PDA

View Full Version : Maternitu

buzzy bee
21-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Just wondering for anyone who has had a baby whilst childminding... what did you do about it - did you stop working / cut down your numbers / take holiday for a few weeks / carry on with school run etc etc. And if you got government maternity how much do you get - is it the SMP £100+ a week?

I'm not pregnant but considering it at some point in the future, and just wondering whether it's better to take time off or carry on working. I'd imagine if I took any long period of time off for maternity that my parents would want to find someone new permantently rather than find someone temporary and unsettle their kids!

QualityCare
21-07-2011, 07:45 AM
It was along time ago now but l carried on childminding until 4 weeks before due date at the time l had 3 under 5 (1 of which was due to start nursery)and 1 l collected from school older brother of the one starting nursery. All were told early on when l would be stopping minding and that l did not anticipating starting again straight away. They were given 8 weeks written notice. Mum of the 2 brothers asked me to let her know when l was going to start again others found alternative care. 6 weeks after DS born and as it was summer l decided to start minding again at first l just did the after school run for the two brothers( term time only) and then another one from the same school again term time only. 2nd son born 17mths later same arrangement as before after school only.Once mine were at full time school l did not take on after school children but started day times again. I just felt that when mine were little day times were for them and once at school after school was there time for me. We could have desperately done with the money if l minded full time when they were little but my children come first.
You have to do whats right for you and your baby.

Roseolivia
21-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I've just come off maternity leave. I finished 6wks before due date (insurance up for renewal) and have had September till now off. I lost all my mindees anyway due to parents on maternity, mindees starting different school or moving. I'm starting afresh and it's slow at the moment but i've enjoyed the time off.

moogster1a
21-07-2011, 12:36 PM
i worked until my due date, then took off the summer holidays( very good boy being born on the day schools broke up! ) and took everyone back after the hols.
All the parents were fine about it. I offered to find them someone else for the 6 weeks but 'cos it was holidays they all managed to cobble something together.
Lo is now 1 year and has a new best mate who's 14 months. Worked out really fab

leeloo1
21-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Wow Moogster, how did you manage to work til your due date? How many children did you have/what ages? Its very impressive! I was the size of a whale by then with my LO (who was 2 weeks overdue! and ended up 9lbs 4) and very, very tired.

I'm thinking about having number 2, but have been putting it off as logistically I can't see how it'll work. I keep swinging between deciding I'll be having a long mat leave - which means retaining my sanity, but losing all my mindees and having a short mat leave...

I think I'll end up working til 2-3 weeks beforehand and having 6 weeks off after. :( It takes so long to build business up I'm not sure I can face starting again from scratch.

mindingmummy
31-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Im also looking onto all of this. I am full at the moment with my early years children but would live to have a 2nd baby of my own.

Cant afford to have lots of time off work or lose all my customers. Dont really know if having another baby will be viable. :(

moogster1a
31-07-2011, 05:07 PM
i had my own lo who was 4, then 5yo, 8yo and a 2 yr old.
I guess I thought I've got to be mobile and up and about for my little boy so I might as well have his friends as well!
I found it hard to walk for the last 2 weeks or so so it was a very slow shuffle doing the school run.

boxtree7
31-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I worked to my due date and then my little one decided to be 2 weeks late so i came home from hospital on saturday and back to work on Monday. I used an assistant from 3.00pm - 6.00 pm 3 days a week for 12 months. I now care 3 babies all born within 3 months of each other. (and still use an assistant, cleaner & gardener).

love381
01-08-2011, 05:30 AM
With my first I lived and worked with my mum, so we didn't close at all! With my second, my minds all took their hold at the time he was born! With my third I was lucky and had a week off! With my fourth I had 36 hours off!

It all depends on what you want to do and how you feel! X