PDA

View Full Version : sandwich alternative ideas please

mushpea
13-07-2011, 06:17 PM
l look after a 3.5yrold who wont eat sandwichs anymore so I am looking for different ideas for lunch that isnt sandwichs,, the only sandwich she will eat is a chocolate spread one,, today I did her a chicken sandwich which she used to eat but she wouldnt eat it today, when mum collected she gave her a lolly, I pointed out that she hadnt eaten any lunch and mum said oh well i wouldnt normally giver her anything if she hadnt eaten lunch, in the background said child is standing eating lolly grinning at me!!
Anyway it was suggested that prehaps she has gone off bread so I would like some suggestions as to what else to do for lunch
tommoro we are going to have crackers and see if she eats those and I know she will eat sausage rolls but there must be other things I can give insted of sandwichs.

Tealady
13-07-2011, 06:24 PM
It depends if you want something you can just chop and plate up or if you don't mind using your cooker. How about:

Ploughmans - I know she may not like bread but not in a sandwich and as a roll may be different.
Beans on toast
Quiche
Pizza
Eggs with toast - boiled, scrambled, poached
Filled Jacket potato
Houmous and dippers - could include Pitta as another bread to try

caz3007
13-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I do tuna pasta, wraps, toast and various toppings, cheese and crackers for non sarnie eating children. I used to do snack plates too, with various things on - a slice of meat, couple of cubes of cheese, bread sticks, raisins - these are always popular

jumpinjen
13-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I would also be seeking to agree groundrules with parents about eating as otherwise you are going to spend time and money running in circles around this little one and mum is going to provide lollies so where is the incentive to eat a healthy lunch. How about planning out the options you can offer to all the children and then sitting down with mum and showing her and asking for her back up about eating what she is given?

Jen x

flowerpots
13-07-2011, 06:44 PM
pittas, crumpets, soup with a roll, snack plate, noodles, small bowl of pasta, something on toast, humous(sp?) with veg sticks (just started having this and its going down a treat), :D

RachelE
13-07-2011, 06:47 PM
My own children were recently complaining about boring sandwiches!

I now do them mini wraps, with the same fillings, but somehow they find them much more appealing!
Maybe variety is the key?

Rachel x

The Juggler
13-07-2011, 09:25 PM
just put everything seperately on plate and vary the breads/crackers

pasta with veg

omlette??

cheese on toast

pizza

mushpea
14-07-2011, 06:01 AM
just put everything seperately on plate and vary the breads/crackers

pasta with veg

omlette??

cheese on toast

pizza

I dont put all their food on their plate at the same time,, they have their sandwichs, the when they have eaten those they get a peice of fruit folowed by a cheese string or peperami or somthing similar which they choose then either a biscuit or cake,, i found if I put all the stuff on the plate in one go they would all eat everything but their sandwichs.

The Juggler
14-07-2011, 12:15 PM
I dont put all their food on their plate at the same time,, they have their sandwichs, the when they have eaten those they get a peice of fruit folowed by a cheese string or peperami or somthing similar which they choose then either a biscuit or cake,, i found if I put all the stuff on the plate in one go they would all eat everything but their sandwichs.

oh, didn't mean the yogs/treats hon. Just sometimes I put the sandwich fillings out on plate if you see what I mean. so,

slice of toast/muffin, some cheese, cucumber and ham all set out on plate. does that make sense?

samb
14-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Yes my fussy ones seem to prefer the bread and fillings separate too - Also could do fingers of food (cucumber, peppers, celery, carrot, breadsticks) with a dip or cottage cheese? Also all seem to love cracker bread at the moment or toast with the usual filling bits on the side rather than bread. Muffins cut in half with tomato and cheese - like mini pizzas.

mushpea
14-07-2011, 07:50 PM
well we had crackers at lunch time today and she would play with them,happy to get messy, but not actualy eat them so i took them away,, an hour later she decides shes hungry and so I did her some more crackers and she ate the lot , i dont normaly do this because then all the children want a 2nd lunch but the others were asleep so didnt know, anyway she ate the lot and when i ask why she wouldnt eat it earlier she said 'because i didnt want to', when i spoke to mum she also said at home she isnt , we think its an attention thing and from now on food goes in front of her and if she dont eat it then it goes away and thats that

Chell
14-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I was going to suggest seperating the bread and fillings too. My own children prefered buttered bread with slices of cheese next to it and cucumber, etc rather than all made up in a sandwich.

DD2 and mindee love crackers either with cheese sliced or Philidelphia (I buy the one with chives) or Dairylea. They also like breadsticks and a little pot of humouss (sp?) or Philidelphia as a dip.

Beans on toast or jacket spud with beans/cheese is a popular choice.

I often buy little cheese and tomato pizzas and add chopped peppers to them. Sometimes we use paninis or ciabatta as a pizza base.

What about smooth peanut butter on a sandwich or toast?