PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for preparing for an operation

md0u0131
24-07-2011, 06:56 PM
One of my little mindees is in hospital on Thursday this week having a CT scan as part of preparation to have cochlear implants later this summer. She is 3.5years old, profoundly deaf with very little communication - she can do a few signs but very basic.

Does anyone have any ideas on activities to do this week to help prepare her for Thursday? She will have to have a GA as part of it which is what Mum is most worried about.

blue bear
24-07-2011, 07:03 PM
We have the hospital bed and accessories from Playmobil which has been brilliant for children going into hospital, understanding little things like the beds have wheels and having your own special locker for your stuff helps settle worries before hand and replay and sort out their memories afterwards.

I have a fairly comprehensive medical role play too I cluck g all out of date bandages from my first aid kit plus the usual toy doctors stuff including doctors coats and hospital nighty.

Could you set up a role play area, include plasters and bottle tops to tape onto hand like having tube in for anaesthetic?
Books from the library

md0u0131
24-07-2011, 07:11 PM
We have all the doctor and nurse dressing up stuff - I'll make sure that's out and I'll sort out some bandages - love the idea about taping a cap to hand - thank you!