PDA

View Full Version : to rotate or not??

mushpea
25-07-2011, 06:06 AM
sorry but another toy question,, as per my last post I have decided I have far too many toys and so am having a clear out later this week,,, I was wondering if you all have enough toys that you rotate them or if you have one of the trofast units indoors with all your toys stored in it so the children can choose what they want each day.

Toothfairy
25-07-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't have enough room to have all my toys & games out at once, so I rotate once a term.
I also look at my planning and make sure I have resources out that could link to my planning for that term.
I've also made a resources book with photos of all the toys and games in. This is for the children to be able to choose something that may not already be out.

HTH :thumbsup:

Carol M
25-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I have that many resources, my garage is full!
My continuous provision stays the same covering all areas of EYFS then I add things depending on topic/ festival/season/childs interest for extended provision.
Taking into account the childs next steps and interests I put out relevent stuff, but it is all out on self selection. I have the big TTS storage on castors which hold 12 jumbo boxes each, they are great, but I have found if I put the boxes out on the floor all the children can access and chose stuff to play with.
I just struggle with the small items/ craft stuff only safe for over 3's as I'm not happy with them being out in the same areas where the smalls play so they are in a seperate place that only the older ones can select from a unit .
I really should catalogue my resources, it would take for ever :panic:
I usually just go out and buy more if I see a childs interest changes :blush:
Carol xx

miffy
25-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I usually just go out and buy more if I see a childs interest changes :blush:
Carol xx

You and me both! :blush:

Couldn't possibly have them all out at once - there would be no room to move! :laughing:

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
25-07-2011, 07:09 AM
I have most of mine in two storage units in the dining room. The rest I roatate so the happyland is is set up on one of the units is rotated regulary (theres too much of the stuff to all be down). Bob the builder/thomas toys come down as and when the children request it.

breezy
25-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I rotate mine, depending on topics, interests, requests etc etc etc. :)

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 07:33 AM
i rotate my large sets of smallworld (keep them in cellar) but most of my other stuff is on continuos provision or easily accessible.:thumbsup:

manjay
25-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I have numerous boxes in the garage that I rotate. Depends on what age children I have and their current interests. I have my continuous provision out each day but if I were to put everything out then I wouldn't be able enhance each of the provision areas as the children progressed.

mushpea
25-07-2011, 08:43 AM
so I was thinking of having a home corner with dolls, cot, kitchen and bits in then a corner with cushions for reading and a unit with room for 9 toy boxs in that children can access when they want then in I will keep the big play sets like happy street in the shed and bring them out periodicly prehaps swoping them with the kitchen corner. does this sound ok?

Maza
25-07-2011, 10:24 AM
That sounds great! Yes, I rotate my toys too as I find that 'less is more' - ie if I have everything out they just all end up on the floor after a couple of minutes whereas with fewer toys they play with each one in more depth if you see what I mean! They love the novelty of me getting out toys hich they haven't seen for a while. x

amanda1309
25-07-2011, 04:18 PM
That sounds great! Yes, I rotate my toys too as I find that 'less is more' - ie if I have everything out they just all end up on the floor after a couple of minutes whereas with fewer toys they play with each one in more depth if you see what I mean! They love the novelty of me getting out toys hich they haven't seen for a while. x

I do exactly the same. Its a bit like christmas when i get toys outr that haven't been out for a while:laughing: