PDA

View Full Version : do you take the children out every day

foxy lady
25-07-2011, 10:48 AM
ive been minding a few years now and love to get out with the children and do nice things like siniging group, tots group library ect. some days i like to have a day at home where the children just play with the toys and play in the garden do some crafts. i feel really bad when the parents ask what we have done today or when i am filling in there daily diaries if we havent been out. what do you do, do you go out somewhere everyday?

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 10:59 AM
no I don't. In fact I feel bad if we've not been in the house all week as I feel that then the activities I've planned for next steps are not being accessed.

I tell parents what toys we had out, what we sang/read, what we did in the garden or who we had over to play (if we do).:)

appleblossom
25-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Like the Juggler, I have one day per week when we stay in and do activities to meet requirements of "next steps". we do go out to take/collect a pre school attending child but have one day where we don't spend the morning at a toddler group or other similar activity.

I was talking with a friend (ex CM) who is a network co-ordinator about this.
She said she can't understand how CM who are out somewhere every day manage to do any planned activities to help with next steps.

Most of the other CM hereabouts are out every single day. There are not many groups etc. round here on Friday so they go to Sainsbury's, do their shopping for the weekend and spend an hour in the cafe with all their mindees.

aunt sally
25-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't go to a toddler group , soft play etc every day because I like a good chunk of time at home. It gives us time in the garden, doing craft activities and generally gives the children time to play with all the resources at my home. As others say it allows me time to actually do the 'next steps' planning with the children. However, if we are having a stay at home day then i tend to stop at the park we pass after school collection and they have a small play then. I know some child minders who go out every day, that's the flexibility we have, we can decide ourselves how we like to spend our week.

Ripeberry
25-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I try and do all the 'next step' stuff in the afternoon. When you have kids for 10hrs a day, staying in ALL day would drive me batty!

Even with my own kids I don't stay in all day and when I do I feel sluggish and feel like nothing has been done, even if I spent all day cleaning the house :p

Each to their own, but I prefer to observe things 'spontaneously' not have it all set up like an 'experiment'.

Most of the time, kids don't even want to do the activity or do it quickly so what else is there to do?

One CM I know HAS to go out each day until at least 2pm as her OH works nights and does not want ANYONE in the house in the mornings....now tha't hard :(

Mouse
25-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I like spending time at home with the children. I have so many things here for them to do that it would be a shame if they were never here!

All of my mindees are part time, either 2 or 3 days a week. For the 2 day a week mindees we have one day at home & one day going out to a group, library, visit another cm etc. The other day is spent at home For the three day mindees they either get one or two trips out, so one or two days at home. It depends how they fit in with the other part-timers.

I find that if we go to a morning group, we get home, they have lunch then they sleep for the rest of the afternoon until school run time. If I did that everyday we'd never have time for any craft etc.

snufflepuff
25-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't take the children out every day. On Mondays I have 4 children- 3 two year olds and an 8 month old- and to be brutally honest I couldn't cope with taking them all to soft play/ a toddler group on my own! We play at home, play in the garden, or go to one of the local parks. Wednesdays my nanny friend often visits/ we visit her/ we go out somewhere together like soft play. Thursdays we go to a toddler group and sometimes visit my Grandparents. (Don't work Tues or Fri at the moment.)

Rubybubbles
25-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't go to groups everyday, but like today we went for a walk to feed the ducks and popped to the park:) we go into the garden alot, I am so fed up of toddler groups now (was changing hands but made it no better:( ) so keeping myself to myself!

I only look after a 11 month old and 18 month old so for us we don't need to be 'out' as they are so lovely , sure if they were screamers I would have to get out haha! That made no sence did it:blush:
My own children are old enough to play out now so one currently is building wigwams on the back patch of grass and dd is down the park with her friend and her mum for icecream!

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I try and do all the 'next step' stuff in the afternoon. When you have kids for 10hrs a day, staying in ALL day would drive me batty!

Even with my own kids I don't stay in all day and when I do I feel sluggish and feel like nothing has been done, even if I spent all day cleaning the house :p

Each to their own, but I prefer to observe things 'spontaneously' not have it all set up like an 'experiment'.

Most of the time, kids don't even want to do the activity or do it quickly so what else is there to do?

