PDA

View Full Version : Observations

snufflepuff
22-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm feeling a bit lost with observations at the moment. I do lots of short ones on post it notes, and many of these have 'next steps' to put on my planning.

I also do a full written observation each month, usually fills an A4 sheet of paper- and i'm finding them pointless. Do we have to do them? If so, does anyone have any tips for how I can make them more effective? At the moment I really have to think hard to find a 'next step' so often it's a bit vague. I feel like i'm wasting my time.

zippy
22-07-2011, 09:33 PM
i've just been on an observation course done by the ncma and she said a long one was filling a big post it note, she said there is no need for massive long obs especially if they are ineffective the most important thing is to remember you have to have an ob and evaluation and a next step you can't have one without the other, also you need to show that you have followed up eg a photo of when you do what you said in next steps, hope this helps

sarah707
23-07-2011, 08:05 AM
What bits are you finding pointless?

An obs should say something about the child - what he likes, doesn't like, can do, needs support doing, says, does etc.

You work with this to plan something new or exciting or consolidating etc that encourages him to learn more or develop new skills or practice.

So your obs might be J is pushing the bike with his feet on the floor (PD)... next steps to support J to use the pedals... a few weeks later a photo showing J pedalling along on the bike.

Or your obs might be K is wrapping teddies in blankets (KUW)... next steps to provide more wrapping experiences to follow K's apparent enveloping (wrapping things up) schema... next week a photo of K wrapping boxes with some paper she has potato printed (CD & PD) first.

Hth :D

The Juggler
23-07-2011, 01:08 PM
most of my obs are short ones. fit inside a speech bubble type thing. I sometimes have loads per child per month (if they are having a spurt on development in all areas) sometimes I have none.

If I'm honest I woudl like to do less but it's hard to NOT record the things you see.