PDA

View Full Version : safety catches on drawers

jadavi
26-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi we bought a packet of safety catches to go inside drawers from Mothercare but they are impossible...you have to screw in from the insde and it doesn't work with our large ex library table. Can anyone recommend others that are easier to fit - maybe wth gummy pads?

Cheers
jac

rickysmiths
26-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry know I have all drawers in my new kitchen and don't have them, I have never used them I'm afraid. I have no cupboard locks either. Anything dangerous is out of reach.

I won't have my house like Fort knox.

The children are never unsupervised in the kitchen and they learn very quickly that it is not acceptable to open drawers without asking.

HMT81
26-07-2011, 02:56 PM
We got ours from wilkos, they do screw in but were easy to fit

pinkbutterfly
26-07-2011, 04:29 PM
If they had gummy pads they wouldn't be strong enough to stop the little ones opening them. I have them on my 'key' drawers where I keep sharp objects or chemicals. .They were a bit fiddly to fit but not impossible. I managed on my own.

jane5
26-07-2011, 05:58 PM
My pre reg inspector told me that these kind of locks usually break in time so she is happier if all sharp knives and chemicals ect....are out of reach and not to bother buying the locks.

manjay
26-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I do have a couple of drawers in my kitchen that I want locked and I use magnet locks on these. They are by far the best type of lock have ever used.

Sarahbelle
26-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi we bought a packet of safety catches to go inside drawers from Mothercare but they are impossible...you have to screw in from the insde and it doesn't work with our large ex library table. Can anyone recommend others that are easier to fit - maybe wth gummy pads?

Cheers
jac

Sounds like you need a slide lock hun. I have one. It fits around the handles of the two cupboard doors under sink and has a slide piece that you then tighten making it impossible for kiddies to open. I got mine from my local childrens centre. But you could try googling - perhaps mothercare or somewhere like that does them.

Sarahbelle
26-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Just seen them on Mothercare. £7.99 for a pack of three. Hope that helps.:)

miffy
26-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't use them. Knowing my luck I'd be the only one who couldn't get into the draw! :rolleyes:

I've never used them or cupboard locks, the children know they are not allowed in the cupboards/drawers without asking and those too small to understand that are always supervised.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
26-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Same as Miffy and Rickysmith:thumbsup:

sunbeams
26-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I spent a fortune on gummy pad ones from B&Q the other week, they stick on the outside of the draws - but they have lasted no more than 2 days as the pads dry out! I am planning to drill little holes into the plastic bits then screw them in!! That should stop them!!!:laughing: