PDA

View Full Version : Update from the HMRC - re: travel to school with own children too

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Good news I think:

One of the childminders asked whether the whole journey from home to the school of the child who is being looked after could be treated as business mileage if on the way you took your own child to school.

Basically, as long as the journey to your child's school is on the way to the school of the child that you are minding, the whole journey would be allowable. If the minded child's school is closer, and you then go on to take your own child to school, that extra part of the journey would not be allowable.

green4lynn
17-07-2011, 08:47 PM
What if your child and minded child go to the same school? Is that allowable?

Lynn x

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Lynn x

no because you are going there anyway - but who would know?

It's a small world
20-07-2011, 11:02 AM
no because you are going there anyway - but who would know?

I claim . Ds goes same school as mindee plus I have an 3yo mindee 3 x days and I collect a lo from school and drop off to mum at school . If it was just my ds's I'd walk but with 5 children in the morning to school and three u5s home from school a busy road and a 40+Min walk each way the car is a safer option . Thats my reasoning for claiming anyway x

HomefromHome
20-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Lynn x

yes! because you are still working. only if you had no mindee(s) that day then you cant.

singlewiththree
20-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I claim because I only use the car to take my children to school because I'm then going on somewhere else with mindees or because I feel it would be too much for the little ones to walk it.