PDA

View Full Version : Dummies

mad house
20-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Hello when would you speak to a parent about limiting dummies if there constantly in there mouth!! And what is your routines for dummies? Do you allow children to play and have them or are they just for rest time? Thanks

blue bear
20-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Depends on age and how long they have been with me really, but the three I have with dummies all 2 come in hand them over and they go in the fruit bowl(empty one) until bed time or home time. I have never had to introduce this it just happens naturally think they learn from seeing other children do it and just hand them over because that is what they have seen some one else do it.

I personally think dummies are for comfort and cannot be used for comfort if they have them in their mouths constantly.

singingcactus
20-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't speak with parents about them. At my house I try to limit when they are used, usually to just sleeping. Although I like my current little chap to use his when he is teething badly cos everything goes into his mouth otherwise..toys, sofas, tables, other people!
I don't have a policy or routine for dummies, I just prefer to offer their mouths a chance to talk rather than suck. It's up to parents what happens at home.

Babycat
20-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Dummies are soothers. So it depends on the child. Just new, bad day, bad week, teething things that make them need it. I dont see a problem with them.

If they are on the floor pick it up and prevent it being a risk for other children. Your resources should be cleaned regularly enough to prevent cross infection.

And if you do see it on the floor Id put it away or sterilise (not sure how CMs sterlise!) for nap time. In my setting I sometimes ask child 'Can Pamela have it for your box?' and if they say no just respond with 'can you give me it when you are finished?' and in that all the children seem to come in and give me their dummies!

Personally I dont like dummies but even my LO has one! He was sooking on everything the minute he was born and even after feeding so I gave him it! He uses his well, spits it out when he's finished and sometimes doesnt take it at all. They are funny things.

Rubybubbles
20-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't speak with parents about them. At my house I try to limit when they are used, usually to just sleeping. Although I like my current little chap to use his when he is teething badly cos everything goes into his mouth otherwise..toys, sofas, tables, other people!
I don't have a policy or routine for dummies, I just prefer to offer their mouths a chance to talk rather than suck. It's up to parents what happens at home.

same. I only have 1 with a dummy and lo is 18 months old, came from another childminder who let lo walk around everywhere with it:(

But lol come in and straight away hasn't asked for it, I give it to lo for sleep!

loocyloo
20-07-2011, 09:42 PM
i have a new LO who, first day, didn't want to take her dummy out of her mouth, 2nd day, dummy was in her bag; she asked for it, and i said we would get it when we had finished XYZ and she then forgot and only had it for a quiet time

3rd day is next week, and i'm hoping for the same again! LO is coming up 3, so i will be suggesting she takes it out so i can understand what she is saying, and she talks! alot :D

The Juggler
20-07-2011, 09:44 PM
for settling in I'd allow as much as poss. after that I try to encourage it put away and only for sleeps for young children. def. with older children, they come in, pop it in a bowl (or similar) and have it ONLY for naps.

If there was speech delay or speech problems I may raise it with mum and dad but I have a 'parents guide to dummy use.....' I give to all parents that start with me if the children use dummies - this recommends they are thrown away at 1 year.

Babycat
20-07-2011, 10:21 PM
If there was speech delay or speech problems I may raise it with mum and dad but I have a 'parents guide to dummy use.....' I give to all parents that start with me if the children use dummies - this recommends they are thrown away at 1 year.

Oh where did you get this? sounds good! Im working on a parents booklet just now! x

Penny1959
21-07-2011, 04:48 AM
During settling in days the children are allowed the dummies as much as they want - following home routines / their prefered comfort object.

But once settled (will depend on child how long that is) they are encouraged to put on mantlepiece in full view - they can then ask for them if they need them. I encourage them to sit on the soft mat / book area when they feel they need their dummy - as my view is it is fine if you need your dummy for comfort reasons but if you feel up to playing then you don't need your dummy.

I have twins who are almost 18m and they give me their dummies when they enter the setting - mummy said this week 'I think it is so good how they do that - I am trying to train Daddy to do the same for them at home'

One thing that always amuses me is how a child can manage without a dummy all day - even for nap time - but the minute mummy or daddy come to collect they demand the dummy - and are given it!

Penny :)

christine e
21-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Oh where did you get this? sounds good! Im working on a parents booklet just now! x

Your health visitor or local children's centre will most likely have a leaflet (our does) but have found this via google
http://www.thurrock.gov.uk/children/under3/pdf/0-3_dump_the_dummy.pdf

mushpea
21-07-2011, 06:08 AM
once the child is settled in they only have them for naps here unless they are very upset over somthing,
most of the children happily put them in their bags then as soon as mum comes they go straight back in.
it also depends on the age of the child,, I had a 3yrold still with a dummy and one day a parent forgot the babys dummy so I spoke to the 3yrold about how there wasnt enough dummies for the babies and would she be kind enough to give hers to the dummy fairy for the babies , she left it out on the slide and the next day a little chocolate bar with a pretty rosete appeared, she was happy and never had a dummy again and the parent was happy with this too,, we did txt the parent first to confirm this was ok.

kel1983
21-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I have a 22 month old who started with me weeks ago. He uses a dummy. I asked mum the first day whether she takes it way from him. She said he had been using it more due to lots of changes at home but wad happy for me to tae it away when he doesnt need it. So the first time he took a drink he took it out and put it down at which point I took it away quickly and hid it.

He didnt ask for it until nap time when I gave it back to him.

The second week I had him his mum didnt even bring his dummy :eek: . Got very upset when it was nap time cause he didnt have it.

4 weeks in and mum still forgets to put it in the bag. I ended up going out and buying a pack so that he had one for nap time only.

caz3007
21-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I have a Lo whose dummy is always clipped to her coat when she arrives, but here so only has it at nap time or if she is tired or falls over, but only as a last resort other than nap and she is fine with that.

I used to look after a little boy who didnt speak but was 18 months. I only gave him his dummy here at nap time but as soon as I handed him over mum would get his dummy out and put it in his mouth. He became a totally different child at that point, much more babyish and think she liked it like that.

ziggy
21-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I have 2 with dummies. The eldest one (3 in october) has his constantly at home but here he just hands it to me when he comes in the door saying 'put it up high' It sits on the dresser till nap time and he's more than happy without it. if he is ill or has bad fall he knows he can have it.

The baby comes with hers clipped to her bib but i remove both and again give it back at nap time.

As soon as mummies arrive the children look for dummies! Both mummies are more than happy that they dont have dummies constantly while here.