PDA

View Full Version : I need help to help mindee - please!

francinejayne
16-07-2011, 09:11 PM
A is 4, she will be 5 in September. She is exceptionally bright and very able. She is a lovely little girl who has always played nicely with all children, and has hardly ever been 'naughty' when she is with me. A is very close to my DS who is age 3, they are wonderful friends.

A's Grandma passed away a couple of months ago.
A's mum used to work part time, 3 days a week, but in order to keep her job she had to go full time about 6 weeks ago, so A is now with me Monday to Friday (used to be Tuesday to Thursday)
A left her pre-school on Thursday where she has been for the last 2 years, and she had lots of friends there.
A's family is relocating down South in August - however Dad is staying here for a few months as his job is here, so initially it will be just A and Mum moving house.

Over the last month A's behaviour has changed - she does not play nicely, she is mean to my DS - excluding him from games and not talking nicely to him, she is quite often quiet and withdrawn - not wanting to join in activities that in the past she would have loved to do e.g. baking, at home she has started deliberately weeing in the corner of rooms on the carpet.

I think that this change is A's way of telling us that she is feeling unsettled with all the changes she has to face.

The problem is - how to deal with it?

I have a book that we read dealing with emotions, so we have been reading this a lot, and next week I plan to talk more about feelings, explaining that it is OK to feel sad or worried, and telling A that if she feels like that she should tell me or Mummy or Daddy so we can give her a cuddle and help her to feel better. I thought about making paper plate faces of different emotions, which might again lead to a discussion on the subject.

Has anyone else experienced this and has some ideas of how I and Mum can handle it?

Thank you!

christine e
17-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Oh dear poor mite so many things going on in her life. How about getting some books from library on death, starting school and moving home. I know we do our best to prepare children for moves but in this case it's difficult because she is moving so far. Would it be possible to get in touch with her new school and see of they have photos you could use to make up a book or they may infact have a prospectus with lots of photos. Does mum have photos of there new house?

Cx

sarah707
17-07-2011, 08:22 AM
We make a lot of personalised story books for children who are having major changes in their lives.

We make them about the child and the other children in the group, featuring their photos and focussing on how to behave when they feel upset or angry.

For example we have one about personal space - it talks about how we all need personal space, then how it feels when we invade personal space / have our own personal space invaded, then how we can give personal space to others and how that makes us feel... then how we can say 'sorry' if we forget and that makes everyone happy.

We all (me, my co childminder, my teens) will then read the book to the child when he forgets about giving others personal space until he has passed that phase.

Hth :D

francinejayne
17-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh dear poor mite so many things going on in her life. How about getting some books from library on death, starting school and moving home. I know we do our best to prepare children for moves but in this case it's difficult because she is moving so far. Would it be possible to get in touch with her new school and see of they have photos you could use to make up a book or they may infact have a prospectus with lots of photos. Does mum have photos of there new house?

Cx

Thank you for your reply. You have triggered my memory, I have a book on the bookshelf upstairs about leaving nursery and going to school that I bought for my son when he was this age - I will read this next week.

With regards to A's new home - she has stayed there before - parents have a few properties that they rent out - this one they used to rent but have now decided to live there themselves, so A has been quite a few times, she has stayed there, she tells me about the HUGE toy cupboard etc.

And she has also been to her new school when they had an open day, she has met her teacher and they have given her a list of children's names who will be in her class - she knows one of the girls who is the daughter of Mum's friend, she is A's friend.

It sounds like Mum and school have tried to do things to make the transition as easy as possible, but A is just not coping with it.

Mum is struggling to deal with her weeing - she does it as soon as Mum leaves the room, it is most definitely a deliberate act! How should she deal with this?

francinejayne
17-07-2011, 09:28 AM
We make a lot of personalised story books for children who are having major changes in their lives.

We make them about the child and the other children in the group, featuring their photos and focussing on how to behave when they feel upset or angry.

For example we have one about personal space - it talks about how we all need personal space, then how it feels when we invade personal space / have our own personal space invaded, then how we can give personal space to others and how that makes us feel... then how we can say 'sorry' if we forget and that makes everyone happy.

We all (me, my co childminder, my teens) will then read the book to the child when he forgets about giving others personal space until he has passed that phase.

Hth :D

Thank you, that is a lovely idea! I need to get some coloured ink for my printer, think I might do that today then we can do this over the next week which is supposed to be rainy anyway!

Jiorjiina
17-07-2011, 11:30 AM
What about a 'Feelings Board', where each mindee (and you and your DS) has their name/photo, and then a load of 'feelings' they can go and put next to their name to show how they are feeling (like faces showing different emotions, pictures, colours, etc). You could even make them together as an activity.

However bright she is, she might be struggling to verbalise how she is feeling so it might help to let her show you that way. Then you can discuss why and go from there

francinejayne
17-07-2011, 11:57 AM
What about a 'Feelings Board', where each mindee (and you and your DS) has their name/photo, and then a load of 'feelings' they can go and put next to their name to show how they are feeling (like faces showing different emotions, pictures, colours, etc). You could even make them together as an activity.

However bright she is, she might be struggling to verbalise how she is feeling so it might help to let her show you that way. Then you can discuss why and go from there

Thank you, I LOVE that idea, and A will love helping to make it too, anything crafty and she is there!

I shall add this to my planning for this week! :clapping: