PDA

View Full Version : Water butt lid....help please

Curvylou
20-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Hello

I had my first visit yesterday but one of my action points was to secure the lid on my water butt...which is already raised off the ground so the lid is about the height of my neck with no ledges around to step on but still they want it to be secured down.

Has anyone else had to do this and if so how did you do it?

Thanks

lulubelle
20-07-2011, 08:33 AM
they asked me about mine to but luckily i said mine is in the walk way from the house to the garden and is fenced off when the children are outside playing! luckily she seemed happy with that! not sure what else we are meant to do with them!!!

francinejayne
20-07-2011, 08:35 AM
my hubby just built a little fence around it. doesn't look too pretty but does the job!

kel1983
20-07-2011, 08:36 AM
We have 2 water butts in reach of the children Ofsted did check these when they did our pre reg inspection but we have ones which you need a screwdriver to remove the lid so were ok.

I suppose one option is to glue the lid in place. Depends if you need to access the top.

angeldelight
20-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Thank goodness we don't have one :laughing:

Angelxx

rickysmiths
20-07-2011, 08:47 AM
If you go online or into a local garden centre you should be able to get a lid that is child proof in that it fits on the top and turns which locks it.

If it is a slimline butt like mine in my front garden then the lid sits inside a ridge and locks down with three buttons that drop into holes on the rim. If it was out the back I would just put a couple of briks or simlar in order to wieight the lid down.

It is all a bit silly if there is nothing to stand on and it is off the ground and therefore so high no toddler would get at it anyway. I guess you need a robust RA to show how you manage any risk?

Curvylou
20-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all your advice....will see what I can get at the garden centre.

I think the stangest comment was to remove my washing line...its higher than me at 5ft 4 and she said to remove it...my husband asked if I was going to be looking after monkeys when I told him that comment...:laughing:

lulubelle
20-07-2011, 09:11 AM
where are u meant to dry your clothes then???? mine didnt say anything about my washing line!

kel1983
20-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I have a rotary line. I just check the strings are not hanging low as part of my risk assessment. On nice days I have my washing hung out too. The children have plenty of space to run free in even with this up

Ripeberry
20-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all your advice....will see what I can get at the garden centre.

I think the stangest comment was to remove my washing line...its higher than me at 5ft 4 and she said to remove it...my husband asked if I was going to be looking after monkeys when I told him that comment...:laughing:

Is there no way of maybe drilling the plastic near the top and securing with cable ties? If you need access, you just cut the cable ties and replace them.

sweets
20-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Is there no way of maybe drilling the plastic near the top and securing with cable ties? If you need access, you just cut the cable ties and replace them.

now thats a good idea :thumbsup:

not that i have a water butt but if i did thats what i'd do :laughing:

SammyM
20-07-2011, 01:23 PM
now thats a good idea :thumbsup:

not that i have a water butt but if i did thats what i'd do :laughing:

This fab idea makes me want to go out and get a water-butt just so i can secure the top :happy banana: :happy banana: :happy banana:

Jiorjiina
20-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I have a rotary line. I just check the strings are not hanging low as part of my risk assessment. On nice days I have my washing hung out too. The children have plenty of space to run free in even with this up

I have a washing line cover for mine, with a drawstring to close it up at the bottom. this going to be OK?

PixiePetal
20-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I have a washing line cover for mine, with a drawstring to close it up at the bottom. this going to be OK?

I had a cover for mine which zipped up - it was fine for 14 years and many inspections like that!:thumbsup:

I have a very old rotary now - came with the house we now live in. It has a handle to crank the pole higher so even big stuff is way off the ground :thumbsup: