PDA

View Full Version : Storing toys in sheds

snufflepuff
20-07-2011, 07:53 PM
A question for those who store toys in a shed- do you find the toys smell musty?

At the moment i've only got garden toys in the shed- balls, slide, ride on toys, tent etc. I find that the shed always smells a bit musty. In the Winter we bought the slide indoors and had to take it back out a few days later because I found the smell overpowering- took a few days for my living room to smell normal again!

It's a fairly old (wooden) shed and needs replacing- which may or may not be the reason for the smell. I wanted to replace it with a huge one and start storing toys in it, so I can have my spare bedroom back. But if everything is going to smell I don't think it will work!

flowerpots
20-07-2011, 08:01 PM
were going to get a metal/plastic shed, hopefully it wont happen with those?

xxx

karensmart4
20-07-2011, 08:06 PM
We only store outdoor toys in the shed as like yours its a bit old and things start to have a bit of a whiff about them if they're in there for too long.

I never keep anything material/soft cushions etc in there in case they go mouldy :eek:

jumpinjen
20-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Seal them in plastic storgae tubs with lock tight handles? Then no musty air getting round them? I think air movement has a lot to do with it, a shut up shed doesn't have much.... but I store mine in my garage in sealed tubs and I'm in and out to do laundry, get the buggy, get bikes etc etc so it doesn't get stagnant in there.

jen x

mushpea
20-07-2011, 08:10 PM
we have one metal shed and one wooden shed,, the metal shed i only use for plastic or outdoor toys as the damp gets in and the toys go mouldy,, the wooden shed dosent seem as bad for damp and nothing has gone mouldy in there as yet. I dont find the toys smell musty but then I reguarly open the sheds up on dry days to air them,, even in the winter if we have a dry spell I will leave them open for acouple of hours to let the air in. I also rotate toys weekly so they are never in there for more than a month so that helps

dolly12345
16-08-2011, 02:02 PM
You could perhaps buy some strong polythene sacks. When you place the toys in them make sure you squeeze all the air out and tie them closed tightly. You could perhaps buy some cable ties which will let you ratchet the bags closed.

Cammie Doodle
16-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I have had that prob too, but since having my new super dooper shed and racking its a thing of the past :clapping: . Word of warning I was told metal sheds have a lot of condensation, not had one, but a friend has.
All my equipment is in lidded labelled boxes on the racks . I used some Funding to buy it . My family and friends think Im mad, but I sooooo love my shed lol:blush:

pinklady
16-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Seal them in plastic storgae tubs with lock tight handles? Then no musty air getting round them? I think air movement has a lot to do with it, a shut up shed doesn't have much.... but I store mine in my garage in sealed tubs and I'm in and out to do laundry, get the buggy, get bikes etc etc so it doesn't get stagnant in there.

jen x

I've used plastic storage boxes in my shed too & had no probs :thumbsup: