PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else in this situation

adele1985
19-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Just woundering how busy you all are. since starting up on my own in may ( long story....feel free to have a look at my older post "What would you do" )I have one little boy who stayed with me who does 5 mornings a week and I also have one I have afterschool two days a week. The morning mindee starts full time school in september and dispite putting leaflets in my local shops ect I have had no intrest at all - im also registerd with my local family information service but again have had no intrest from there.

Ive only been minding for a year so dont really know how things work as far as september intake goes

is anyone else in this sitution - I really love being a childminder but to be a childminder I need children to mind lol getting really worried that ive worked so hard getting my playroom all set up and might have to lose it all and go back to work which I REALLY DONT want to do

has anyone else been in a similer situation.... any help would be appriciated

Pixie dust
19-07-2011, 03:13 PM
There have been a few post recently from childminders with the same thing. I have spaces and to be honest not get many inquiries. I think this is just part of the job as there are no guarantees. In June I lost 2 siblings which were my main income I have just taken on a new little one but its only 22 hours a week. I have adverts everywhere. just keeping my fingers crossed.

adele1985
19-07-2011, 03:43 PM
how long have you been minding for hun, have you been in this situation before im really worried that ill have to get a job I love being my own boss and being a childminder so mucch, good luck finsing new mindees :-) xxx

Bananabrain
19-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I know it's been said before, but I've found childcare.co.uk really helpful.
Having said that I do put some time into messaging people who are local.
Maybe now is a good time to join as everyone is sorting childcare for the new term?
Good luck
[they didn't pay me for the free ad btw:laughing: ] I think they were in the right place at the right time when they messed up the direct.gov website.
Good for them I say.

Pixie dust
19-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I am on childcare.co.uk and have sent messages to local parents but most don't even read them to be honest.

I love my job and I am lucky as husband has a good job so I can afford not to be full but not everyone is so lucky.

loocyloo
19-07-2011, 04:33 PM
i was as full as i could possibly be ... then we moved and its been very quiet here :(

i have adverts everywhere; school, shops, car, windows, toddlers, drs, preschools .... i wear a childminder fleece and tell everyone what i do! i'm on as many internet sites as i could find! childcare.co.uk is good, but i find alot of people don't read their messages. i'm on netmums & mumsnet! plus a myriad of other sites!

i have just taken on a little girl for 5 hrs a week! this a friends daughter. i have a couple of afterschoolers lined up for september, but only a couple of hours! fingers crossed word spreads and more people need me!

i don't need or want to be full all the time, ( it just got mad before! but that was families who kept having new siblings !!!! :rolleyes: ) but i do need a bit more work!

KarenM
19-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I was looking to be full come September as I'm able to offer funded places, but have just been given notice for my last full timer so it's going to be a rough couple of months I think. Not had many enquiries recently, mainly been word of mouth but I do need to fill a couple of full time places sharpish as I'm the only earner :(

Carol M
19-07-2011, 06:04 PM
This is the first time in 10 yrs of minding that I am struggling to fill my spaces :( . I have a baby sibling booked in for February and would like to have temp mindees till then.
No chance :(
I am just going to try and enjoy working part time :rolleyes:
Carol xx

manjay
19-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I haven't had many enquiries recently and I thought I was going to have some much needed rest in September! Within a week I have taken on 2 more which means I don't even get my usual day off each week! Not exactly what I planned but they were enquiries I just could not turn down.

Things do have a habit of changing very fast. Hope something comes your way soon:thumbsup:

Andrea08
19-07-2011, 07:54 PM
full plus one extra so needed my assistant but all leaving... some to school etc

so come sept im only working till 1pm and got a full time place free loosing out on 5hrs a day wages times 2 places...

families with two parents working... 2nd parent is better off only working 16hr or loose all benefits etc so its a knock on with us cms ...

also with college so expencive a lot of parents are not returning because of the lack of funding etc...

all affecting us cms and its starting to show as we are not getting enquiries like we use to and waiting lists ...yet depends where you live i do have about 6 nurseries and schools all within walking distance inc a children's centre

x