PDA

View Full Version : Fees

nikkiross1
16-07-2011, 12:48 PM
hi there,

i know all different areas will have different fees
but i'm just so confused about how much to charge - it seems that the going rate for where i am (leamington spa) is £35 - £40 a day.

I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies, so was hoping that could be my USP and perhaps charge on the higher end of the scale due to this. But i don't want to start out too high so that no one's interested.

I was going to include food in this price

but wasn't sure about trips and stuff, i'm not sure what the common thing to do is - whether you let the paretns no your going on a trip so charge more at the end of the month or whether or not trips are meant to be included in the price they pay, becuase surely trips to the soft play and then to the farm will all cost different amounts!?

thanks!!

Andrea08
16-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi, yes every area is different..

if using a full day i charge a full day rate of £35 and this includes meals , snacks , fruit, drinks and all outings... although i do not do evening meals anymore because i dont have under 5yr olds atm from 3-6pm...

parents will look around and if you are over charging for your area and then asking for extra money for this n that parents may not choose you,

this is the same if cms charge retainers and too much of a deposit,

ask around your cm group and good luck x

jane5
16-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I charge £35 a day and most childminders in my area charge the same or are putting their rates up to that. There are a couple who charge £37 but not many.

I didnt want to charge less and then put my rates up and I haven't had any body complain. I provide all meals and snacks.

As for outings it depends how often a child is with me. If the parent is paying me for 2 full days £70, or more I dont mind paying £5 or so a week for soft play but if I only get paid for 1 morning, £25, I ask the parent for the entrance fee.

flowerpots
16-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Im in the Midlands and charge £35.00 per day, i include everyhting in the price except nappies. :)

miffy
16-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I charge for more expensive outings but limit those to no more than once a week in holidays so parents don't have too many extra costs.

Miffy xx

Carrie1983
16-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't charge too much higher based on your qualification, as you don't want to end up pricing yourself out of the market.

I have a degree in childhood and youth studies then a postgraduate degree in education (qualifying me as a teacher) and a masters in education. I have 11 years of experience working with children in a variety of settings (including in schools, childcare, refuges, children's homes), which is my whole working life. I've done tonnes of short courses relating to my work with small children and babies. In my experience that makes me stand out as a childminder, so makes parents likely to take a look at me and think 'yes she's in this for the passion as much as anything else' and 'she knows her stuff', but it doesn't really mean I can charge higher because the majority of people in the area, regardless of how experienced they are, would be charging a lot less, and many parents are guided by that.

I actually already have a full time and a part time mindee waiting for my registration to complete and she said she chose me based on my experience and dedication to working with children, rather than my qualifications alone. So I guess you could have a childminder who has 10 years under her belt, or you could have someone with impressive qualifications and only a year or so under her belt, and they'd both be worth equal IMO.

I am not saying don't do it, I'm just saying be careful. It is a good thing to have down as, like I said, I've had people contact me based on my qualifications and experience, but I'd be wary of pricing yourself out of the market.

Carrie1983
16-07-2011, 07:00 PM
PS, I charge £3.50 per hour but have a half-daily rate of £17 and a daily rate of £33 with a discount of 5% for the older sibling/lowest fee sibling and a discount of £1 a day for more than 3 days' childcare. I charge £5.25 an hour (time plus half) on bank hols and at weekends and between 6am and 7am/after 8pm until 12 when my overnight rate kicks in, and I charge £40 for overnight.

In my fee I include wipes (I use reusable wipes), all food, snacks, drinks and milk (don't forget you get free milk up to a third of a pint a day per mindee!), travel in my car, low cost outings such as toddler group, soft play every now and then, park, farm. I also provide reusable nappies while chn are here if their parents wish (my daughter is in cloth). Parents are expected to provide nappies if disposable and to pay for more expensive trips such as the zoo in school holidays.

I will also be doing music with mummy and their children will of course attend this for free!

nikkiross1
18-07-2011, 11:08 AM
thanks for all your replies! that clears up a lot :)
i will use all this advise for sure!! x

Natternic
18-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Im in the same boat, really struggling to decide on fees,do cm include food in their fees? Most cm round here charge £30 a day but I'm not sure if they charge extra for food.
I'm in south Essex, still registering but trying to advertise

Mamma4Ya
18-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I charge £35 a day and most childminders in my area charge the same or are putting their rates up to that. There are a couple who charge £37 but not many.

I didnt want to charge less and then put my rates up and I haven't had any body complain. I provide all meals and snacks.

As for outings it depends how often a child is with me. If the parent is paying me for 2 full days £70, or more I dont mind paying £5 or so a week for soft play but if I only get paid for 1 morning, £25, I ask the parent for the entrance fee.

I think that is a good way of doing it :)

nikkiross1
19-07-2011, 02:13 PM
can i just ask as well - if a child is off due to illness do the paretns still pay you?

Konoko
21-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I would say yes, they have to pay, because you can't fill that place for a day or so, but really depends what's in your contract?

JumpingJacks
29-07-2011, 08:53 PM
can i just ask as well - if a child is off due to illness do the paretns still pay you?

Hi I'm in leamington too and fees are anything between £4-£4.50 ph I charge £36 per day all inclusive. Which I believe is cheap, but do plan to put fees up after Xmas... And to answer your question, my parents pay full charges if their child is sick unless they are hospitalised with a serious illness. Hope that helps :)

smiler
29-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Im in west sussex and charge £4.50 per hour, and no discount for full day bookings/siblings etc. this includes lunch and snacks, breakfast and tea, if the child is in my care at given times. Im putting prices to £5 per hour from january. Most childminders here charge £4.50 and a few £5. Im always full, as there is a demand in our area for childcare. Before school (8-9am) is £6, and after school (3.20 - 5.30) is £12. Saturdays are £7 per hour, increasing to £7.50 in january 12. i charge regardless of attendance, 48 weeks per year, I dont charge for my holidays. Hope that helps!