PDA

View Full Version : 11 year old

handeme
25-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I have just had an enquiry for a young girl to start tomorrow and its just for the school holidays. She is eleven so that threw me a little.

I always pictured myself caring for little ones and at the moment I dont have anyone over 4 years. Does anyone else care for older ones?

c x

sunbeams
25-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I am planning on caring for 0 - 14 years when I finally get going! :rolleyes:

At the mo I am CM assistant for my friend who had littlies and older children together, and it works wonderfully. The older one's love passing on their 'wisdom' and helping the littlies, and the LO's see the older ones as big brothers/sisters! One big happy family. :thumbsup:

Mouse
25-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I do think it's more difficult if you only have one older child, especially if it's for a full day.

I often look after 10 & 11 yr olds for holiday cover, so only a week at a time. When I have a few older ones I can set out activities for them to do together - board games, harder crafts, or even just a space for them to all sit & chill together. They all get on really well and usually only need minimal adult supervision.
When there is only one of them here, it is much harder. They soon get bored of the little ones, but have no one their own age to play with. You can provide them with all sorts of activities, but it's never as much fun for them when they're on their own and you can only spend limited time with them as you have the little ones to see to.

That's just my experience though of the children I look after and as we know, they can all be very different.

angeldelight
26-07-2011, 05:58 AM
I have a few older ones in the holidays and they can be hard work

I had one on their own for a few hours and found it really nice because we could sit and chat etc

Is she starting today ? Hope it goes ok let us know

Angel xx

birch24
26-07-2011, 09:48 AM
I look after older ones in the school hols and I have to say I find them much harder work than the littlies. They don't want to join in, they only want to sit glued to the tv, computer or wii!!
I find this difficult because its not something I allow generally.

I much prefer littlies.
But saying that I do explain to parents the routine of the day, whether we will be going out or not and if not why( ie: babys nap time) and tell them to bring things that they would like to do if bored.
Then at least they know how things are, the older ones love going out so I try to plan outings but that isn't always possible, it depends on the little ones that I have that day. :D

love381
26-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm looking after an 11 year old girl at the minute, she's lovely and quiet and quite easy to work with to be honest. I think it depends on the child! I do advise bringing something from home just incase, but she rarely uses it!! I think it totally depends on the type of person you get, this 11 year old girl could be quite easy going or quite demanding!! x

Dragonfly
26-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I have one that is 13 in September,had from a 2 year old so a long time.She is very good and will help/join in with the younger ones and yes does like watching tv ds' etc but doesnt moan or any thing when i say we are going out/doing this, long day 8.30-6.15pm would i take another child on that age? NO, only because I have had this girl so long she knows the ropes and my ways. Older ones arent as easily pleased as younger children. Having said that she has been to the park, been in to town and done decoupeage (spelt wrong!) on a picture frame today not other 13 yr olds would do that happily.Oh and walked the dog over the fields running to be chased!:laughing:

handeme
27-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I responded to mum and said that I currently care for 3 boys aged 4 years and under so at the moment we are very young activitiy orintated but should she want to come I will obviously make sure that I have activities and outings for her age and interest.

She then said great but when I mentioned I needed a up front payment, (my fees are a month in advance) I had no response !!

C x