PDA

View Full Version : Working with husband

Boris
17-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Can anyone who works with their hubby or OH give me some advice? My hubby hates his job and is seriously considering working with me. I would love to hear from you all to see how this affects your relationship, things that are good and bad about it etc.

My hubby is great with the kids and they love him. Things that worries me are that he tends to wind them up a bit, he uses terms like "cool man!" and "doggy, brum brum, dindins" etc. (makes him sound like a d*** but he's not I promise!) :laughing: , I might kill him being with him 24-7, also is it a bit risky with this being the only way to pay our bills/lack of security.

Such a dilemma!

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I started working with my DH last October.

Plus - we spend more time together, he helps in the kitchen, does drop offs and pick ups without me needing to get the little ones out of bed, he doesn't moan about the mess (or tidies it up).

Downside - we are with each other 24 hours a day (gets getting used to), I seem to do all the paperwork

Mostly it is great but it does have its teething problems. he is now registered and I am booking him on courses.

Lesley P
17-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I have been working with my dh for4 months now and it has been great yes we spend a lot of time together but i can also go to toddler groups on my own and leave him at home with the other children. The children love him to bits and i find it so much easier as a team.
as for both being self employed we planned for about 4 months a got some children in for when he started with me, i guess you cant rely on any job these days but so far so good.:laughing: :clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

flowerpots
18-07-2011, 05:58 AM
I have worked with my dh since i registered and it works really well, it can be hard being around each other 24/7 but if we ae low on numbers at some points throughout the week he goes out and il go to toddler groups alone. My dh does have a very flexible job with the nhs so if we are short of money or mindees he just increases his hours at work. :thumbsup:

Boris
18-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks ladies. No horror stories, I'm impressed. I must admit the more I think about it the more it seems like a good plan. We have 3 children of our own so its kind of what we do when we're not working anyway!! Definately food for thought. x

Greengrass74
18-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I can only speak from the mans point of view :)

I was in a really good job with the Police, however I had had enough and needed to get out. My wife, who has been a child minder for many years, asked me to join her. After I picked myself off the floor from laughing I started to think that maybe it was not a bad idea.

That was last year, I started as her assistant and enjoyed it so much that I have now become registered myself :thumbsup:

In my mind here are the Pro's and Con's

Pro's
- Working from home.
- Working with my wife (yes we do really get on)
- Sharing the paper work.
- A real sense of achievement.
- Working for yourself.
- Lots of outside activities and trips.

Con's
- Can be long hours
- You are not guaranteed a regular income.

All I can say to any husband or partner thinking of joing their other half is do it, give it a go. It is the best think that I ever done. :clapping:

My only other piece of advice is that you will argue or disagree about things but 1. never do it in front of the children and 2. never take it personal, remember that in all jobs people disagree.

Boris
19-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you Dave. I have showed my hubby your post. I think we're going to give it a go!! Scary!

Greengrass74
19-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Thank you Dave. I have showed my hubby your post. I think we're going to give it a go!! Scary!

Excellent,:clapping: it is scary but worth it.

One other thing is that because there is 2 of us we get a break, however as you can see mine tends to be spent on here. This forum is so addictive :thumbsup:

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 03:18 PM
my husband is registered with me as an assistant and he has done his paediatric first aid but no other childcare training. he does not actually work with me as such, he is emergency back-up and covers holidays when my full time childminding co-worker is on holiday. if he's home from work early (usually fridays) he does sometimes look after the little ones while i run round and pick the other kids up from school if it's tipping down. other than that, i don't use him because he expects me to pay him the same hourly rate he gets in his full time job! the cheek of it!
we have discussed him coming to work for the business full time so that my co-worker can work part time (which she wants) and at times he is tempted but i know that he wouldn't want to do things my way. this would cause friction because i am a control freak. i would then take a job out of the home, perhaps part time, and let him and my co-worker work together full time instead but i would still manage the business and take an income from it. (they get on better anyway) see, we have discussed it quite seriously and it might just happen one day:thumbsup:

