PDA

View Full Version : how do you release child back to parent

suzy:-)
18-07-2011, 09:13 AM
hi
ive wrote on here before about bad behaviour when mum comes, but i loose that child this week due to starting school

however im about to take on another and never want to be in that position again where i cant get rid of them lol
do you even let your parents in ???
shall i have coats on ready and send them straight to mum ???
i have a daily diary that i fill in to give info over anyway

when i think back to my own children being in nursery we just get our child and go , but believe me it was horrendous getting little one out, some times an hour (honest)

just curious as to what you all do
x x

kel1983
18-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I had a day last week where all the children cried when it was time to go home. Im glad they seemed to be enjoying it with me but also feel sorry for the parents as its as if they didnt want to go home with them. This prticular day was a very sunny day and there was 6 children all playing out in the garden all really happy.

I gave the children warning that parents would start to arrive soon but they ignored me. So when it was time for the first to go he got very upset. I think the only one that didnt kick up a fuss ws the last one who was collected at 6.

Since this day I have been getting them in from the garden about 5 minutes before their parent is due to collect. They have their shoes and their belongings are ready on the bottom of the stairs so I can do a quick hand over.

This works some days but then parents are sometimes early and so the children are still unprepared.

I'm not sure if there is an easy way round all these problems. Atleast in a nursery most the children arrive and are collected at the same time so no one is going to be the first to have to leave and know that the others are still out playing.

I also have one parent that has to come in and chat for about 10 minutes. Bless her I dont think she has many friends to chat to o loves to tell me her life stories. Which I dont mind on certain days but some days she is so long chatting that her lo has wondered off to play again so the whole process of preparing her to go home again.

Im intrested to hear how others deal with these situations too. I would love to just pass the children over at the door.

Mamma4Ya
18-07-2011, 09:57 AM
I too would be interested in knowing how others deal with it, so I am prepared when I start.

~Grasshopper~
18-07-2011, 10:03 AM
hiya, well ive only been minding a few months but i make sure childrens bag is ready in the porch and the coat is with it, along with the diary then i let them in but only just through the door lol, give a quick brief like he's not had a nap and is tired ect ect then say the bag is behind the door or what ever and smile. then say bye bye to baby, they leave within a minute lol.

to be fair my own boys are normally screaming for tea at 5pm so i wouldnt want to hang around either if i were the parent. :)

suzy:-)
18-07-2011, 10:55 AM
hahah would'nt it be lovely to open the door , with the children all ready hand over a sheet or briefly say "yep been fine bla bla " c ya !!!

to be fair the parent would maybe like it afterall they have been at work all day and may well want to go home
i just dont want to feel like im shoving them out , and i usually have my own children still playing so i cant really have "tidy up time"
maybe i could say to the parent that it gats a bit manic at home time so i will have X all ready for u to just take away :clapping:
sound good ??
x

manjay
18-07-2011, 11:55 AM
hahah would'nt it be lovely to open the door , with the children all ready hand over a sheet or briefly say "yep been fine bla bla " c ya !!!

x

This is exactly what I do:D . In my experience even the most well behaved child turns into a monster when their parents turn up at the door. Children whose parents arrive at the same time every night are ready 5 mins before the doorbell goes and parents who arrive at different times are aware that I will not open the door until their lo has shoes and coat on.

Most parents just want to go home at the end of the day but tbh apart from a quick handover chat I haven't got time to stand chatting for ages when I have other children in the house. There is no way I can keep them safe if I am engaged with another parent on the door step. I always advise parents when they are new of what I do at home time. Parents can contact me anytime by text or email for any queries that have or they can make an appointment for a phone call.

Sounds harsh but it has always worked for me:thumbsup:

AliceK
18-07-2011, 12:08 PM
This is exactly what I do:D . In my experience even the most well behaved child turns into a monster when their parents turn up at the door. Children whose parents arrive at the same time every night are ready 5 mins before the doorbell goes and parents who arrive at different times are aware that I will not open the door until their lo has shoes and coat on.

Most parents just want to go home at the end of the day but tbh apart from a quick handover chat I haven't got time to stand chatting for ages when I have other children in the house. There is no way I can keep them safe if I am engaged with another parent on the door step. I always advise parents when they are new of what I do at home time. Parents can contact me anytime by text or email for any queries that have or they can make an appointment for a phone call.

Sounds harsh but it has always worked for me:thumbsup:

This is what I do as well. By the time going home time comes around we have all helped to tidy up, the playroom door is closed and out of bounds and the children are in the lounge either watching a bit of TV or looking at books or just messing around :) . I make sure LO's have their shoes on and when the doorbell goes I know which parent it is so I quickly put the childs coat on before I answer the door. Parent can come into the hallway and I hand them the diary, tell them briefly that all is OK (or whatever) and then they go. Max 3 / 4 mins. I'm tired at the end of the day and I remember when I used a childminder I just wanted to pick my son up and go home.

xxxx

xxxxx

Bushpig
18-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I had a day last week where all the children cried when it was time to go home. Im glad they seemed to be enjoying it with me but also feel sorry for the parents as its as if they didnt want to go home with them. This prticular day was a very sunny day and there was 6 children all playing out in the garden all really happy.

I gave the children warning that parents would start to arrive soon but they ignored me. So when it was time for the first to go he got very upset. I think the only one that didnt kick up a fuss ws the last one who was collected at 6.

Since this day I have been getting them in from the garden about 5 minutes before their parent is due to collect. They have their shoes and their belongings are ready on the bottom of the stairs so I can do a quick hand over.

This works some days but then parents are sometimes early and so the children are still unprepared.

I'm not sure if there is an easy way round all these problems. Atleast in a nursery most the children arrive and are collected at the same time so no one is going to be the first to have to leave and know that the others are still out playing.

I also have one parent that has to come in and chat for about 10 minutes. Bless her I dont think she has many friends to chat to o loves to tell me her life stories. Which I dont mind on certain days but some days she is so long chatting that her lo has wondered off to play again so the whole process of preparing her to go home again.

Im intrested to hear how others deal with these situations too. I would love to just pass the children over at the door.

Kel, are you me???? I ditto everything you said. :laughing: :laughing:

kel1983
18-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Kel, are you me???? I ditto everything you said. :laughing: :laughing:

I wish there was 2 of me :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
18-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Most of the time parents arrive, look at diaries, children get ready and they go - doesn't take long and runs quite smoothly.

But if I had a child like you described then I'd definitely get them ready to leave. I would ask parents to wait outside until child was ready and then hand them over.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
18-07-2011, 01:23 PM
lol keep reading the title as 'how do you release a child back into the WILD' lol

samb
18-07-2011, 01:37 PM
2 of mine who are my main mindees are great. Always have shoes on 5 mins before parent due but not coat. Bag etc ready at door. However, there is 1 who I looked after before I was registered (only 3 days a week for an hour and half each time - between nursery pick up and mum collecting), I stopped having her regularly at xmas but she comes occasional ad hoc hours now in hols, well Mum likes to chat. She is more of a friend than a mindees parent and I have explained it is better for me to do a quick hand over etc and why and how it works well the others etc but she doesn't get it! I am going to have her ready to go when mum collects again and bring her to the door with me and see if that helps. Trouble is she often gets bored waiting and seeing others play while she is waiting for mum to finish talking. Think I will continue to do a diary so Mum still feels like I have told her everything - she is almost 5.

There are just some parents who will want to chat and it is very difficult. Much easier to deal with the child who doesn't want to go in my opinion!

Andrea08
18-07-2011, 03:12 PM
hi, i had to do a new policy on this as child X became agressive at home time..

so for all parents arriving to drop off or collect will remain in front area of hall behind the stair gate and child will be braught to parent at collection time ready..

no parents allowed in Quiet room (aka lounge) or play room unless invited in

this helps the other childrne on role as they get upset that their own parents have not yet arrived and also i keep it short so i can return to supervise all children left on role!!!..

and its been in place for just over a yr now and it works.. so im a happy cm at home time and i use diarys to inform of food nappies bottles etc etc so no long chatts at home time as one Parent use to stay chattin for anything up to 3/4 hr :eek: ...

good luck x

munch149
18-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I think you need that time to chat to parents and I dont feel it would go down to well of I just opened the door and handed child over. In fairness tho my parents arent to bad and do get to the point on a Monday we might have a little how was your weekend chat but nothing major. They also sign in and to be honest they are better at remembering than me so if I didn't let them in it would prob go unused Most days. I do have all there things ready to go tho most of the time.

nokidshere
18-07-2011, 06:01 PM
All my parents come in and have a natter - with each other as well as with me. The children are genearally ready to go before the parent but, if they misbehave whilst they are getting ready then I do the telling off and disciplline since they are still in my home.

Generally children act up at hometime because they think the minder won't do anything because their parent is there, so taking that out of the equation helps for a more settled hometime.

And if they do play up on leaving, even if its outside the front door, I have a chat to them the next time they are here and explain that it is not good behaviour and that they will lose a treat if I see it happening again. :D

Katiekoo
18-07-2011, 07:49 PM
We chat at drop off, one parent comes in and settles child in the other is dropped at door unless he's a bit unsettled.
At home time the children are ready waiting, coats on shoes on bags and diary ready. We have a nice chat but parents don't come in unless I have something for them to sign. One parent requested this as she has two older children waiting in the car on the drive.