One CM I know HAS to go out each day until at least 2pm as her OH works nights and does not want ANYONE in the house in the mornings....now tha't hard :(

most of mine sleep/have quiet time in pm and then after school run go home so otherwise they'd never play here if I didn't stay in :laughing: :laughing: I hasten to add, I don't set up play necessarily to observe. most of my obs are spontaneous but I plan the resources not many structured activities.:)

manjay
25-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I have one morning a week where I attend a toddler group. The rest of the time is spent in and around my home and village. I don't feel the need to go out anymore than this as I have a wide range of activities in my setting. What I am talking about is toddler groups of course and not walks or trips to the shops or the woods. These are activities that are built in as and when the fancy takes us.

To me the essence of home based care is that it is a small group of children at home and not attending as many group sessions as possible each week. I do wonder sometimes if the need to go out is more about the needs of the adult than the children:D

Just my opinion as always:thumbsup:

pinky33
25-07-2011, 01:37 PM
. I do wonder sometimes if the need to go out is more about the needs of the adult than the children:D
:

I also think this a lot lol

PixiePetal
25-07-2011, 02:19 PM
I have one morning a week where I attend a toddler group. The rest of the time is spent in and around my home and village. I don't feel the need to go out anymore than this as I have a wide range of activities in my setting. What I am talking about is toddler groups of course and not walks or trips to the shops or the woods. These are activities that are built in as and when the fancy takes us.

To me the essence of home based care is that it is a small group of children at home and not attending as many group sessions as possible each week. I do wonder sometimes if the need to go out is more about the needs of the adult than the children:D

I totally agree with all you have said :D

I have a loads of toys, a huge garden and fields and woods on our farm to go out in so I don't feel the need to go to groups every day. We do go to the local farm park every couple of weeks for a change of scene and used to go to a group once a week but that has changed to parents and under 3's only now :( there is a CM group but I don't get on with some of them. Friends come to me and enjoy my space and I like doing things just for me and mindees too.

Chimps Childminding
25-07-2011, 04:24 PM
If I am totally honest we go out very little :blush: Anywhere we want to go involves getting in the car as there is no park, etc close enough to walk to and the main road along the front of our estate is very busy with lorries and the pavement is only wide enough for a single buggy, couldn't have a mindee walking alongside as well :eek:

June and I live next door with a connecting gate to the gardens so our mindees get together most days. We do go to the odd cm group (but found them to be a bit clicque sp?) and pop to the park in the car a few times a month, but other than that stay around here!!!

Sometimes I do think I don't go out enough, but most of the mindees seem to be run ragged at the weekend going here there and everywhere they don't seem to mind staying at home!!

miffy
25-07-2011, 05:00 PM
We go out for a treat not as a rule (not counting local parks, library etc).

No point in saying you provide home care if you're never in! :D

I think sometimes kids spend their weekends being ferried from one activity to another so it's nice for them to have time to relax and choose what they want to do.

Miffy xx

Helen79
25-07-2011, 06:14 PM
We potter around the shops and park but only go to a toddler group once a week. ds is in nursery more days from Sept so on the days I only have 1 mindee we'll probably start going to more toddler groups so she has other children to play with.
When I've got 3 under 3's I find it hard trying to get to groups and fit in naps etc so find it easier to stay in and do activities.

Dragonfly
25-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I make sure I go out with the children at least once a day but that is for a walk or to the park not to clubs groups etc.Fresh air and exercise.

sdean
25-07-2011, 08:34 PM

I totally agree. I feel I have a lovely play room and lots of resources and home based childcare means you are providing the care in the home not at lots of different groups to pass the time. I feel like I have not paid the children any time or attention when we have visited cm group and I don't like the clique environment either.

time_4_change
25-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I am only at the pre-reg stage but reading all the above comments has helped me greatly. I have been in a panic thinking that I will have to take the children to every group and play centre I can think of , i was wondering how i would fit it all in with nap times etc :panic: .... I now can relax a bit and know not to feel bad if we have some at home days.

Leanne

Jiorjiina
25-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I am only at the pre-reg stage but reading all the above comments has helped me greatly. I have been in a panic thinking that I will have to take the children to every group and play centre I can think of , i was wondering how i would fit it all in with nap times etc :panic: .... I now can relax a bit and know not to feel bad if we have some at home days.

Me too. I was mostly planning on something in the morning every other morning (mostly a trip to the park or the playgroup at the children's centre), and then home for lunch and the afternoon.

onceinabluemoon
26-07-2011, 05:03 AM
I seem to be in the minority but yes I take the children out every day unless the weather is so severe it would be detrimental to the child to be out. (I am taking the OP as it is written when I say out, I don't mean to organised groups etc.)

