PDA

View Full Version : Help me! Feel like a new childminder again!

Fabby
20-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone!

Not posted for a very long while but need your help

I have been off on maternity since december and due to get up and running again come september. I have a visit tomorrow from a parent after just after school care for her 5 year old and 9 year old.

What kind of things will the 5 year old and more so the 9 year old want to do for the 2 hours they are with me after school. Thinking snack, reading, free play inc garden and a bit of chill out time with the tv maybe??

Also, how will it be tomorrow on the meet? What shall i talk to the parent about? Should i have something out for the 2 to be occupied with? If so, what?

Really feel all new to this again!!!!

Thanks in advance ! x

flowerpots
20-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Just be yourself hun, remember exactly how FAB you are :thumbsup:

I think the activities you would do after school sound great, mine also enjoy something crafty.

I usually just go with the flow with after school initial visits and talk to the children and parents about what they like to do after school at the moment, explain the activities that will be on offer, invite the children (and parents) to have a look around.

Good luck hun. :D

Goatgirl
20-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi :),
First of all, dont panic: it'll be fine :).
For those ages I would have drawing/colouring stuff and paper out, maybe some glitter glue and pritt stick, scissors, bits of ribbon or other craft bits and pieces.
Then maybe some play doh?
Lego or duplo also goes down well with my after schoolies.
I have the living room set up as though children are there for visits, even out of hours, as I find it more child friendly, so would have my fabric play house opened up rather than folded away, with play food, babies in buggies etc available.
I have a lots of books, so would just rearrange so that the ones likely to appeal to that age group are where they can spot them.
A game of some kind might work - pop up pirate or that kind of thing maybe?

Cars and fold out road mat, dinosaurs, play food, train set... Just about any age group I have found love to put together the foam alphabet and number tiles from Early learning.

Just imagine being 5 or 9 yr old size, walking in... what would you want to play with first?...

If the time means it's not likely to spoil their dinner, how about that old favourite - icing in tubes to decorate a biscuit?!

Hope it goes well: good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes, Wendy :)

Fabby
20-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Thankyou! What do 9 year old boys like to get up to nowadays??

zippy
20-07-2011, 09:19 PM
check out the site i have just posted for kids experiments you won't get stuck for ideas on there

loocyloo
20-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Thankyou! What do 9 year old boys like to get up to nowadays??

my 9 yr old boy likes to kick a football, small ball, any ball, any object around !! :rolleyes: finally learning ONLY outside!

lego/knex ( or duplo ;) )

reading harry potter

craft, but likes there to be an obvious creation at the end of it! baker ross kits are a life saver!

scooby doo

yesterday, he was running round in the rain pouring water from the water tray over his head :rolleyes: i do worry about him sometimes, but at least he is my own son !!! :laughing:

cockatoos
21-07-2011, 04:48 AM
My 4 year old and 9 year old sons love making dens. Then they pile nearly all the toys and anything else they can find into it! They also love dressing up, mainly as pirates.