PDA

View Full Version : term time????

adele1985
24-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I had a viewing last week and it all went really well untill I told her I charge half price retainer for term time only parents (she was a teacher) needless to say I havent heard back from her

I thought charging a retainer would be standard for term time only parents as you are still required to keep their place in the holidays

ant advice would be appriciated.....im thinking about changing my contacts if its going to codr me parents

pinkbutterfly
24-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I do not officially charge a retainer as I know parents don't like to pay for service they do not use. However ... I incorporate a retainer in my fees so I charge a slightly higher rate for a term time only contract. I would ideally be charging 50% in holidays so I work out a price over year ... 38 weeks of school plus at 100% and 14 weeks at 50%. Then add them up and divide by 38 and TA DA ... I have a weekly price for a term time only contract :)
I also (at the same time) give them an option to spread the cost over a whole year ... so whatever figure I came up with in the first place I divide by 52 weeks (or 12 months) instead of 38 weeks and explain that if they wanted to spread the cost equally over the whole year (to help them manage ... I say) a fee would be £x each week, every week for 12 months ... I do add that if they leave early there may be fees owed.
I actually prefer to be getting less but knowing I have a set amount of money coming each month.
If you put it this way it doesn't sound so bad to them anymore.

nokidshere
24-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I do not officially charge a retainer as I know parents don't like to pay for service they do not use. However ... I incorporate a retainer in my fees so I charge a slightly higher rate for a term time only contract. I would ideally be charging 50% in holidays so I work out a price over year ... 38 weeks of school plus at 100% and 14 weeks at 50%. Then add them up and divide by 38 and TA DA ... I have a weekly price for a term time only contract :)
I also (at the same time) give them an option to spread the cost over a whole year ... so whatever figure I came up with in the first place I divide by 52 weeks (or 12 months) instead of 38 weeks and explain that if they wanted to spread the cost equally over the whole year (to help them manage ... I say) a fee would be £x each week, every week for 12 months ... I do add that if they leave early there may be fees owed.
I actually prefer to be getting less but knowing I have a set amount of money coming each month.

Thats exactly what I do and have never had anyone not come back because of it.

miffy
24-07-2011, 03:52 PM

I've never had a problem charging a retainer but the above sounds like a good way round it if it is losing you work.

Miffy xx