PDA

View Full Version : Noisy neighbours

LChurch
25-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Next door have builders in, whilst I know we are planning an extension too so there will be noise, next door have not gone about it in the right way. We do have a surveyor onboard who is looking into it for us. But the noise this morning was deafening, so much so my ears have popped! Hate to think what it is doing to my children and mindee! Just wanted to let off steam really.

barbarella68
25-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Why have they not gone about it in the right way?

LChurch
25-07-2011, 09:08 AM
They had planning refused. didn't speak to us just went ahead with it. underpermitted development they are going ahead with it but have no party wall agreement in place, apparently going border to border so I believe they should have it in place. I know that when we have an extension I will be speaking to our builders to work out when I should be out because of the noise!

FussyElmo
25-07-2011, 09:20 AM
They had planning refused. didn't speak to us just went ahead with it. underpermitted development they are going ahead with it but have no party wall agreement in place, apparently going border to border so I believe they should have it in place. I know that when we have an extension I will be speaking to our builders to work out when I should be out because of the noise!

If they have had planning refused ring your planning office and report them :)

rickysmiths
25-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Not sure about the Party Wall aregeement when something is built under Permitted Development.

We had to get it from both our neighbours last year when we had our extention done. We kept in contact with out neighbours before, and during our project and one of them has since used our builder for their extention. You may need to remain friends with your neighbour if you are going to need Party Wall Agreements with them.

From first consulting an architect the project took a year, 4 months building.

As for being out when the builders were here, that would have been impossible for four months with the builder working from 7.30am-6pm 5 days and 8-3 on Sat. I guess it depends on how big the extention is going to be.

rickysmiths
25-07-2011, 09:37 AM
If they have had planning refused ring your planning office and report them :)

That's an idea because even though you don't need planning permission under Permitted Deveopment they do have to submit Building Regulation Plans to the Planning Dept and have the normal visits from the Building Regs Inspector as the build progresses.

sweets
25-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I live in a terrace house and the house next door has just been completely renovated over the last few weeks by its owner before it was re rented out.

there was a lot of noise as floors were being ripped up and he had a big circular saw set up in the garden.!

at times the noise was unbearable but to be honest we got used to it, the children commented on what tool they thought he was using, drill or hammer etc, and they sat for ages looking out of the bedroom window while he fixed up his old shed!

Hw was very friendly too as when he cut down all the trees that overhang our gardens at the back he came and did mine too! It pays to keep on the right side of them as it wont go on for ever.

but if you think they dont have the relevant permissions then i would report them.

LChurch
25-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I have already been on the phone last week to building control. I know they haven't submitted things to them when they were supposed to either. We stupidly let them come across our garden earlier in the year to take their new huge shed in to their garden and then they trampled all over my veg patches, stunting growth etc. I told them that in future no permission would be given for anything going across our land as a result of their total disregard for our property. Half of the problem is they just have no common sense!

I know I can't be out all the time when the builders are in but if the noise is going to be deafening like this morning then I am sure we can be out. My ears were popping it was that deafening and I am still not right since. My dd was a nightmare behaviour wise too and I think it was because of all the noise.

rickysmiths
25-07-2011, 02:22 PM
When our extention was being built the children loved watching what the builders were doing, using the cement mixer bulding the walls, wood on the roof etc. Our builder is called Bob, yes really so they thought that was really great that Bob the Builder was building my house!!! :laughing:

We couldn't use the ground floor of our house for 3 months so I had a 21' Portakabin complete with toilet cubicle, heating and hot water in my front garden.