PDA

View Full Version : imaginary friends

sweets
25-07-2011, 06:27 PM
One of my little mindees, nearly 3 decided that an 'extra' child would come out with us this morning. this child was called shirley (mum has no idea where shes got this name from :laughing: )

i sort of played along and held this childs hand and waited for her when she lagged behind. I even offered her a breadstick! lol

thought it was quite funny really.

BUT should i be playing along or ignoring this extra little person?

have any of your children had an extra friend?

sarah707
25-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Imaginary friends are part of a healthy well balanced childhood and should be treated with respect.

I hope Shirley enjoyed her breadstick :D

miffy
25-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I looked after a child who had more than one imaginary friend - sometimes felt like I was looking after more imaginary children than real ones :rolleyes: :laughing:

Miffy xx

QualityCare
25-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I look after a 4 yr old girl whose home life is not a happy one and she has always had 2 imaginary friends the more tension there was at home and the more argumentative her parents were the more these 2 friends were around, since they split last year she has had an imaginary family of brothers, sisters and grandparents but no parents they all have made up names. I go along with whatever she does with them she will chat away to them and tell me what they are doing but l am not allowed to answer or talk to them. They seem to help her cope with life, one of the imaginary friends l am certain is her as she does the same things good and bad that x does. Her mum is aware of them but hasn't made the connection between x and friend.

marnieb
26-07-2011, 05:36 AM
My own DS had an imaginary friend for about a year between the ages of 2.3 and 3, so I really wouldnt worry about it!!!

The only reason I could find behind it was at the time ds was an only child, so I think it helped him feel more secure having his imaginary brother (also called Thomas!) with him all the time!!!

little daisies
26-07-2011, 05:42 AM
have you concidered that they have a spirit friend / spirit guide with them, children of that age can be more prone to seeing things than older children, i would just go along with it after all what harm can it do

angeldelight
26-07-2011, 05:50 AM
I don't think it hurts either

I have had a few who have had these friends they usually out grow it

Wish I could have a imaginary Enrique :laughing:

Angel xx

BuggsieMoo
26-07-2011, 06:58 AM
My daughter has an imaginary friend called Leo. He goes everywhere with us and she holds onto his hand. He has dinner with us and when we take her elder brothers to school, because he is older than my daughter (her dictation) he goes to school also. She always says we have to make sure we collect him.

She also extends this and tells me he lives with his granny and has a little brother called Eli and that his granny has a red car.

My daughter is happy enough and one day she will grow out of this. Im not bothered by it, it does not appear to be doing her any harm.

Lisa x

BuggsieMoo
26-07-2011, 07:01 AM
have you concidered that they have a spirit friend / spirit guide with them, children of that age can be more prone to seeing things than older children, i would just go along with it after all what harm can it do

I know exactly what you mean here. My daughter when we lived in our old military quarter kept drawing a man called Robbie. She drew the same picture everywhere and discussed him at nursery also. She drew the picutre and crossed it out saying she wanted him to go as he scared her cos he watched her. She said he looked like daddy (daddy is army) as he has the same clothes but he was taller with black hair. Her picture and description never changed. Eventually I got a little spooked by it and got the padre involved, (she repeated it all to the padre and she was only just 3 at the time), the Padre who after digging found out that a military guy did die in our house in the 60's (late) and he was called Robert! I was some what freaked and got the house blessed.

sweets
26-07-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks everyone, she is an only child and has great imagination.

i will def play along and let shirley come out with us again :laughing:

AliceK
26-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I know exactly what you mean here. My daughter when we lived in our old military quarter kept drawing a man called Robbie. She drew the same picture everywhere and discussed him at nursery also. She drew the picutre and crossed it out saying she wanted him to go as he scared her cos he watched her. She said he looked like daddy (daddy is army) as he has the same clothes but he was taller with black hair. Her picture and description never changed. Eventually I got a little spooked by it and got the padre involved, (she repeated it all to the padre and she was only just 3 at the time), the Padre who after digging found out that a military guy did die in our house in the 60's (late) and he was called Robert! I was some what freaked and got the house blessed.

I know what you mean, my DS from about the age of 2 until about 4 had a "friend" called Jack. He used to tell me lots about him even detailed descriptions of his clothes. It was a bit spooky as things always used to happen in that house. I think Jack used to play with balls in DS's room as they used to roll accross the room on their own. I never dismissed Jack as he was real to DS so I just went along with it. Even to the point when Jack was naughty and I had to tell him off :laughing:

xxxxx

SammyM
26-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Do we have to count imaginay friends in our numbers??!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

flora
26-07-2011, 12:31 PM
My daughter had an imaginary freind called "curly kip" no idea where that came from.

And not only did she firmli belive in Curly kip. but Curly had a DOG :laughing: and the dog's name was samson :laughing:

I ahve to say I played along, you pretend to drink from a cup when in the home corner, whats the diffference????

Have to say real and imgaginary freind STILL have to behave :thumbsup: