PDA

View Full Version : Advice re settling in fees

izzy23
25-07-2011, 12:11 PM
OK! Had a mum start her boy with me, signed contracts couple of weeks back, no settling in sessions as he was coming straight from previous minder, he came first day today, was sick this morning, sent home as per policy, mum then sends vague text asking about the "cooling off" period. Mine is within first two weeks you can terminate without normal 4 weeks notice. Mum has paid for first week in advance today. She has now texted saying - she's not happy and wants boy to be with family instead, also implying I have lied about him being sick and wants first week fees back. I've replied saying as per terms of contract ( I use MM ones) if you decided to withdraw your child for whatever reason then fees paid still stand. She is being shirty about it now :( Really don't need it and feel ****** annoyed to be fair as I turned down another woman who wanted the place for her son as she came to me first.

Advice on how to deal with awkward types please?

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 12:35 PM
if you have a cooling off/no notice period then just let them go. be firm with her - no return of fees paid up front. sounds like you've had a lucky escape to be honest!

Goatgirl
25-07-2011, 12:56 PM
if you have a cooling off/no notice period then just let them go. be firm with her - no return of fees paid up front. sounds like you've had a lucky escape to be honest!

Totally agree with juggler :thumbsup:

Unfortunately there are parents who will behave like this :eek:. Fortunately there are many lovely ones out there too, who will respect you and trust you. Stay firm over the advance fees and whatever you have agreed in your contract. This is her problem, not yours. You will now have a space available for the next enquiry from a family you would be happy to work with :thumbsup:

Remember you have done nothing wrong. Its horrible when these things happen but its not personal, I expect this parent treats everyone like this when not getting things her own way.

Is the other person still looking for childcare? You could call her maybe and let her know you have a space coming available :)

hope you can sort things out with Mum and move on to a peaceful life quickly. Definitely a lucky escape!!

best wishes,
Wendy :)

izzy23
25-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks all. Clearly this particular parent has issues and I had my doubts when she came to sign the contracts the other week and spent the whole time answering her mobile and texting instead of paying attention to me! I just worry that I'll get bangs on the door and that, having had a bad experience a year or so ago with a parent who was trying to wriggle out of the contract and sent their incredibly aggressive partner round to intimidate me! :(

Mouse
25-07-2011, 01:11 PM
To avoid any confusion I would phone MM and talk it through with them.

If your contract states the cooling off period is 2 weeks, then mum can obviously withdraw the child. But unless your contract specifically states that you will keep any advance fees, you may be on dodgy ground when trying to keep the fees. In my mind, if a parents cancels in the settling period they only pay for the days they have used. It might even depend on whether you have specified a day rate or a weekly rate. She definitely has to pay for today, but if you want to avoid any hassle, check with MM about keeping the rest.

Then send them a letter saying you have spoken to your insurance company & they say xxx. Also remind them that if they claiming tax credits to pay childcare fees, it is now their responsibility to inform tax credits that they are no longer paying for childcare.

izzy23
25-07-2011, 01:22 PM
She pays a special weekly fee, not a day rate, far below what I usually charge as she niggled and umm and ahhhed through the initial consultations/negotiations. My contracts state fees are due if the child is kept away for the setting for any reason or withdrawn, no fees if I am off or sick or were to terminate the contract. I didn't specifically state that fees would be kept if termination occurred during the cooling off period as it just states that you can terminate with no notice during the first 14 days as opposed to the normal 4 week notice period, I didnt set up a different set of terms for fees during cooling off period.

Goatgirl
25-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Oh bless, that's dreadful!! :( No wonder you're nervous.. Some people....:eek:
No one should have to go through that. Unfortunately as workers in our own home we are particularly vulnerable th:panic:

I would just tell her how it is, say you'll put it in writing, confirm that you accept her notice and that little one will not be back (if she has clearly said this) reiterate the terms for payment etc then hope for the best :thumbsup:
and at the first (if any - hopefully not!) sign of any aggression say you will call the police and report her for intimidation/ verbal assault. It is quite simply unacceptable.
I'm disgusted... :angry:

Hopefully this parent is not like the last one who behaved so badly, but just trying her luck. Silly woman should have listened while you were explaining the contract.

All I can say is, next time you are having doubts, act on them. That gut feeling has got me out of a few unpleasant situations I'm sure :thumbsup:

hope it works out and quickly :)

best wishes,
Wendy

Mouse
25-07-2011, 01:27 PM
If you've put a weekly rate on your contract then I would agree the money is yours to keep.

I'd still double check with MM just to be sure though. After all, that's what you pay your fee for. And as I said before, if you think parents are likely to be funny about it, it helps to have the backing of your insurers.

izzy23
25-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah I've said that Wendy! Told her I'll put it in writing to her, also that I'd write to Tax Credits but it is her duty to notify them from her end. Basically I feel she could well be up to no good with her claim.

izzy23
25-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah Mouse - when it went pear shaped last year and the mum sent her slightly unhinged partner round I involved MM who were brill and told me exactly what to write in my letter to them, funnily enough they backed down when I threatened legal action if they breached the contract, still wasn't very nice to go through in the first place. Don't want this one to go down the same route, as I said I never agreed an hourly rate with her, I normally charge by the hour or a flat b4/after school fee but with this parent I agreed a flat rate per week unchanging through holidays and term time.

snufflepuff
25-07-2011, 01:39 PM
If you charge a weekly rate i'd say you keep what she had paid you for this week. I know she is within the 'cooling off period' but that just means that she doesn't have to give, and pay for, 4 weeks notice. Not that she gets a refund on care that she cannot use as her child has been sick!

izzy23
25-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Man alive! A knock at the door just went, and I could see it was a man through the glass bits, I thought to myself "here we go again", heart started pounding etc and it turned out to be a door to door seller!!! Sometimes I just think this profession just isn't worth it! :blush:

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 03:11 PM
oh hon, what a nightmare! agree with others. check it with MM. if your contract states termination with immediate notice then you may have to back all monies apart from the first days but it may be that you are ok to keep the week.

just check it out and then don't let her bully you x

AliceK
25-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I was of the understanding that within the settling in period ie No Notice period if a parent terminates with immediate effect they are due a refund of days not used. When I had a mindee terminate like this I had to refund days not used :mad:

xxx