PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry for Sept 2012

Katiekoo
14-07-2011, 08:45 AM
My dd is starting preschool this september and will probably then start school next september (2012), she'll be just four. I've had an enquiry for a baby to start then. Will my dd count as a 'rising 5'? And can I promise this place to a baby now - things could change a lot in over a year!
Plus the added complication that I run a waiting list and have several families on it, I would need to give them first refusal for the space, although for most it would be too late for their needs.
What to do!!! Why is nothing ever straight forward! :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
14-07-2011, 08:52 AM
How old is this 'baby'? Normally I wouldn't promise a place so far in advance its over a year away and I for one would have no idea how my business would be.

This time last year I had 3 full timers aged 4.5 to 18mths each of whom i had had from 6mths, there was no reason then to not suppose that they would stay with me until they went to high school. Well how wrong can you be. Ones Dad was made redundant at Christmas so left. The other 2 who were sibblings suddenly moved 300 miles away in March with 4 weeks notice because mum changed her job and everything went through faster than any of us could have predicted.

Here I am 4 months on with 3 new children. Personally I would take the mums details and keep in touch and I wouldn't be considering signing a Contract with them for another year for a Sept 2012 start.

grindal
14-07-2011, 09:57 AM
I was in a similar position 2 years ago (July 2009) - a pregnant mum came to visit me asking about a space in September 2010. I knew DS1 would be starting school so would have a space regardless of what happened with my other mindee.
I told mum I would give her first refusal on the space that came up when my son started school, and gave her a letter to this effect.
She signed a contract in July 2010 and her daughter started with me in October.

However, I did not have a waiting list, and the whole thing was slightly complicated when the request for a 5 day week turned into a 3 day week.

I would ask the mum to keep in touch and let her know how things stand nearer the time. Your daugter will be classed as a rising 5 as soon as she starts school full time - if your school does a gradual or phased start she will still be counted as one of yours until she is in school 9-3, 5 days a week.

Katiekoo
14-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply guys, grindal that is very helpful advice. I think I will say to the Mum that I don't know how things will stand then but that I will keep in touch with her.

The Juggler
14-07-2011, 01:44 PM
i think that is a good idea Katie. Your dd would be a rising 5 but maybe not until october if they do lots of half days for the induction period. I signed a baby in Jan who is starting in September so I don't see any reason you can't keep in touch for a while then meet the baby when born and take it from there. Assume mum hasn't had the baby yet?

Andrea08
14-07-2011, 02:49 PM
well i wouldnt take on so early like you say a lot can happen in a yr hun, and its mentioned a lot atm about LO's only being in our over 5's in the oct? x

miffy
14-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply guys, grindal that is very helpful advice. I think I will say to the Mum that I don't know how things will stand then but that I will keep in touch with her.

I think that's the best idea - that way you can see how things stand nearer the time and as you haven't got a space atm you won't be losing any money on it whatever happens.

As soon as you're sure she definitely wants the space and you know about your dd's starting date you can sort out the contract and a deposit.

Miffy xx

Newbie1!
14-07-2011, 08:00 PM
How odd - Ive had an enquiry today too for Sept 11 (baby not due for three months yet!) and I was going to post tonight to see what others do as usually I get a phone call on the Friday and they want care for following Monday....not used to this much notice!!! :laughing:

Katiekoo
16-07-2011, 09:20 AM
How odd - Ive had an enquiry today too for Sept 11 (baby not due for three months yet!) and I was going to post tonight to see what others do as usually I get a phone call on the Friday and they want care for following Monday....not used to this much notice!!! :laughing:

I know!!! :laughing:

Newbie1!
16-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I know!!! :laughing:

Of course I meant to say Sept 2012....been a long week!!

Had an email response from my enquiry today and she sounds very keen, very happy with prices, seen my website etc and wants to come along to look around......now I really need to decide re retainers etc!! :panic:

flowerpots
16-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Of course I meant to say Sept 2012....been a long week!!

Had an email response from my enquiry today and she sounds very keen, very happy with prices, seen my website etc and wants to come along to look around......now I really need to decide re retainers etc!! :panic:

i dont think you are allowed to sign contracts for an un-born baby hun, so i would maybe let them come round for a visit and then ask them to pop round with baby once lo is here. :)