PDA

View Full Version : Any 'green' Childminders out there??

vix84
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone, Im going through a nesting stage at the moment as my first baby is due in a few weeks! Im trying to replace all the heavy chemical products in the house with environmentally and child friendly stuff. So am using more natural cleaning products or eco stuff.
Has anyone ever encountered a Inspector that doesnt agree with this? ie. saying that you MUST use PROPER disinfectant etc. or are they all pretty suportive?

Also Im looking at the piles of toys I keep getting from car boots etc. and read an article about a child who has few plastic toys etc. and gets great learning from natural treasure baskets etc.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=458

My lack of imagination means I need help with similar activites etc. (probably due to the too many toys I had lol!)
Does anyone know of any other games/experiences etc. that doesnt involve all the shop toys?

Obviously I still let mindee's use all the toys I have, but I may put some away and introduce them once a week so they do not get bored with them etc.

Are there any other 'green' Childminders out there who have tips for a soon to be converted Childminder:)

allinatiz
04-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Hiya.

I use eco friendly products alongside the nasty ones. I am due my inspection any time now so will see if anything is said and report back (if I remember!).

For activities how about trying a sensory tray with natural materials in? I'm not very good at thinking of things like this and tend to browse the activity section on here because there's always loads of fab ideas on there!

Good luck to you in the next few weeks, hope all goes well!

vix84
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Good luck for your inspection, Im sure most Inspectors will think its great to promote ways of helping the environment, I just wonder if some inspectors may be a bit funny about it if its not what they are in to.
I am going to start using all eco stuff, apart from the bathroom cleaner and bleach as I havent found anything that can really make the bath and loo clean. Oh is an Engineer so always comes back oily, so I need a good cleaner! Oh well, we cant be perfect all the time!

The sensory tray is a great idea, will take the boys to collect a few twigs and other bits too and do a nature theme or something. Ive only got about 4 weeks left of Childminding before Im on maternity leave:( but :) that Ill soon have my baby! Ive decided to return after 3 mths though as Im really starting to get into my Childminding etc. and dont want to loose my ambition for it!

tulip0803
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
HI

I don't know about the inspectors sorry. But a treasure basket is quite easy and you don't even have to buy things if you don't want too. Things like a wooden spoon, pastry brush, empty cotton reel, fabric oddments, plug chain, fir cones, pots, small bags, metal teaspoon, natural sponge. Anything not plastic that a baby would enjoy exploring.

Cornflower and water mixed together makes "gloop" which is fascinating and addictive, I love it:)

Sensory experiences using rice, pasta, oats, dried pulses. I had a little girl who just stood for 30 mins letting porridge oats run through her hands.

Painting with mud. mix earth and water and paint on the path (washes away easily). I did this and they loved it but then asked for paper and painted mud on paper.

Home made play dough.

Glue made from flour and water.

sarah707
05-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I try to be green but I'm sure there are lots more things I could do.

I try to implement new things when I can, I talk to the children and get their support... then I end up doing it all myself and giving myself extra work! :rolleyes:

flora
05-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Good luck for your inspection, Im sure most Inspectors will think its great to promote ways of helping the environment, I just wonder if some inspectors may be a bit funny about it if its not what they are in to.
I am going to start using all eco stuff, apart from the bathroom cleaner and bleach as I havent found anything that can really make the bath and loo clean. Oh is an Engineer so always comes back oily, so I need a good cleaner! Oh well, we cant be perfect all the time!

The sensory tray is a great idea, will take the boys to collect a few twigs and other bits too and do a nature theme or something. Ive only got about 4 weeks left of Childminding before Im on maternity leave:( but :) that Ill soon have my baby! Ive decided to return after 3 mths though as Im really starting to get into my Childminding etc. and dont want to loose my ambition for it!

