PDA

View Full Version : food

kriscross
22-07-2011, 10:03 PM
hi all im a newly registered childminder and im starting in a few weeks time, im a bit unsure weather to provide tea or not for the children, i will be providing breakfast, luch snacks and drinks but not sure about tea.
The children i will have wont be leaving till 6pm and im just worried will i find doing tea a bit of a stress and another thing to do on my busy day.
Advice on what you think would be fab xxx

gegele
22-07-2011, 10:25 PM
what time do your family eat?

i do diner about 6-6.30 as it's the time my children eat. last mindee leaves at 7.
during the holidays i do it around 5.30 as children seem hungry earlier and i do a holiday cover who go out at 6 :D

rickysmiths
23-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I have always provided any meals a parent wants. However if a child leaves at or before 5pm I won't give them more than an after school snack. I serve dinner at between 5 and 5.15 so we finish in plenty of time for 5.30-6pm pick ups.

It does mean less structured activities from about 4.30 so I can get the meal sorted but parents have to understand that I can't do both.

I use the slow cooker alot. I have an older family so we don't eat until 7-7.30. I will often make a seperate dish of whatever we are having so I can use it the next day and then I do the veg prep first thing in the morning before the mindees arrive. This takes the pressure off but means they get a fresh cooked meal.
Yesterday I had a 14mth, 12mth and a 2year old eating Chilli packed with loads of 'hidden' veg (carrots, onion,celery,courgette,peppers and mushrooms) and mash for lunch. I actually cooked it before the first one arrive at 8am and my family had the Chilli with rice for their tea!

PixiePetal
23-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I will do a tea for mindees staying beyond 5.30.

My family are older and like rickysmiths we eat 7-7.30 and I also make an extra dish of what we are having for mindees next day, use the slow cooker or they have a quick meal ie pasta, ham & frozen veg.

I mind all under 5's and this suits me, older children I have in the hols I don't do tea for - it's not like they go home to bed soon after like the little ones and as parents have to eat I think it should be a family time for them.

manjay
23-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I would do an evening meal if children were here until 6pm but I guess it depends on the age of the child. I would't expect a pre schooler to wait until after 6 for their evening meal so I would provide. If it was an older child then it is my opinion that their evening meal time should be spent with parents.

At the moment all of my children leave by 5 so I don't provide an evening meal. This suits me as my youngest is 5 and we like to eat about 5:30 as then he is in bed by 7.

So for me it depends on the age of my own family and the ages of the children I would be caring for.