PDA

View Full Version : First day of minding....

brightstart44
22-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi All

I was hoping to get some advice. I started minding this week, with a child aged 8 who at our first two visits was very polite and seemed calm and sensible. He arrived an hour and a half late on his first day with no call or text to say he would be late, and then during the course of the day he was picking on my son and rude to some passers by. He also explained to me that he 'battered' a boy at his last CM, by hitting him across the head with a plank of wood and riding into him with his bike.

Sooo.....

I don't know what to do. I've not discussed it with Mum yet, and I'm wondering whether to try and speak to his old CM (though as he does not fall under the EYFS I am not sure if she will share info - I assume it's not obligatory for Over 8's to share info?)

I know he has a CAF at school, but Mum did not give any further info about why other than he's a little behind with his reading.

And I made a mistake on my contract twofold - I only found out after speaking to an old CM. I've done myself out of bank holidays, and I also didn't put the settling in period on the contract. Hmph.

Help!!!!:(

Jiorjiina
23-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I think I replied to your post in another section!

From what you've said here, I would be very concerned. Contact the school and talk about the CAF with them there. Also contact your local authority and get some advice from them. If you do want to try and work with him, make sure you have support behind you.

Do you have an exclusion policy? If not, look at creating one pronto, as you could use that in the absence of a settling in period.

It still sounds like he's very unsettled and unhappy though.

jane5
23-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Anything you have forgotten to put in your contract, discuss with mum and tell her you have made a mistake by not adding the bank holidays and settling in period.

You dont have to live with your mistake of not including bank holidays because you can give notice on the old contract (mine is 4 weeks) and sign a new contract with with mum. This is your business and you make the rules and I know I couldn't afford to not be getting paid on bank holidays.

brightstart44
23-07-2011, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jiorjiina;959142]I think I replied to your post in another section!

From what you've said here, I would be very concerned. Contact the school and talk about the CAF with them there. Also contact your local authority and get some advice from them. If you do want to try and work with him, make sure you have support behind you.

Do you have an exclusion policy? If not, look at creating one pronto, as you could use that in the absence of a settling in period.

It still sounds like he's very unsettled and unhappy though.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply! Yes I did hijack someone else' post as I was desperately seeking advice so trawled through many threads. I checked my exclusion policy as I had incorporated a few policies and I have clause which states that I can terminate a contract with immediate effect if the child is likely to cause harm to other children in the setting. So I am covered, but I also state that I will discuss this with them first, and that is a last resort.

I am in an even more tricky position now as a lovely lady with her 5mth old daughter came to see me today and all being well I will be taking her on two afternoons per week. As it would be at the time I would have this older boy for after school, I feel I would not be happy having him here.

I will see how Monday goes and take it from there. Wow, it's amazing how much I am learning in week one!!

angeldelight
26-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Hows it going with the little boy now

Are you still having problems ?

Angel xx

brightstart44
26-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Hows it going with the little boy now

Are you still having problems ?

Angel xx

Hi sorry I have only just seen your reply! I am still having trouble, he has no self control, has started picking on my son, accidentally (or was it) smacked him over the head with a metal seesaw, etc etc. I just think with my family set up, of children aged 7, 5 and 2, that it is not going to work. My son is very sensitive, and the change of having this boy on our house is having a real negative effect on him.

I've spoken to Children's Services for advice today, and they will ring me back by the end of the day to help however they can. I've also emailed the old childminder to see if she would be prepared to let me have any info - though I know she may not be able to.

I hope that one way or another we'll have a resolution by the end of the week. My husband has even suggested that I mind this boy alone and he'll have our children in the week. Then we'll have 2 days as a family without my mindee and 2 days with just me and the children at weekend. Not ideal, but means that I can see summer out then she'll have to find someone else for the before/after school care from Sept.

Just feel like crying - I should have only ever taken on Under 5's.