PDA

View Full Version : confused

mushpea
21-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I have a schoolie before and after school and in the holidays,, I have made the descion to do term time only for schoolies and so will be giving the parents notice for the holidays, I am saying in the letter that I am happy to give term time care but not holiday care and am therefore giving you 2 weeks notice as per our contract to end the holiday part of the care,, I will then be writing out new contracts for them,, am i still entitled to ask for the money for the notice period ? if they choose to use holiday clubs from the start but still want me in term time can I still ask for the 2 weeks money? am I right in thinking that effectivly i am starting new contracts with them?

miffy
21-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes because that is the notice period - make it clear in your termination letter that you are willing to work the notice period and expect to be paid in full even if they choose to go elsewhere.

Miffy xx

singingcactus
21-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I guess you are entitled to notice period payment. I can't see anyone pulling their kids early anyway since there is no way they will be able to get them into care clubs at this late stage with only one school day left till holidays begin. I imagine they will have to take the rest of the holidays off work so will already be losing at least 4 weeks pay, so they won't want to lose 6 weeks by pulling them earlier.

caz3007
21-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Personally, I dont think I could give them notice at this late stage before the holidays. Whilst I realise you only have to give two weeks notice in your contract it may be hard in your area for them to get into a holiday club or find another childminder and I realise its not your problem, but I couldnt do that to my parents, but thats me

Mouse
21-07-2011, 05:42 PM
To be fair to parents, I would have give notice BEFORE the holidays started, so that they had time to sort something else out. Or I would work these holidays and make it clear that term time only contracts would come into force from September. It seems a bit rough on them thinking they've got their holiday cover sorted, then suddenly finding out they hadn't. There's a good chance they won't come back to you for term time care if you dump on them now.

If you're giving notice now & expecting some parents to use the holiday club straight away, but still pay you 2 weeks notice, it would look as if you had waited until now in the hope that you'd get 2 weeks notice period at full day pay, rather than 2 weeks at term time pay.