PDA

View Full Version : Car seat in front? is it ok?

Starfish007
22-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi all, I'm taking on a 12 month old mindee next month and the only option regarding using my car would be to put his car seat in the front, just wanted to check if anyone knew if this was acceptable? Do I need to turn off the airbag or not?

Also, anyone know where I can buy a reasonably priced new car seat?

Thanks for reading x

onceinabluemoon
22-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Juts looked this up for you and the info I found said its extremely dangerous to put a child in a front seat with an air bag and that lots of children had been killed (180 of them) in accidents that have only dented the bumper but set off the air bag...

It is illegal to put a rear facing baby seat in the front of a car with an air bag.

Hope that helps x

alwaysright
22-07-2011, 08:00 PM
hi, not sure if the seat can go in the front if its a forward facing one but the airbag would defo have to be turned off it you did use it, sure someone will be along with a bit more knowledge to advise or maybe google, i only put my own daughter in the front

QualityCare
22-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Just copied and pasted this from The Law on Child Car Seats

Children up to 3 years old

In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

It is illegal to carry a child in a rear-facing child seat in the front, which is protected by an active frontal airbag.

Q: Can I put a forward-facing child restraint in the front passenger seat if it has an active airbag?

A: It is better not to place a forward-facing restraint in a seat with an airbag; try to avoid this if possible. If it is not possible, then check the advice of the vehicle manufacturer. Find out how far the airbag extends when deployed and ensure that your child is well outside the expansion area. Ensure that the passenger seat is as far back from the airbag as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.

I personally would switch off the airbag and have the car seat as far back as it will go.

Starfish007
23-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks 'qualitycare', thats what I thought but couldn't seem to find the answer xxx

rickysmiths
23-07-2011, 07:48 AM
I do this regularly. I use a Britx Evolva 123 car seat in the front, I can isolate the air bag and I put the seat back as far as it will go. Sometimes in a bad accident the air bag may still deploy.

http://www.mothercare.com/b/44453031?ie=UTF8&title=highback boosters with harness (group 1-2-3)&pf_rd_r=1A6DKVBTA9X2W3W1Y9P6&pf_rd_m=A2LBKNDJ2K

alwaysright
23-07-2011, 12:54 PM
so can i be dumb and clarify, you can use either a forward facing or rear facing seat in the front seat of the car as long as the airbag is turned off??

rickysmiths
23-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes thats right subject to your own car maufacturers guidelines, you can be restricted because so many cars have side air bags and air bags in the seats as well.

Also the indvidual car seat guidelines.

Most recommend the seat back is fully upright and pushed back as far as it will go.

Heaven Scent
23-07-2011, 05:31 PM
One other thought - Check with your insurance company - a childminder friend of mine says that she is insured with "More Than" and they told her if she ever turns off her airbag her insurance will be void???? - I'm with MM so am really hoping they use their common sense - Just be mindful that you turn your airbag back on when you have not got the seat in place.

margaret
23-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I would also ensure you have written permission from parents to say child can go in front seat,quite a few parents dont allow it.

~Grasshopper~
23-07-2011, 07:33 PM
hiya,

what car do you have?? my old corsa didnt have a passenger airbag so was ok but my new focus has airbags that cant be turned off. it is sooo much safer anyway to have children in the back. i have bought 2 new car seats so if needed i can have 2 children (12mths and 15mths) in high back chairs 9mths to 12years ones and my own 4 year old in the middle on a compact booser cushion. i would rather my 4 year old was in his highback booster but its the only way i can fit 3 in the back. i got my new carseat from argos for £46 and its fab. xxx