)

I've said this for ages, even before I was childminding and I was chatting to another childminder and as a parent who's DS was with a childminder at that time I told her all I needed to know was that he was happy, kept safe and fed. As a parent I dont need anyone else observing at what stage my child is/was. I already know this as a mum.
My parents love to see the pics in their daily diaries but are not really interested in the LJ's (with the exception of 1)

xxxx

nokidshere
27-07-2011, 02:27 PM
No you are not alone - none of my parents want anything to do with it really and think its uneccessary for their child. Parents need to know that their child is happy and safe while they are at work and tats all. They can see for themselves how they are developing.

PixiePetal
27-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Mine are all the same, 7 families in all - they all love the photos but aren't interested in developmental milestones and all that bunkum!!!

same as mine :rolleyes:

marnieb
27-07-2011, 02:55 PM
One of my mums is a teacher (6 & 7 yr olds) so she knows all about the EYFS, and has told me 'not to bother' doing any of it for her lo's!!!!

Of course I am as it's part of the job description nowadays!!!

Playmate
27-07-2011, 03:11 PM
One of my mums is a teacher (6 & 7 yr olds) so she knows all about the EYFS, and has told me 'not to bother' doing any of it for her lo's!!!!

Of course I am as it's part of the job description nowadays!!!

Interesting, 2 of our parents our teachers and love it :rolleyes: Most of our parents are professionals and really appreciate the learning journeys, diaries etc Infact on a recent questionnaire sent home (which was to ascertain exactly what they appreciated and what not) parents said they wanted more detail about our activities and more photgraphs! Just can't keep up with it all though as we have 9 children within the EYFS :panic:

Tink
27-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree, one of my mum's is a teacher and she askes for it monthly which I love. One parent said WOW I didn't realise you had the time to do all this I thought you just played with her:eek: yeah I wish:laughing:

sweets
27-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I have never known a parent be interested in EYFS.

don't blame them really!

i Do minimum paperwork and obs as its all just for ofsted really.

all the parents want is their child to be happy, loved, entertained and cared for and to have had a good time.
They just want the photos.

:thumbsup:

Katiekoo
27-07-2011, 03:54 PM
My dd went to a childminder before I became one and I don't think I knew anything about the EYFS - to be honest it wasn't mentioned! A couple of times the CM said I've taken some nice pictures for her file, but never said I would be able to look at the file, and even now I haven't been given the file and have never seen it! I didn't know about the EYFS as most first time parents don't, they only know what we tell them.

sweets
27-07-2011, 03:56 PM
all these reply's dont say much for it do they :laughing: :laughing:

Ofsted LISTEN and SCRAP it now !:laughing: :laughing:

helendee
27-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I can sort of see the good of EYFS for pre-school settings but I still think that for childminders it is a totally redundant and time-consuming nuisance! x:angry:

Playmate
27-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I have to be honest we do not ram EYFS down their throats, they are given info in the learning journey, but I think our parents just see the LJ's and diaries as part of the service which we take pride in offering. We don't do lengthy obs just link photos occaisionally and jot down things the children say and do! To me we have always done EYFS! May be its just me, but I would have loved to have received a learning journey for my children, unortunatley mine were in Pre school and Cm's long before EYFS :laughing:

amanda1309
27-07-2011, 04:35 PM
my parents love the photos in the learning journeys but not bothered about the EYFS part of it.:laughing:

mariehunter
27-07-2011, 04:38 PM
learning journals?
OMG what else do I not have?
I had one parent round this week with a 4 month old,showed her what paperwork I did for EYFS and ofsetd etc and she wasntpleased said she would rather I just sat and played and cared for the baby, so I told her I had to do it but did it on my own time...

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2011, 05:10 PM
my parents love the photos in the learning journeys but not bothered about the EYFS part of it.:laughing:

Same here!!! I had one mindee leave a coupe of weeks ago. Mum had said she didn't want obs etc done but I did them anyway :rolleyes: When I gave her the lo's "All about me" Book on her last day she loved the photos of all the things her dd had been up to, and her friends (parents permission for photos to appear). She still didn't bother about obs/next steps etc but I made sure there were LOADS of photos which she loved!!

Pipsqueak
27-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Most of my parents couldn't give a monkeys about the EYFS (barr one) but all of them appreciate the learning journal with the photos and comments. I make it parent friendly!!

Louise0208
27-07-2011, 05:57 PM
none of mine care about EYFS, (ihave 5 early years children)

1 parent is a primary school teacher & 1 runs an after school club....if i thought any of them would be interested it would be them :p

To be honest when i sent my babies to a childminder (up until i re-regged last year) she never did learning journeys etc but only used tracker charts which were no interest to me (not that she let me see them when requested :rolleyes: )

LChurch
27-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I can sort of see the good of EYFS for pre-school settings but I still think that for childminders it is a totally redundant and time-consuming nuisance! x:angry:

Mine too only want their children to be loved and cared for and having fun, today we had teddy bears picnic, then dressing up etc. Only had one mindee today. Sent pictures to mum of teddy bears pic. A previous mum wasn't even bothered about works of art her child had done, it was a great achievment and no praise for child!

I feel that if i did full obs on all the kids I have/had I wouldn't actually help them to feel secure and loved.

singingcactus
28-07-2011, 07:47 AM
My parents enjoy reading the kids folders, etc, and the do get something from reading them, but they would be equally happy without it. We talk constantly and pass on info much better through conversation than through comments, charts and forms.
But the great and holy ofsted require written evidence and they take precedence over parents and children lol.

cupcake22
28-07-2011, 08:51 AM
all these reply's dont say much for it do they :laughing: :laughing:

Ofsted LISTEN and SCRAP it now !:laughing: :laughing:

I couldn't agree more. I get all up to date & then I turn round and I am behind again :panic:

Cupcake22