PDA

View Full Version : MOBILE PHONE

It's a small world
18-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Am I right in saying you can only claim 10% of your mobile phone and not the full monthly bill .

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2011, 04:25 PM
No that is incorrect

You take the itemsed bill and work out what is business and what is personal and claim that

rickysmiths
18-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I claim what I use for childminding. I claim half of the landline/internet fee per month.

auntym
18-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I claim just the rental of the contract. As otherwise id just get payg. As soon as I stop minding I will do that to. I put 25% of landline and broadband to. I pay 5 pound per month for additional stb in minding room to. Am assuming thats ok. As we watch tv in the family room

It's a small world
18-07-2011, 06:59 PM
No that is incorrect

You take the itemsed bill and work out what is business and what is personal and claim that

I have a contract which allows 500mins free calls and about 600 text messages. so my bill always shows 0 in the cost column so how do I work this out ?

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a contract which allows 500mins free calls and about 600 text messages. so my bill always shows 0 in the cost column so how do I work this out ?

Get an itemised bill, see how many text and calls are used/made, add the together and divide into cost of monthly account giving a price per text/call and then multiply this by the number of business calls and this is what you claim.

I did this for 3 months last year and my percentage was 95% so now I claim 95% each month and I will check it randomly.

It's a small world
18-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Really dumb here sorry.

So if I made 1hr 40 mins call and 376 texts (parent prefer to text me) so 310 text made for business parents and Cm friend making arrangements for days out and playdates and advice etc . How do I work that out based on £35 a month contract sometimes this may go slightly over ie: £37 . Not very good at maths lol x

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Really dumb here sorry.

So if I made 1hr 40 mins call and 376 texts (parent prefer to text me) so 310 text made for business parents and Cm friend making arrangements for days out and playdates and advice etc . How do I work that out based on £35 a month contract sometimes this may go slightly over ie: £37 . Not very good at maths lol x

I go on the amount of calls rather than the time used as they are all small

So if you had 150 business calls of 170 calls and 310 business texts of 376 it would be

310 + 376 = £686. Divide £35 by 686 = .05 per call/text. 150 + 310 (business use) = 460 x .05 = claim of £23.00. which is about 66% of your bill

Mamma4Ya
19-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Too complicated for me, I am terrible with maths. :blush: I have two mobiles one is purely for business. Makes life much easier :)

It's a small world
19-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I go on the amount of calls rather than the time used as they are all small

So if you had 150 business calls of 170 calls and 310 business texts of 376 it would be

310 + 376 = £686. Divide £35 by 686 = .05 per call/text. 150 + 310 (business use) = 460 x .05 = claim of £23.00. which is about 66% of your bill

Thanks Debbie. You should be my personal accountant :blush: One more question .

I may have just one or two phone calls most of my business dealings are text messages, so thats easy enough. My question is do I work this for each month as sometimes I just go over with extra personal calls or text message So am I right in saying I just base this on the average £35 contract fee ? Last question I promise...:blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Debbie. You should be my personal accountant :blush: One more question .

I may have just one or two phone calls most of my business dealings are text messages, so thats easy enough. My question is do I work this for each month as sometimes I just go over with extra personal calls or text message So am I right in saying I just base this on the average £35 contract fee ? Last question I promise...:blush:

If you think that there is a big difference from month to month then you need to do it each month

It's a small world
19-07-2011, 07:08 PM
If you think that there is a big difference from month to month then you need to do it each month

Not really varies £35-£40 but majority on an average when added and divided its £38 a month so think I'll stick to £35 that shouldnt matter should it . Guess Im the one missing out. But just think Its too time consuming going through it all xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Not really varies £35-£40 but majority on an average when added and divided its £38 a month so think I'll stick to £35 that shouldnt matter should it . Guess Im the one missing out. But just think Its too time consuming going through it all xx

I am talking about the variance in the amount of business calls to personal calls and not the total cost

To answer this question - it is our responsibility to keep up to date and accurate records. if you do not then you can be penalised unless you can show your workings.

I am not trying to worry you but if they do come in and audit they will go through with a fine tooth comb and I would rather have another Ofsted inspection than a HMRC audit! :D

It's a small world
19-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks Debbie I'll go back and do each one individually.I have no calls to parents as they call me or text me and I text back. Never had to call for an ill child or anything yet (touch wood) so all mobile costs will be worked against text for each month. I would rather take the extra time to work out than have problems.

Thanks again I wont bother you again :blush: xx

Donkey
20-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I put the whole bill through because the package is for me not just about calls and texts...

I have a Blackberry and I certainly would not have a blackberry if it was not for this job...

I use bbm (blackberry messenger) for 1 parent and email for another.....

plus email for all the courses, uni work etc etc etc...

the whole lot goes through for me!

MrAnchovy
21-07-2011, 12:06 AM

HMRC will generally accept an average based on 2 months bills, as long as those 2 months are not widely different from the other 10.