PDA

View Full Version : a definition of scaffolding learning??

angiemog
24-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Can someone put in simple terms what scaffolding learning is. I've done loads of reading but am finding it hard to understand what exactly it is. It's for part of my assignment but I find it hard to write about something that I'm not completely understanding myself.
Thank you xx

Greengrass74
24-07-2011, 06:29 PM
The theorists behind the Scaffolding theory are Lev Vygotsky and Jerome Bruner. It basically means that the adult observes the children, recognises the stage of learning they are at and then provide support to help them to reach the next stage.
The support is what is called 'scaffolding'.

There are loads of sites on the net about scaffolding.

Here's one

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_6526490_scaffolding-learning-theory_.html

Polly2
24-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Also...Vygotsky talks about the 'zone of proximal development' (zpd) which is the gap between what a child can do alone and what he can do with support.

The support an adult (or another child) gives him is called 'scaffolding' - this enables him to cross that zpd and reach another milestone.

sarah707
24-07-2011, 07:28 PM
scaffolding is exactly what childminders do when you observe a child, consider what the observation tells you about the learning, development, likes, dislikes, interests etc and then plan next steps for them.

Imagine it like building a scaffold... the observation is the ground floor, the assessment is the next landing, the next steps is the top.

Hth :D

angiemog
24-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank you for your help everyone it's much appreciated. x