As I have most of them for at least 8 hours a day I do not find it difficult to take them out to the park or the beach or even for a stroll around the shops for a few hours and still spend time at home for organised activities and free play. We live in a beautiful part of the world and I personally firmly believe children should be out in it while they have the chance. They are cooped up in classrooms for most of their childhood as it is...
We also attend some groups and events - for the children's sake not mine, I cant stand the cliques!

I believe 'next steps stuff' can be observed while you are out, to me it's about seeing something the child likes doing and building on that (or have I misunderstood EYFS completely? - I wouldn't be surprised if I have, lol). My older mindees have all just left to move up, but they loved being out and about in the community and I could observe them doing something fab in the woods just as easily as at home with a structured activity. For example, recently my two babies had a fabulous time exploring the rock pools on the beach, which gave rise to a few next steps for them.

I make it clear to parents at interview that we spend a lot of time outdoors and they all say this is what they want for their children. We are home based not stuck at home. lol :)

angeldelight
26-07-2011, 05:41 AM
I make sure I go out with the children at least once a day but that is for a walk or to the park not to clubs groups etc.Fresh air and exercise.

Same here we do the same

I don't think it matters either way though - some weeks we have not been out and the children have had fun in the garden
Some weeks we seem to be out more

I think you can observe where ever you are

Angel xx

mama2three
26-07-2011, 06:45 AM
I try to do a mix really.
Youre absolutely right that some days we need to get out for me rather than for the children! I dont neccessarily see that as bad though - just means I can be back to full strength when I get home!
I must admit that this has a lot to do with having a very testing and loud baby at the moment who is much more settled out and about!
Like ops much of the time we are 'out' is not groups but time in the forest, village , country parks..
I do enjoy groups , and we have a strong group of cms in our village who regularly get together at cm groups , toddlers , library etc. I often try to build these groups into planning and next steps as well as home. I work from 7 til 6 , theres lots of things going on at home too!!

Dragonfly
26-07-2011, 06:50 AM
I so agree with you oncebluemoon,children love being able to run about in the fresh air and explore their enviroment and community, but to go out to groups/clubs every day that isnt for me.

mushpea
26-07-2011, 08:03 AM
I like to get out in the fresh air with them especaily in the school holidays,, yesterday we had a lovley walk over the fields and later today we will go to the woods, i have had several parents come to me because I go out and about with the children,, infact one child came to me from a nursery setting as mum wanted them out and about more.
getting out is benifical to the adult and children,, I usualy find that by after lunch they are all in need of a bit of fresh air even if its a stroll round the block,, I used to have a child that would get really stroppy yet if we went for a walk he would cheer up , fresh air does magic somtimes.

sdean
26-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I seem to be in the minority but yes I take the children out every day unless the weather is so severe it would be detrimental to the child to be out. (I am taking the OP as it is written when I say out, I don't mean to organised groups etc.)

As I have most of them for at least 8 hours a day I do not find it difficult to take them out to the park or the beach or even for a stroll around the shops for a few hours and still spend time at home for organised activities and free play. We live in a beautiful part of the world and I personally firmly believe children should be out in it while they have the chance. They are cooped up in classrooms for most of their childhood as it is...
We also attend some groups and events - for the children's sake not mine, I cant stand the cliques!

I believe 'next steps stuff' can be observed while you are out, to me it's about seeing something the child likes doing and building on that (or have I misunderstood EYFS completely? - I wouldn't be surprised if I have, lol). My older mindees have all just left to move up, but they loved being out and about in the community and I could observe them doing something fab in the woods just as easily as at home with a structured activity. For example, recently my two babies had a fabulous time exploring the rock pools on the beach, which gave rise to a few next steps for them.

I make it clear to parents at interview that we spend a lot of time outdoors and they all say this is what they want for their children. We are home based not stuck at home. lol :)

may be I have misunderstood - I was reading it as going to groups and soft play type places. I go to the park or to feed the ducks or exploring in the woods we are not actually in the house all of the time but I do things that involves me being with them all the time like you would with your own children. x

Dragonfly
30-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Your so right Mushpea.Children do need to burn off excess energy and I also have had parents bring children to me as i like to take children over fields exploring and running about in the fresh air.Going to the woods sounds fun.
I have made a Summer nature trail chart for Monday, so the children will be out most of the morning tracking/finding whats on their charts and back to the house, after lunch if wanted can do arty stuff/clay/playdoh/etc etc or just free play up to them :thumbsup: