PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

handeme
17-07-2011, 08:19 AM
This a probably a really silly question but I have to ask it :blush:

I am just going through my first aid kit ready for my imminent first graded inspection and I wondered what a conforming bandage is??

I have every type of bandage possible in front of my but nothing says, 'conforming bandage'.

C x

sarah707
17-07-2011, 08:31 AM
A conforming bandage is very stretchy.

This is the list I wrote for another thread recently... hth :D

First aid box contents for childminders

This is the list I have written following my first aid training (June 2011).

The contents are recommended by Cheshire East trainers and are correct now.

• 1 x guidance leaflet
• 1 x Resusciade – face shield for CPR
• 20 x assorted wash proof plasters / self adhesive dressings - hypo-allergenic
• 2 x eye pad dressings with loop – must be sterile
• 4 x triangular bandages – individually wrapped and sterile
• 5 x small wound dressings
• 5 x medium wound dressings
• 2 x large wound dressings
• 5 x Melolin small low adherent dressings (5 x 5 cm)
• 5 x Melolin large low adherent dressings (10 x 10 cm)
• 1 x Micropore Tape - hypo-allergenic
• 2 or more pairs of single use disposable gloves – not latex
• 1 x scissors with rounded ends
• 5 or more gauze swabs (never use cotton wool or paper towels)
• 1 x finger bandage and applicator
• 6 x non-alcoholic wipes – must be non alcoholic as alcoholic ones sting and it may be against family religious beliefs to use alcohol
• 6 x assorted safety pins

Notes
For washing eyes or burns you should use sterile water. You must not use eye baths as they promote cross infection.

Tweezers are ok by Ofsted as long as they are not used to make the situation worse. However first aid trainers say no to their use. They suggest we include an old credit card in the kit for sliding out stings or splinters.

The only thermometer recommended by first aid trainers is an ear thermometer with a throw away end (discarded after single use). If other types of thermometer are used they should be either discarded after each use or a sterilising / cleaning log must be kept. It should be noted that other types of thermometer are not always accurate.

The First Aid kit must be packaged in a green box featuring a white cross – this is a requirement of the Health and Safety Executive. It must be easily located by adults and must not contain lotions, potions or creams.

Disclaimer - recommendations for contents change and I cannot be held responsible for the comments of other trainers.

flowerpots
17-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Think i need to get ordering :blush: Where does everyone buy their supplies from, is there anywhere cheap :p

handeme
17-07-2011, 08:43 AM
My goodness, your list is totally different to the one I was given at first aid training,

20 x plasters
Eye Wash x 1
Sterile Eye pad x 1
Triangular Bandage x 4
Large unmedicated sterile dressings x 1
Pins x 6
Medium unmedicated sterile dressings x 2
Gloves x 5
No-adherent sterile dressings 5x7.5cm x 2
Tape x 1
Crepe Bandage x 2
Resuscitation Sheild x 1
Conforming bandage x 2
non-adherent sterile dressings 10 x 5cm x 2
Guidance Card

c x

PixiePetal
17-07-2011, 08:58 AM
i bought the refill pack from NCMA and put it in my own box, think it had about what Sarah said. Def 2 eye pads cos if you only cover the bad eye the other will still be looking about and when you move that eye, the other eye will automatically move :) makes sense

we were told at FA training that the wipes were for cleaning ourselves and not patient - only water should be used there

flowerpots
17-07-2011, 10:19 AM
i bought the refill pack from NCMA and put it in my own box, think it had about what Sarah said. Def 2 eye pads cos if you only cover the bad eye the other will still be looking about and when you move that eye, the other eye will automatically move :) makes sense

we were told at FA training that the wipes were for cleaning ourselves and not patient - only water should be used there

How much was the refill pack hun, are you a member? :D

Pauline
17-07-2011, 10:22 AM
This is the list I wrote for another thread recently... hth :D

I haven't forgotten that you sent this for the downloads, I WILL get to the end of this to-do list one day :D

Jiorjiina
17-07-2011, 11:21 AM

We got told that a triangular bandage folded into a strip is just as good, and means less replacement dates to keep track of!

So basically, a conforming bandage is a crepe bandage? The one that you get in a roll?

blue bear
17-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I got my refill on e bay

flowerpots
17-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I got my refill on e bay

thanks for that, just found a refil for £8.50. :D

onceinabluemoon
17-07-2011, 04:06 PM
We got told that a triangular bandage folded into a strip is just as good, and means less replacement dates to keep track of!

So basically, a conforming bandage is a crepe bandage? The one that you get in a roll?

Yes it is. Simply a stretchy bandage normally called crepe bandages by most people.

boxtree7
17-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I purchased mine from NCMA because it had everything that is required - I found this easier then going tru my previous kit.