PDA

View Full Version : Had a phone call....

Tracy123
19-07-2011, 08:45 PM
from a parent wanting her children in with me for some of the school hols and after school care in Sept. She was asking how much i would charge for both and i said i would get back to her as i havent thought about this.
What does everyone else charge for siblings?
1 is 7 and the other is 9
I am charging £3.50ph

boxtree7
19-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I would not give discount ...

caz3007
19-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I dont offer a discount, especially bearing in mind the ages of the children, they eat more and in my experience are much harder work than the LO's. For after school I charge £10 per session until 5 and my usual rate £4.25 per hour

Zoomie
19-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Charge your normal rate, maybe for a minimum of 2 hour per day for both children.

However, if you have a breakfast / after school club just check their prices for comparison, but don't sell yourself short - much lower ratios, probably a home cooked meal etc etc.

Good luck

Tracy123
19-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I thought everyone charged less for siblings. I know them and they are really nice and very pleasant. I have worked in the school across the road from where i live now and my last day is Friday then its me by myself!! So i have worked with them before and they are lovely. I also dont do dinner they provide their own so feel like i need to do discount. Maybe half price for 2nd child... so would be £5.50 and want 2 days in hols as im not starting straight away on holiday first.
so 8hrs @5.50= £44
I think this would be fine. but cant believe you guys dont charge less. Dont know why i thought everyone did.

marnieb
20-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Because 2 children - especially under 8's - are taking up 2 spaces, so why would you charge less and 'do' yourself out of money??????

lol - this is somehting I've learnt from this site!!! :thumbsup:

mama2three
20-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Id say half price for second child is too much discount!
How about a day rate of £50 , youre still knocking off £6 a day which is more than 10% - more than fair!
Siblings are individuals and we must treat them as individuals from every aspect , paperwork onwards. So really we should charge them as individuals - no ( or minimal) discount!

Ripeberry
20-07-2011, 06:30 AM
I have two siblings aged 1yr and 2yrs old, but my discount is only 20p for the oldest. If you are happy to give half price then go for it. At least you'll get some money over the holidays :)

angeldelight
20-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I have three sets of families and give discount to all

My advice though is don't do it,charge full fees.
I am far to soft and my parents all get tax credits so sometimes lately when I have worked ten hour days I do resent it

Will the parent get tax credits?If they will then def charge your full fee for both children

Good luck

Angel xx

AliceK
20-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't offer a sibling discount. I have been asked before and said no. 2 children are no less work because they are siblings,in fact very often they are more work, why should I? Don't sell yourself short.

xxx

little chickee
20-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't offer a sibling discount either - 2 kids, 2 spaces, twice the work so 2 full fees.

If i was at risk of losing potential mindees because i dont do a discount i would offer a small discount to secure the work.

Something like 2 full day spaces would be £67.50 and i would do it for £60 - effectively 1 hour for free. But thats it.

mushpea
20-07-2011, 11:06 AM
why wouldnt you charge your normal rate?
both children are going to be as much work as each other and the parent and ofsted expect you to treat them as individuals so charges should reflect this.

Tracy123
20-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I just feel it is alot to ask from a parent! im no good asking for money im a wimp :blush: !!!
I have just received my contracts today and im baffled already! I dont know the answer to most of the things!! God i need to pull myself together and get sorted!!!

Lady Haha
20-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I had two siblings that I charged full rate for! I did feel bad as it was alot of money in the school hols, but hey ho!!!

The thing about siblings is they are more of a risk if anything! If one leaves, they both leave! And I found they were harder work because they argued all the time!

flowerpots
20-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I had two siblings that I charged full rate for! I did feel bad as it was alot of money in the school hols, but hey ho!!!

The thing about siblings is they are more of a risk if anything! If one leaves, they both leave! And I found they were harder work because they argued all the time!

This is how i justify (to myself) not giving a sibling discount.:p

karensmart4
20-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I do give a discount :blush: I charge £3.50 an hr for the 1st child and £3.00 an hr for siblings.

Karen

love381
20-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I do give a discount and it's because 1. I am happy to and happy with the fees and 2. I understand how expensive childcare can be when you have more than one child. If I was to charge my full rate for more than one child a parent may as well not go to work as I'd be taking more than their hourly wages off them (especially if they were on minimum wage!!)

Do what you are happy with! As you say, you won't be doing dinner so feel you almost 'have' to give a discount, then this is what you should do!!

My discounts are that great, I have a siblings waiting list!! x

Tracy123
20-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I do give a discount and it's because 1. I am happy to and happy with the fees and 2. I understand how expensive childcare can be when you have more than one child. If I was to charge my full rate for more than one child a parent may as well not go to work as I'd be taking more than their hourly wages off them (especially if they were on minimum wage!!)

Do what you are happy with! As you say, you won't be doing dinner so feel you almost 'have' to give a discount, then this is what you should do!!

My discounts are that great, I have a siblings waiting list!! x

Hope you dont mind me ask about what discount do you give?

love381
21-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Hope you dont mind me ask about what discount do you give?

Of course I don't mind you asking.

Normal after school rate is £3.00, but I do 2 children for £4.50. Evening meal is normally £1.00, but two meals for £1.50.

Sometimes, if I know parents are really struggling financially (as I live in a very socially and economically deprived area), I will do £5.00 for 2 children including a meal each. (I do it then I can feel happy that the children have had a decent meal!!)

All snacks and drinks are already included in my fee! x