PDA

View Full Version : SSSC Consultation

phoebe-alice
14-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi there I just got an email from my Childcare & Early Years Services regarding the SSSC Consultation but I haven't a clue whether it includes childminders? It looks as if there will be changes to qualifications when first registering. Does anyone know any more or if childminders are included? Here's some of the email anyway and there was also an attachment with the list of required qualifications. Hope you are all having a lovely day I have a day to myself so have my feet up, but for how long. :laughing:

'The changes are coming into play as the SSSC feel that we need a skilled and flexible workforce as it is likely that care will be delivered in a very different way in the future.

The hope is that the new proposals will result in a profession which people will want to join and one which has a career path which is easy to understand - thus easier to navigate.

The proposal for the list of qualifications which will be acceptable for childcare workers is attached.

Playwork has been omitted in error.
PDA Level 9 in Childhood Practice will be added subject to approval from SQA.

However workers who are currently registered and hold, or are working with qualifications on the 'current' list will still be able to use these qualifications(Must have registered before December 2011). If they register and come off the register but go back on in the future, their qualifications will still stand as they were previously registered.'

Chatterbox Childcare
14-07-2011, 12:10 PM
What or who are the SSSC?

if it is your local council they cannot tell you what qualifications you can or cannot have to be a childminder - only Ofsted can do and enforce this.

Sounds to me like they are raising standards.

Why not give them a call and get clarification on what it is

phoebe-alice
14-07-2011, 04:48 PM
What or who are the SSSC?

if it is your local council they cannot tell you what qualifications you can or cannot have to be a childminder - only Ofsted can do and enforce this.

Sounds to me like they are raising standards.

Why not give them a call and get clarification on what it is

I believe it is the Scottish Social Services Council but I don't really know if they really effect us childminders. If so as I am already registered so it won't effect me as it doesn't come in until December onwards. I might give them a little email anyway and see if it does effect them.