PDA

View Full Version : He's not my usual happy little chappy :-(

Tealady
23-07-2011, 09:01 AM
My DS is 21mts old and I took on an baby who is now 11mts about 5 weeks ago. For the first few weeks my DS was fine however the last couple of weeks he is quite miserable when mindee is here.

Mindee does keep taking DS's toys which I know is annoying him but mindee is too young to know better and DS just wants to play in peace.

My DS has taken to playing at the dining table when in the living area and if he is playing on the floor as soon as mindee approaches he scoops up the toys and runs crying to the other end of the lounge. If the two of them are in the room without me, when I'm in the kitchen, he trys climbing on the gate and crys the whole time. He crys in the double buggy as soon as I put mindee in.

I'm hoping he settles soon as it's driving me nuts. I think he will be OK eventually as he was fine at first and they smile and interact nicely at meal & snack times but I'd just appriciate some tips to help him come to terms with having to share his space, mummy and toys more quickly.

snufflepuff
23-07-2011, 09:09 AM
My son has been exactly the same recently. He's 29 months and my new mindee is 8 months. The baby cries alot which upsets my son- and my son has started to cry and whine to try to get attention/ get what he wants. He has lashed out at the baby a couple of times too. His behaviour in general has gone downhill since I started caring for this baby, who is only here 1 day a week! I'm finding it really hard to deal with to be honest. And i'm dreading September when I have another young baby starting!!!

sarah707
23-07-2011, 03:50 PM
It can be so hard for your own children when you take on a younger new child - or an older one for that matter!!

The keys are consistency and planning - be absolutely clear about what is and is not acceptable and pick your battles.

Also make sure you spend time one-to-one with your child when the little one is sleeping /not around.

I hope it passes quickly! xx

Aimi-jo
23-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I separate my sons 'special toys' as much as i can but at the end of the day they are all in his house so he see's all of them as his.
Only thing i found that help was when mindee came i got them to give toys to each other and pick something for themselves then swap after 5,10,15mins (depending on their moods).
Maybe you could get your little one to pick toys for mindee?
Hth hope it get better soon x x