Try the Ecover bathroom and toilet cleaner, in fact I like all the ecover range. I use all of it from multi suface cleaner to stain remover. Vinegar down the loo works a treat too. Lavender and tea tree is a good " anti bac" spay. It's ace. We are mucky pups here on the farm and it copes with us perfectly! Washing we use soap nuts and ecover stain remover if dh is very mucky :D

My last inspector didn't say anything about my lack of bleach/ antibac etc. I can justify it at my next inpsection if they want me too. Won't bore you here :D

Green/ eco activities, puddle jumping, putting poweder paint into puddles and watching the colours mix, growing stuff, worm farm, recycling, model making using boxes, old fabric etc etc.

I think you can count it as green if you use resources sensibly, reuse where possible, share with other minders / use a toy library so you are not buying all the time. If you do buy new, only buy what you need.
Walk as much as poss.

Good luck

Pipsqueak
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty green after going on certain rides - does that count???? lol:laughing:

I must admit that I would love to be more "green" but I still buy the more hardcore chemical stuff! (sorry).

I have taken on board man in a white coats advice about various things. I have also stopped using the plug in air-freshners (am a fresh air freak anyway)
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Triggers.aspx

http://www.saferhouses.co.uk/HouseholdChemiclas.html

http://www.safekids.co.uk/HazardCleaningProductsChildren.html

flora
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty green after going on certain rides - does that count???? lol:laughing:

I must admit that I would love to be more "green" but I still buy the more hardcore chemical stuff! (sorry).

I have taken on board man in a white coats advice about various things. I have also stopped using the plug in air-freshners (am a fresh air freak anyway)
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Triggers.aspx

http://www.saferhouses.co.uk/HouseholdChemiclas.html

http://www.safekids.co.uk/HazardCleaningProductsChildren.html

Pipsqueak, try the ecover stuff. It really is good. We are not the cleanest of houses with the farm and the dogs and dh, so to keep Oftsed happy the stuff has to be good:D If you try it and then don't like it at least you tried.
If anyone wants to try soap nut pm me with your address and I'll bung some in the post for you :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
05-05-2008, 06:52 PM
My sister uses the Ecover stuff and swears by it - she is quite a mother earth type person and doesn't even use fabric conditioner:eek:

What are soap nuts Flora?

vix84
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Ive had a very green weekend!
I cleaned today using the ecover washing liquid, mixed with boiling water for the floors, and with water and a drop of tea tree oil to damp dust instead of polish.
I used the Ecover bathroom cleaner, although I may give the vinegar and bicarb. a go at some point. But I did use bleach in the loo so I may try to get some Borax powder and see how that goes.

Those sites were helpful so thanks for sharing:)

The only downside : I didnt put the tea tree oil lid on properly and half of it leaked in my bag so the house and my bag really stink:mad: :)

Chell
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I use some ecover products but they are expensive. www.summernaturals.co.uk specilaises in green cleaning. if you read through the product descriptions it goves some tips about how to use various natural products such as vinegar, soap nuts, bicarb, etc,

flora
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
:D
My sister uses the Ecover stuff and swears by it - she is quite a mother earth type person and doesn't even use fabric conditioner:eek:

What are soap nuts Flora?

Soap nuts are well... soap nuts :D They are brown shrivelled looking things that clean your washing. They grow in india and realease a thing called sarponin which washes your clothes and no need for pongy fabric softner. I use 4 halves in a net bag and this washes at least 6 washes. they are fab. once you are done you just compost them :thumbsup:

Pauline
08-05-2008, 06:36 AM
If you can back up your reasons for doing things then I don't think the inspector should have a problem. It's being able to explain why you do things that is important, support your reasons with some good evidence, articles etc. and you should be fine - inspectors don't know everything! :)

Tatia
08-05-2008, 07:13 AM
If your home is clean and tidy, it may not even occur to them to ask what products you are using anyway. I can't remember if they ask specifically. Don't think mine did but as we all know, they differ in their approaches ever so slightly.:rolleyes: