PDA

View Full Version : Older mindee

Katiekoo
18-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi,
Mother of existing mindee (15 months) has aked me to have her older daughter aged 11 nearly 12 after school from September, just for an hour a couple of days a week. The Mum is a bit stuck for childcare and wants the daughter to be somewhere safe until she's able to collect.
I've never looked after older children before am a bit worried! Advice needed please. She's a nice girl and helps out with her little brother a lot.

Firstly - she'll be walking herself to mine, I figure I'll need permission for this, what should it say?
Also - What do you do with children of this age? I guess she'll be tired from school. I thought I could ask her what telly programmes she likes and record them if they're suitable for the little ones, find out what games she likes on DS. She could help the little ones at snack time, help me sticking photos in her brothers file. Homework?
Ground rules - do you work these out with the parents at all, I'm not sure where I'd start!
ANY help greatly appreciated!

QualityCare
18-07-2011, 07:55 PM
One of my mindees came to me for the first 1/2 term when he started secondary school and then started going home on his own, as l knew him it was easier knowing what he liked to do so can't offer much advice there except maybe find out if she has any hobbies or interests she can do at yours. The one thing l did say to parents was that l would not be responsible for getting him to do his homework, l would suggest that he makes a start but if he said no that was it. If he did do it l would not go over it but would give help if he asked.

Greengrass74
18-07-2011, 08:29 PM
We have a 16 year old girl that we mind, however slightly differant as she has cerebral palsy and is wheelchair bound. She does help with the younger mindees and loves her music.

funemnx
18-07-2011, 08:33 PM
An hour's not very long, by the time she's had a snack and played with the baby it'll be time to go home. I find my older girls love to help out with the babies :)

sarah707
18-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I give older ones a quiet place to chill or do their homework. They can play with the little ones if they wish or be on their own if they prefer.

I offer toast or something carb and a drink when they get in - they make it themselves as they like to be independent.

I have permission for them to walk to my house and information about being safe en route, carrying a charged mobile, letting me know about clubs or detentions etc.

I hope it works out for you :D

Katiekoo
23-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks all :) Most appreciated!
I'm less nervous now.
I've spoken to the girls Mum and she'll want to go on her laptop to access facebook rather than watch telly or play games. I thought I'd let her use my laptop then I will be able to control the websites she can access, I don't like the thought of her having free run on the internet even if she does do it at home. :p

anthea jane
24-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I look after an 11 yr old girl, luckily I have a daughter the same age, so they either sit and chat in her room,watch telly or go on the computer. She does have a facebook account but I don't allow her to go on it whilst here as it does say you should be 13 (I won't let my own daughter have an account til then) There has been alot of cases of girls getting bullied over facebook at our local school and I would hate for any child to read or post nasty things whilst in my care.

A favourite thing for them to do is bake, to save time you could have a biscuit mixture made up she could then roll it out and cut into shapes, most biscuits cook in about 10 mins,or you could have them already made and let the children decorate them.

Katiekoo
24-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I heard of bullying on facebook too, I'll have a chat with her before she starts I think and see what we can agree to. Like the baking idea - I love baking and so do the little ones!

love381
24-07-2011, 08:29 AM
We've done the baking idea a few times with older children. Sometimes they like to choose the recipes etc. We've also often done some where they do some one night and some the next - not always possible, but in an hour it's not easy to do everything! For example, we mix up the cake mix and bake the cakes on Monday and then decorate, share and eat and take some home on Tuesday! Our older ones like drawing/making patterns and those Hama beads at the minute!! x

manjay
24-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't be allowing facebook for an 12 year old in my setting. She is too young:rolleyes:

My own DD is 11 and she very much likes to get stuck into what the younger ones are doing. She spends lots of time on elaborate craft projects but also enjoys playing board games with the other children. An hour isn't very long at all and I would think after a snack there won't be much time for anything else.