PDA

View Full Version : Colour blindness

snufflepuff
18-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Mindees Mum has mentioned that she thinks LO (29 months) may be red/ green colour blind. Does anyone know anything about colour blindness? Is there anything I can do to try to identify it?
We talk about colours quite alot- what colour is this, can you find me the blue brick please etc etc. The only colour she consistently recognises correctly is pink. She's also quite good at blue. Otherwise it's hit and miss/ guesswork or she just say's 'ummm'. To me that's fairly normal for a child her age, isn't it? Or should she know more colours more consistently by now? My son is the same age and knows more colours but i'm keen to avoid comparing them like that....just because one child can do something doesn't mean another child is behind if you see what I mean?!

Helen79
18-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought only boys could be colourblind. My ds is 3 1/2 & only just stopped getting his colours mixed up. He was consistent with pink & purple but green, blue & red he's always got mixed up.
I wouldn't worry about it at this age but a trip to the hv might put mum's mind at rest.

miffy
18-07-2011, 01:35 PM
There's some information here about colour blindness

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=304&id=1860

Does mum say anyone else in the family is colour blind?

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
18-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh thanks for that link, very useful! I might send it to Mum to reassure her.

My other mindee, also 29 months, has a Dad who is totally colourblind. His Mum said at our first meeting that she thinks LO is probably the same- he says colour names but only randomly, if you ask what colour something is he will just guess without even looking at it!

Playmate
18-07-2011, 02:09 PM
It is extremely rare for girls to be colour blind, but not impossible (my ex MIL is) however it is only passed down through the mothers side, so if dad is colour blind then his sons won't have had it passed from him, but if he has a daughter she will highly likely pass it to her sons. Hope this makes sence.

Bananabrain
18-07-2011, 04:10 PM
My ex is red/green/brown colour blind. I was told that it is more common in boys.
I had my son tested and he is fine.
Ex needed lots of help with snooker and trivial pursuit.......................no wait, that's because he is an idiot, nothing to do with being colour blind:laughing:

Andrea08
18-07-2011, 04:35 PM
My ex is red/green/brown colour blind. I was told that it is more common in boys.
I had my son tested and he is fine.
Ex needed lots of help with snooker and trivial pursuit.......................no wait, that's because he is an idiot, nothing to do with being colour blind:laughing:

soooo funny xx

happydays1
19-07-2011, 11:33 AM
My brother was red/green colour blind, me and my sister used to find it so funny asking him what colour the grass was, he had something wrong with his eyes and had an operation which corrected the mix up, we were very dissapointed:blush: