PDA

View Full Version : ending a term time only contract and retainer fees

jackandjill
16-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi, I have just recieved a letter from one of me mindee parents giving notice to end the contract as she can't afford to pay me, she has been late paying for weeks and have had many problems with her.
Firstly all my contracts are NCMA as I am a member and it clearly states that 4 weeks notice has to be given to end the contract but this parent only wants to give 1 week notice as they only have a term time contract and do not attend in the holidays. The school holiday start here 25/07/2011.
Their are 2 mindees one who is 7 and we have her before school and collect after school, the parents pay NO retainer during the holidays for her, her brother attend full time monday to friday and pays half fee during the holidays for him as a retainer.
My question is do retainer fees count as part of the notice period?
for the 7 yr old how does the notice period work for her as she only attends term time and the holidays start in a week.
I want to write back to the parent requestng payment for the 4 weeks notice but want to be clear what I am asking for.

Thanks for all your help. xx

Carol M
16-07-2011, 09:15 PM
On the back of the NCMA contracts under notice to end the contract it clearly states that notice periods can not include a period of holiday or where no fee has been paid so I would say the notice period must contain 4 paid weeks so I would ask for 4 weeks for the schoolie ie next week and 3 weeks for the start of next term( that is if you want to be available to care for schoolie in sept) and take the 1 week term time money, full fee as you have the child next week and 3 weeks retainer monies for the other one as this is the fee you agreed for those weeks. I am assuming you have a seperate contract for each child.
I don't charge retainers during the hols and I checked with NCMA about the wording on the back re notice payments and the chap I spoke to confirmed that as no fee was charged then those weeks could not be included in the notice period but you are being paid a fee for the lo.
Hope I haven't confused you more :blush: Ring NCMA for advice to be sure.
Carol xx

miffy
17-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I would ring NCMA and ask their advice - if parent disputes the charges then it will be NCMA's help you need if you want to pursue it so best ask them

Miffy xx

The Juggler
17-07-2011, 08:45 AM
i think it gets complicated with t-time only contracts. def. contact NCMA to find out.

Nikki

love381
17-07-2011, 03:10 PM
From what I've read and understood I would say you are entitled to request

4 weeks full pay for the 7 year old, 4 weeks is your notice period and these 4 weeks must not include any holidays - therefore, you should be paid this 1 week (this coming week) and then 3 more weeks of school (term) time in September

4 weeks of notice time for the younger child is different as you have an agreed payment of half in the holidays, so I would class this as this coming week of full payment and then 3 more weeks of half fee

I would definately send a letter confirming all of these details to the mum, shame she's having financial difficulties and has been paying late, but I'm sure she'll understand. Perhaps she'll be able to pay you over time, fingers crossed.

x

jackandjill
17-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions it has really helped. One other thing is the week after the school summer holiday I am away for 2 weeks and my parents pay No fee for my holidays am I right in thinking that these week can not be included in the notice period either therefore for the 7 year old the last day will be the 18th October with all the holidays.
I am on holiday from the 12th September 2011 to 23rd September 2011 and the school holidays are from the 25th July to 6th September 2011.

Many Thanks

The Juggler
17-07-2011, 04:08 PM
hon, I am sure there is a clause for term-time only contracts (with NCMA) about the holiday period. Normally holiday periods can't be counted but I am sure where this is school holiday period for termtime only contracts this isn't counted. However, I'm not sure if this means parnets pay 4 weeks notice upfront or you have notice without payment. I can't check for you as I don't use NCMA contracts any longer.

I am sure what it means is that you get 4 weeks notice but no payment for the period out of term-time. For example:

1. they give notice a week before a half term. You get paid for the 1 week, no pay for the half term week then 2 more weeks paid.

2. If it were a week before Easter you'd get a weeks pay, no pay for the 2 week Easter break then another week paid.

3. For notice before the summer you get paid for the week before schools end then their contract officially ends 3 weeks into the hols but you get no pay for that 3 weeks.

If they were continuing with you, you wouldn't get paid for August anyway. So if they give notice now, you get paid for the rest of term time. The contract ends 4 weeks from day of notice but you get no payment for any of that period which falls in school hols. You still have the contractual notice period in which to fill the place - you are no worse off as you would not normally have been paid for August anyway - does that make sense. Maybe I'm wrong but am sure this is what NCMA say.

To be honest I'd rather do this as if you make them stick to October end date you might lose out on parents who are looking for a September start.

be interested in what the answer from NCMA is though.

Carol M
17-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions it has really helped. One other thing is the week after the school summer holiday I am away for 2 weeks and my parents pay No fee for my holidays am I right in thinking that these week can not be included in the notice period either therefore for the 7 year old the last day will be the 18th October with all the holidays.
I am on holiday from the 12th September 2011 to 23rd September 2011 and the school holidays are from the 25th July to 6th September 2011.

Many Thanks
No fee for your pre arranged holiday so not to be included in the notice period. Don't forget you have to be available to care for the child till notice period has been successfully completed.
Carol xx

gigglinggoblin
17-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Tbh in your shoes I wouldnt want this to drag on til October, thats months away! Could you call mum and explain the terms of the contract and come to some arrangements, maybe lose a bit of the notice money so you can concentrate on getting a new mindee for September?

boxtree7
17-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't think the mum will pay ... if you can i think i would just be asking for the summer retainer and forgetting the 7 years old notice period. as a parent if i could not afford it where would i get money for notice from when i am not going to use your service. I understand that is the wrong attitude to have but sometimes when theres no money to pay out what would you do. Its another diffcult one.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I would ring NCMA and ask their advice - if parent disputes the charges then it will be NCMA's help you need if you want to pursue it so best ask them

Miffy xx

me too - get the professional advice and you cannot go wrong