PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic Group Discussion

Mamma4Ya
14-07-2011, 07:23 AM
How do you go about introducing different ethnic groups when trying to inform children why we have different colour skin.

I have different minature ethnic dolls (from dolls houses) that I can use while in Baby signing class when playing the game who is in the box, this is just so that babies learn the signs for Mammy, daddy, brother, sister, grandma etc.

But I would not know how to go about including this into a learning session for any children that I would look after. Any tips please would be appreciated.

green puppy
14-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a mix of resources showing images of diversity. The "All about......" books are great, they have ones showing different skin, hair, eye and hair colours, different body shapes and sizes, freckles, glasses, braces........, there is one about different religions, homes and houses, family set up..... I have the happyland people sets showing wheelchairs, hearing aids, people in different culteral dress, non gender specific careers............ I don't choose a set subject to point out differences, we often look in mirrors and talk about how some of us have the same hair colour, or different eye colour.... how we can all look different but how we are all special and unique too. I have a really lovely book called "Susan laughs", it shows pictures of a girl doing different activities but the pictures only show from waist up, the last page shows Susan in a wheelchair but throughout the book has shown that this is not a barrier to what she can do.

jayjay1963
14-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a mix of resources showing images of diversity. The "All about......" books are great, they have ones showing different skin, hair, eye and hair colours, different body shapes and sizes, freckles, glasses, braces........, there is one about different religions, homes and houses, family set up..... I have the happyland people sets showing wheelchairs, hearing aids, people in different culteral dress, non gender specific careers............ I don't choose a set subject to point out differences, we often look in mirrors and talk about how some of us have the same hair colour, or different eye colour.... how we can all look different but how we are all special and unique too. I have a really lovely book called "Susan laughs", it shows pictures of a girl doing different activities but the pictures only show from waist up, the last page shows Susan in a wheelchair but throughout the book has shown that this is not a barrier to what she can do.

That book sounds perfect for one of my LOs. Could you please post the author's name as I would love to get a copy.

PixiePetal
14-07-2011, 06:05 PM
That book sounds perfect for one of my LOs. Could you please post the author's name as I would love to get a copy.

I have susan laughs too it is by Jeanne Willis ans Tony Ross :thumbsup:

i got a few good books from Amazon for slightly older children (use forum shop link :) ) including 'The skin I'm in' and 'Don't call me special' - Amazon will show suggestions for similar type of books. They are just on my shelf with all the other books :thumbsup:

Mamma4Ya
14-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Thank you all I will have a look into these books they sound just what I am looking for :)

mushpea
14-07-2011, 07:37 PM
why do you need to introduce them any differently than you would a white doll from the dolls house,, why does it need to be any different? surly by treating and introducing the dolls differently you are pointing out that they are different. if I have a child ask why anothers skin is different I say its because its part of who they are then I ask them why their hair is a different colour to that child to get them to realise we are all individuals but I would never intentionly point out the difference or introduce different colour etc as this just shows the children the differences. this whole rasism thing really annoys me,, if somone calls a child with black skin a p***y then its racist if somone calls a person wearing glasses four eyes then nothing is thought of it but in the long run they are both bullying and should be treated as such ,, if the word racisim didnt exsist and wasnt brought up every 5mins then maybe people could get on better in this world.
phew sorry rant over, these are my personal oppinons and not meant to offend
anyway the answer to the question is that i would introduce them the same as any other doll/resource.

Mouse
14-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree with Mushpea, though maybe not in such a forceful way :p

Young children don't see the difference in skin colour, hair colour etc and just accept their friends as friends. They're more likely to think someone is different because they don't like dinosaurs, or whatever else is important to them at the time.
By trying to introduce the idea of people having different colour skin, you're ponting out differences that aren't important to children. Children accept their friends as they are, you don't need to point out that they're different. Encourage respect and understanding by having a good range of resources all mixed in together - all coloured & ages of people in the dolls house, books that show all ages, colours, abilities etc. Just make it the every day norm and children will accept all people.

Penny1959
14-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I introduce the aspect of similarities and differences to all children through everything - it is part of our every day life and discussions - we talk about the fruit we eat - what is the same what is different, the clothes we wear including the size, the cars I and their parents drive, the houses we live in, the animals on the farm, the characters in their favourite books and dvds and so on - then when it comes to differences in people we can discuss it quite naturally - and notice similarities as well as differences.I have a good range of books, dolls, clothes, and other resources but could not list them or recall them all as just there within my setting environment. In my opinion we can not prepare the children for everything nor have given them opportunities to experience every thing they might possibly come across but we can give them the skills they need to live their lives in a very diverse world by being able to say 'that is different, that is similar and that is the same' and therefore to be able to deal with most things that life presents them.

Penny :)

Mamma4Ya
14-07-2011, 09:39 PM
why do you need to introduce them any differently than you would a white doll from the dolls house,, why does it need to be any different? surly by treating and introducing the dolls differently you are pointing out that they are different. if I have a child ask why anothers skin is different I say its because its part of who they are then I ask them why their hair is a different colour to that child to get them to realise we are all individuals but I would never intentionly point out the difference or introduce different colour etc as this just shows the children the differences. this whole rasism thing really annoys me,, if somone calls a child with black skin a p***y then its racist if somone calls a person wearing glasses four eyes then nothing is thought of it but in the long run they are both bullying and should be treated as such ,, if the word racisim didnt exsist and wasnt brought up every 5mins then maybe people could get on better in this world.
phew sorry rant over, these are my personal oppinons and not meant to offend
anyway the answer to the question is that i would introduce them the same as any other doll/resource.

I am in no way racist or otherwise, the reason I asked is my ex husbands grandfather was African caribean, and my ex's father passed away when my ex was 5 yrs old so I nor my children got to meet them. Yesterday my daughter was showing old photos to my grandchildren and they couldnt understand why he was different colour to them.

It got me thinking as to how i should handle it if during a sign language lesson where we had the dolls out they asked the same thing. Just wanted to be prepared.

mushpea
15-07-2011, 05:29 AM
at which point did I say you were racist?:eek:

Mamma4Ya
15-07-2011, 09:39 AM
at which point did I say you were racist?:eek:

Sorry I read wrong, I do appologise :o

mushpea
15-07-2011, 04:48 PM
no probs thats fine,