PDA

View Full Version : Is my baby clever?

love381
17-07-2011, 08:45 PM
My lo is 13 months old and I know he's a bit brighter with some aspects of learning and development. I'm not concerned about it really as I know he'll be what he is, learn when he wants and develop as time goes on.

Just curious to your opinions really, just had a very long conversation with two other 'ladies' and got some very 'strange' responses!

My lo who is 13 months can sing the alphabet song, the capital letters one! About half of the letters are clear as day, with the other half being recognisable to even my dh (and that says something in itself). Now I'm sure my other children were not singing this song at this age, so I thought it was something of a great achievement, only to be blown away by these ladies.

Opinions, please!? x

green4lynn
17-07-2011, 09:07 PM
They were probably just envious of your little boy, some people don't like other children to do things before theirs do! I'm a childminder and see kids do things at varying ages, some speak early, some are better at building, some develop early social skills! All children are different and these differences should be embraced and applauded, not dismissed! Be proud of your little ones achievement and keep up the good work!

:clapping:

Lynn x

kindredspirits
17-07-2011, 09:57 PM
yes he sounds clever to me - my DS was the same at 13 months could recognise numbers and letters very well - he just learns quickly and has a very photographic memory.
you'll always get someone that says 'oh my jonny was doing xyz from birth' - take it with a pinch of salt! lol
I vividly remember when my son was about 3 months old sitting in the dr's waiting room and my DS was standing on my knees (with support obviously but he was a baby who preferred to stand rather than sit) - and old lady came over and told me that she would never let a child stand before they were 12 months :rolleyes: I wish i'd been a little stronger spoken then than i am now or i would have come up with a great reply! :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
17-07-2011, 10:14 PM
So what did these ladies say then?

Sounds like you have a bright little lad there!

The Juggler
18-07-2011, 06:23 AM
being able to pronounce that clearly at 13 months IS advanced hon. I have 2 very bright 2 year olds at present who are doing things much earlier than most children I've minded (even from age of 18 months) and a 3 year old who was reading (self-motivated) and a maths genius (saying his 12 times tables at age 3!:eek: again his interest self motivated and I had trouble keeping up :laughing: :laughing:

They are all different but I should point out it doesn't mean that late talkers are NOT clever - they just develop later ;). Sounds like your baby will probably be a great talker by age 2 so be very proud :D

jelly15
18-07-2011, 07:05 AM
My nephew was the same age when he could sing the alphabet and count to ten going up the stairs. His first word was triangle. He is now 21 years old , had all A's at A-level and is now studying chemical engineering in uni, so yeah your LO does sound very bright. Don't worry about those ladies, they sounds a little spiteful to me.

Mamma4Ya
18-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Babies know what they want and understand words at 6 months, but their vocal cords are not fully developed until they are around 12 months old. So although they may know the alphabet and understand numbers, they may not be able to say them out loud as they need to practice getting the sounds right.

Babies learn by repetition, if babies are in an environment where the parents/siblings etc are constantly singing alphabet songs and counting etc the baby will pick them up quicker than a child who is not encouraged to do this.

Some babies will take longer for their vocal cords to develop than others, so I dont necessary see it as being one baby cleverer than another, but that combined with fully developed vocal cords and being in the right environment can seem that way.

It took my eldest child (she is now 27yrs old) who was premature, much longer for her vocal cords to be fully developed and had to have speach therapy. This made her way behind in her early years.

So although my friends baby who was born within days of my daughter, her daughter seemed much brighter than mine. Yet 27 years on my daughter has university degrees and an excellent career, where my friends daughter only just craped by with her exams in school.