PDA

View Full Version : autistic 3 year old

jadavi
22-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi I'm meeting with the parents this weekend to discuss looking after their 3 yo autistic boy one day a week while they give more attention to his brother on that day.#The kind of autism he has is full on active but with no sense of danger/ boundaries at all - ie will climb out of a window, no fear or aggression, minimum engagement and no eye contact no speech but some sounds, will only eat beige food ie scrambled eggs, loves music and rythmn

Any ideas anyone re activities and tips? Will try and take him out a lot - park and beach etc. and make music, dance etc.

Any experience of autism this young out there?
Also any good Wii games for the very young?

Cheers
jackie

angel9199
22-07-2011, 07:06 PM
My little boy has just turned three and autistic and he loves painting, play dough anything messy but you have to watch like a hawk cause he starts to try and eat the paint, play dough etc my ds also lives music and dancing but he usually only lasts about five ten mins. my ds does not play any wii games does not understand how to use the remote but lives to watch others play.
Also his fab toys are cars and dinosaurs etc but again I always play with him as left on his own he starts to line toys up instead if playing with them.
As a childminder with an autistic child the one thing that has been hard is watching him with the other children and he can lash out very suddenly so I never let him out of my sight, my ds also has no sense of danger at all which can be scary, I can not let him walk beside me always has to be in a buggy as he will make a run for it given a chance and will throw himself off any furniture tables etc.
This makes my ds sound like a little mad child but is the most loveliest little boy you can meet but just needs a bit of extra support and attention. I hope your meeting goes well and if you need any help for questions answered give me a shout and I'll try and help.

Bitsy Beans
22-07-2011, 08:05 PM
My own DS has ASD although I think he's higher functioning that the little boy you've described.

I would be asking parents for what his possible triggers are ie. what things are likely to cause a full blown meltdown. Do they have any things they do as interventions to ease the anxiety. Does he have any special interests? Does he stim (self stimuation, flapping, making noises etc).

Every child with ASD is different. Some children like lots of sensory toys, some don't. It will really depend on what stimulation he can handle. Some like fiddle toys, others like things that vibrate or with flashing lights.

With regards to lack of speech, he may well use PECS (you can print ones off for free here (http://www.do2learn.com/)) or even Makaton but obviously parents will let you know how they communicate. You should be able to get some support from your local Early Years team.

I am by no means an expert but you want to pick my brains just let me know.

jadavi
22-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks both of you,

jac

jadavi
24-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi again, I have met the little lad. He's very lovable and engaged with everything but doesn't stop exploring...he'll dump out toys from boxes and then not play with anything.... I think TV will work but don't want to rely in that obviously. The secret is going to be what really engages him...would like to try some computer games but he is very heavy handed (only 2 and half) and haven't got child designed computers just a PC and a laptop...have got Wii zumba tho.

Starting this Wednesday...so any advice appreciated.

I'm taking him to a toddler group. He does bite when restrained - like on slide steps - so I have to be on him like a hawk. The toddler group leader is very supportive and willing to give it a go. I don't want to have to 'warn' the other mums for fear of them kind of shunning him with their kids but at the same time am a bit concerned....

cheers
jac

Jiorjiina
24-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Just wanted to say best of luck, it sounds like going to do a great job!

Bitsy Beans
25-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Did parents give you any pointers to what he likes to play with at home? Any specific interests eg trains? cars etc

You could try making a den (rather than rushing out and getting a dark den) and seeing if he likes sensory stuff like flashing lights or torches. You could try toys that spin, like a spinning top.

At his age my DS loved playdoh and putting his cars in it, wrapping them up, making footprints in it with figures etc. Really will be a question of offering him lots of variety and see if there's anything that captures his interest.

Good luck for Wednesday and no I wouldn't warn the other mums at toddler group.
Any other questions just ask :)

jadavi
25-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Bitsy,

I went to visit today and feel much better now. He was very affectionate and huggy with me which surprised the mum as he's not normally like that so that was good.

He does a lot of shouting and running in circles but also will giggle a lot and respond to jokes and 2 year old fun.

I have worked with autistic children for many years but have never found a child to be so engaging and using so much eye contact...there are so many different sides to the spectrum it is amazing..... They are so lucky having a diagnosis so early.

jac