PDA

View Full Version : 2yo hitting/pinching etc

Helen Dempster
27-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Hello all...as the heading says really. I just wondered how you deal with a 2 year old who hits and pinches. I know at this age they are testing boundaries and experimenting with numerous things, but it's getting a bit tiresome now. He'll just suddenly pinch for no reason - usually my own ds but me a couple of times and it really HURTS!! It seems to come from nowhere. Just wondered how you all deal with these sort of things with a child that young. I do put him in time out but there was one day he was in time out for such a big part of the day I decided it was detrimental to him.

Any advice would be greatly received, thank you :thumbsup:

AliceK
27-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I am just getting through the other side with the same thing and a LO just slightly younger. It's been tough. I haven't been able to leave her alone for a minute with other mindees. She has had to come everywhere with me. When I go into the kitchen to do lunch / tea etc she had to come and sit at the table with some toys. I also got very very stern with her and told her in my cross voice No hitting / pinching etc. In the pushchair I say "hands down" whenever she lifts her hands. Luckily for me her mum was onboard with it as she had had to sign incident forms when mindee had injured other children. I think we are just about coming out the other side of this now. She will occasionally lift her hand about to hit but then she either thinks better of it or see's me watching and stops. I also used time out for her too. It's really really wearing and hard work. Like your mindee there was no trigger for this behaviour it was totally unprovoked usually.
Good luck xxxx

Helen79
27-07-2011, 09:09 AM
There's a good book called Hands are not for Hitting which is great for this age when they don't understand why it's not ok to pinch and hit.