PDA

View Full Version : Your CMDO

snufflepuff
19-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I've been minding since March last year and my CMDO hasn't been in touch once. (I was told on my ICP course they visit before your pre-reg visit and again before your first inspection)

I went on a training course last week and the lady running it said she is now the new CMDO for my area. She seemed really lovely, and has sent me an email saying that if I ever want a support visit I should just let her know.

So, do I want a visit?! What does it involve? I'm a bit worried she will pick on all my paperwork and get me all stressed out!

What are your CMDO's like? Are they supportive? Do you feel that they help or hinder?!

sarah707
19-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Mine is lovely... just remember that they are there to give advice not criticise or tell you how to do things.

You take their advice, consider it and decide if you want to use it in your business.

I am sure she will appreciate feeling welcomed :D

snufflepuff
20-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I think i'll invite her round in a few weeks time, give me a chance to double check everything is in order....i'd be so upset if she tells me i'm doing something wrong! I reckon i'll be as nervous as I was for my inspection, lol!

Penny1959
20-07-2011, 08:05 AM
All CMDO 's are different and have different titles.

Some just chat and ask what you would like to discuss
Some come with a list of things they want to discuss and look at
Some want to check every thing

Some offer advice
Some discuss
Some try to tell you what to do - and give the impression that there is only way - their way!

As Sarah says you do not have to take their advice - so listen - decide if will work for your setting - or if can take some aspect of it.

Hope your is of the chat / discuss type.

Mine is of the pop round for a coffee type - but that maybe because I used to work with her - when I was CMDO!

Penny :)

Pixie dust
20-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Mine is lovely too. She arranges lots of training/info sessions and gives lots of helpful advice.

lulubelle
20-07-2011, 09:14 AM
what is a CMDO?

AliceK
20-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Mine is useless :( . We get absolutely no support around here. Mine popped over after I had my first inspection, admitted she should have been to see me before my inspection. That was the first and only time I have seen her other than on my ICP course. If it wasn't for another very experienced childminder I'm friendly with I really would feel as if I am on my own.

xxxx

Penny1959
20-07-2011, 12:12 PM
what is a CMDO?

a CMDO is a Childminding Development Officer

Yours could be called a childminding coordinator or a development officer or an improvement advisor or half a dozen different titles

Penny :)

lulubelle
20-07-2011, 12:37 PM
not heard from one of those!!!

HomefromHome
20-07-2011, 12:38 PM
we have a county childminding association and ours are from there - they are fab, lots of advice etc, have a fab website etc. they offer support to all new minders, run the network side of things too. we are very lucky here.

blue bear
20-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Mine is fabulous, mind you I have met many with different rates of usefulness!

Invite her round but explain what you feel you need/ might find useful before hand. I find it's much like being a first time mum you get given lots of advice but it's up to you to sort through it and decide what works you.

karensmart4
20-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Ours is ok, she comes round for a 'support' visit, she looks through various things, tells us we're 'spot on' then say's, "if you just do this....." :eek:

She does keep us up to date on new things such as Ofsted wanting us to cut sauages up in sticks, not circles, and the danger of nappy sacks.

She also arranges monthy drop-ins for us which is quite nice.

Invite her round, if she's new she would appriciate the kindness :)

Karen

mushpea
20-07-2011, 08:12 PM
our old one was lovley but was a bit hopless with the advice side but she meant well bless her
the new one I havent met as yet but not sure if thats because i am no longer a member of the NCMA and have my insurance with MM?

Cammie Doodle
20-07-2011, 08:35 PM
My old was was brill, and so was her replacement:blush: , but since recent shuffle nothing ,not even a phone call, letter of introduction nothing :(

Cammie Doodle
20-07-2011, 09:09 PM
My old was was brill, and so was her replacement:blush: , but since recent shuffle nothing ,not even a phone call, letter of introduction nothing :(

snufflepuff
20-07-2011, 09:12 PM
the new one I havent met as yet but not sure if thats because i am no longer a member of the NCMA and have my insurance with MM?

Do you have to be an NCMA member? I'm fairly sure ours are employed by the council

sarah707
20-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Do you have to be an NCMA member? I'm fairly sure ours are employed by the council

No you don't need to be an NCMA member! :D

manjay
20-07-2011, 09:34 PM
No you don't need to be an NCMA member! :D

Sarah is right. If your LA use NCMA to provide a coordinator it is a package they fund NCMA to provide. As it is council funded then it is a service available to all whether you are a member of NCMA or not.

I think it is important to remember that each LA will have different criteria for each DO. In our area we had a visit before registration which is in the remit of her job but other than that we have to contact her if we need something. There is not enough funding to keep on visiting once we are registered. Every area works differently.

mrs c
21-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Ours is useless. Gives rubbish advice and was a bit confused and out of her depth when EYFS was introduced. She keeps saying what she used to do as a childminder and some of the things she comes out with make me think she was rubbish at that as well. Keep hoping she will move on so we can get a new one. :laughing:

Lady Haha
21-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Mine is lovely too! I have asked her round twice in the last couple of years. I just think of her visit as a less formal Ofsted inspection! I dont' get stressed about it cos she isn't going to grade me or strike me off, but I like the 'practice' feeling of it!!!

Whats this cutting sausages into sticks, not circles business???? I assume it's to do with choking? If so, I'm okay cos mine are all schoolies. I know they could still choke, but they eat lots of small things!

Sarahbelle
21-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Mine is lovely too! I have asked her round twice in the last couple of years. I just think of her visit as a less formal Ofsted inspection! I dont' get stressed about it cos she isn't going to grade me or strike me off, but I like the 'practice' feeling of it!!!

Whats this cutting sausages into sticks, not circles business???? I assume it's to do with choking? If so, I'm okay cos mine are all schoolies. I know they could still choke, but they eat lots of small things!

Yes, it is to do with choking. There was a recent case where a child at Nursery died, despite all the efforts of the staff to dislodge the sausage, which was cut into circles, and had got stuck in child's throat.