Bob
28-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I can speak about it from the man's point of view. My wife has been childminding for years but was being ground down by the increasing amount of paperwork she needed to do. I became involved in doing that for her and gradually learned more about childminding in the process. I am currently a driving instructor so I have always spent a good deal of my time at home. I get on great with the minded children and really enjoyed playing with them when I wasn't working. I sorted out my registration as my wife's assistant and then went on a first aid course so I was legal to take some of the children on school runs for her which saved her having to disturb the little ones while they were playing or sleeping. The school runs turned into trips to the park or walking the dog or even taking a couple of the kids to the shops. I found that I enjoyed being with the children and even if I'd just had a difficult lesson in the car, 5 mins building blocks or chalking on our patio with a two year old was enough to have me laughing again. We spoke about 4 months ago about me registering as a child minder and all I have left to do now is the health declaration. The home visit was a doddle because I had been doing all the RA and other paperwork for about 5 years. Oh I also need to get my ICP course booked. I say "Go for it". You won't be together 24/7 because you or your other half can always take some of the children out for a trip somewhere.

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I can speak about it from the man's point of view. My wife has been childminding for years but was being ground down by the increasing amount of paperwork she needed to do. I became involved in doing that for her and gradually learned more about childminding in the process. I am currently a driving instructor so I have always spent a good deal of my time at home. I get on great with the minded children and really enjoyed playing with them when I wasn't working. I sorted out my registration as my wife's assistant and then went on a first aid course so I was legal to take some of the children on school runs for her which saved her having to disturb the little ones while they were playing or sleeping. The school runs turned into trips to the park or walking the dog or even taking a couple of the kids to the shops. I found that I enjoyed being with the children and even if I'd just had a difficult lesson in the car, 5 mins building blocks or chalking on our patio with a two year old was enough to have me laughing again. We spoke about 4 months ago about me registering as a child minder and all I have left to do now is the health declaration. The home visit was a doddle because I had been doing all the RA and other paperwork for about 5 years. Oh I also need to get my ICP course booked. I say "Go for it". You won't be together 24/7 because you or your other half can always take some of the children out for a trip somewhere.

this is how it would be with my husband and i Bob. for it to work, we'd have to not be together 24/7. Before i was with my husband, i worked in an office. my then partner was at full time uni. we needed some part time evening staff and my partner took up a part time job at my place. this was ok because he came after i went home. but, instead of taking an engineering job at the end of his degree, he came to work full time at my office. it was hell. it just didn't work coz i was in management, earned more, in the loop with everything, etc. needless to say, we split up. but, i had the company car and still picked him up for work, even when i was with my now husband. this is what puts me off doing it more permanently. once bitten and all that...

Mamma4Ya
29-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I would love to work with my hubby as we get on so well together, but my concern would be not having a regular income and having to apply for some sort of benefit. I will be naming him as my assistant though as he will be around in the evening same time as mindees here so he can give a help in hand when i am doing tea.

If you go for it I wish you all the luck and hope it works out for you.

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Can anyone who works with their hubby or OH give me some advice? My hubby hates his job and is seriously considering working with me. I would love to hear from you all to see how this affects your relationship, things that are good and bad about it etc.

My hubby is great with the kids and they love him. Things that worries me are that he tends to wind them up a bit, he uses terms like "cool man!" and "doggy, brum brum, dindins" etc. (makes him sound like a d*** but he's not I promise!) :laughing: , I might kill him being with him 24-7, also is it a bit risky with this being the only way to pay our bills/lack of security.

Such a dilemma!

my hubby and i both have second incomes so we both already have something else to fall back on if we had to i suppose. not sure i would like to be responsible for ensuring we both have a decent income from just one business. scary stuff

Boris
06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Well OFSTED have registered my hubby and doubled our numbers! As soon as we have filled spaces he's going to resign from his job. I am vvvvv scared but excited. He had 6 weeks off this summer and he's just gone back and I miss having him around and so do the children. Fingers crossed all works out :)

marleymoo
07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
i hope it works out for you guys. just last nite my hubby and i discussed this more seriously and it looks like he's coming on board next Easter. he's giving up his day job but he's still running his own business and i'm still keeping my second job too, just to make sure the money keeps rolling in even if CM gets slack

Greengrass74
07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Well OFSTED have registered my hubby and doubled our numbers! As soon as we have filled spaces he's going to resign from his job. I am vvvvv scared but excited. He had 6 weeks off this summer and he's just gone back and I miss having him around and so do the children. Fingers crossed all works out :)

Really pleased :thumbsup: , I hope everything works out for both of you and that he enjoys it as much as I do, like I said in an earlier post it is the best thing I ever did