PDA

View Full Version : Registering b4 doing the course??

Zumba-mum
25-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone is being as mad as me by registering b4 starting the course???
I'm hoping to be registered round Aug/Sep but my childminding coursedoesn't start till Setember. I've decided i must be bonkers :D

sarah707
26-07-2011, 06:34 AM
I know some childminders who have registered before the course - they have really struggled tbh.

Especially if Ofsted come out early - which they might.

Make sure you have carefully gone through all the statutory requirements so you know exactly what you must have in place.

I would also suggest you link up with a local mentor to help you through the initial paperwork etc.

Good luck! :D

Blackcat
26-07-2011, 07:14 AM
me i started the process before my course started , and was registered on 2 weeks into the 10 wk course ,
but I already had my first aid and had prebooked the safeguarding course before the one on my pre reg course

Zumba-mum
26-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks ladies. Sarah i have bought two of your e-books which are fab thou i'm still reading throu them as there is so much to read:D I have a few childminding friends which have been helping me too. I have been a nanny for many years so i have the up to date first aid, i've got a fire blanket bought lots of posters, my play room is all ready it's just ALL the paper work left :eek:

Blackcat
26-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks ladies. Sarah i have bought two of your e-books which are fab thou i'm still reading throu them as there is so much to read:D I have a few childminding friends which have been helping me too. I have been a nanny for many years so i have the up to date first aid, i've got a fire blanket bought lots of posters, my play room is all ready it's just ALL the paper work left :eek:

took me ages to do my paperwork but the majority of it was reworded from schoiol samples as I was a HLTA before, if you feel ready I cant see the problem in registering before the course, the only thing is ofsted say you have to have completed it within 6 months of reg but i think you may already know that lol

gigglinggoblin
26-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I did and didnt find it a problem. You need to know about EYFS and safeguarding and I filled in all the questions in the booklet are you ready for your inspection which was the biggest help. I also got the development officer from the council round before ofsted to pick up any things I had missed around the house. If you have experience then you should be fine.

Pandypops
26-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I did - I never went on the course as it was stopped round my area so I went alone and have found it fine. I have researched everything on my own, befriended the local DO, bought the EYFS book/CD, paid for all my First Aid, CYPOP5, Safeguarding, Food Hygiene courses etc.., done all my paperwork and have filled all my spaces. Took me 4 months all in all as my CRB took some time to get back.

It can be done if you want to put the work in - this forum is invaluable and a great help!!

Good luck :) :)

Zumba-mum
26-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I'm booked on for the course in sep. I think my house is very child safe as my youngest is just 2 and is into everything in the cupboards( now how locks):D , climbing on the tables eating god know's what ,she sure keeps me busy. I've down loaded the eyfs which is now in a folder but have to say it's still a little confusing thou i will get there.

Caterpillar
02-08-2011, 01:08 AM
me i started the process before my course started , and was registered on 2 weeks into the 10 wk course ,
but I already had my first aid and had prebooked the safeguarding course before the one on my pre reg course

Exactly the same as me, I quit work in a School at Easter and started registering immediately, I was registered before I had done the course (which turned out to be a farce anyway, I did not learn anything new!?)

Ofsted say that you need to do the course within 6 months of registration - so don't worry about it - just read the Stat documents and try to go into some of your local nurseries to see how they operate and record their planning and assessment etc

You'll be fine!!!

kblake
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry if I am being dumb but what course are you talking about?:blush:

khlwomitchell
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
assuming you mean the CYPOP5 course?
I have been registered 8mths and just starting it now. My inital course was cancelled when my local council had cut the budget and class room learning went with it. Suddenly had to find £190 to pay for it so had to work a bit longer to save for it too. (was inially £35 candidate contribution)

Actually finding working helped. Task 2 i just cut and pasted from my files.
Just had my first Ofsted inspection and she said it is common to start work first so don't be worried. I got a good so didn't harm my knowledge of the buisness xx good luck with every thing xx

Zumba-mum
07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Where i live (bristol) it called introducing home based childcare course (ihcc) it was free a few months ago but i'm having to pay £45 plus £33 i think to get registered and i paid £55 for my first aid cause

Pixie dust
07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Have you actually sent all your paperwork off to Ofsted to be registered? Have you completed your medical questionnaire and CRB paperwork as this can take a while sometimes?