PDA

View Full Version : No learning journey from previous CM

Tink
13-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I've had a new little girl start who is three and a half and she has been with a previous CM since she was 6 months old. Mum has left because of some issues regarding CM but when she asked about her LJ which I asked for CM replied I don't do them!!!!:eek:
She has never done a painting, drawing, colouring etc in all the time she has been there and it makes me angry, I sit for hours doing mine and she just hasn't bothered:angry:
Right rant over sorry xx

Ripeberry
13-07-2011, 04:39 PM
At least the mum is lucky to have found you and I'm sure the child will get lots of great new experiences and lots of fun with you :) :thumbsup:
P.S, do you know who the other CM was?

jumpinjen
13-07-2011, 04:41 PM
It is the age old thing of having to gain satisfaction from the fact that you do put the effort in adn your parents appreciate it!

Jen x

miffy
13-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds like mum has made the right decision to move lo.

Miffy xx

Tink
13-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I do know the CM it just annoys me that some people just do it for the money and nothing else, I can't wait to have her tomorrow and do craft stuff because thats what I love, her mum will not know what's hit her:jump for joy:

moogster1a
13-07-2011, 05:10 PM
How do you know she's never done craft stuff? i don't put the kids' arty stuff in a Lj. i give it to the parents.
In fact, i don't do LJ's. just give relevant stuff to the parents and email over photos.

Rubybubbles
13-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I have just taken a 18 month old from a childminding friend (who is on the move) and she has done nothing! I know she did crafts and things but no sign of her learning journey:( only because we held a thursday morning childminding group where one of us got an activity together but slowy ended up only being me there:rolleyes:

Makes me wonder why too, I always link and highlight planning and next steps for obs, not even a daily diary to look at to see what types of things this lo liked to do:rolleyes:

merry
13-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I've had a new little girl start who is three and a half and she has been with a previous CM since she was 6 months old. Mum has left because of some issues regarding CM but when she asked about her LJ which I asked for CM replied I don't do them!!!!:eek:
She has never done a painting, drawing, colouring etc in all the time she has been there and it makes me angry, I sit for hours doing mine and she just hasn't bothered:angry:
Right rant over sorry xx

I know plenty of childminders who don't do 'learning journeys'. Some have scrapbooks, diaries, some not very much written at all, but I'd count them all as good childminders, equally as good as those who are outstanding at the paperwork. My LJ (though I don't actually call it that as tbh I think it sounds a bit pretentious) has lots of photos as that's what parents love to see, and little to no pictures, crafts by the children as they want to take them home.

:)

Mummits
13-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't do learning journals either. I do an "end of term report" with activities, achievements, suggestions of things to follow through at home over the holidays (all term time only, mostly teachers for parents) and loads of photos. I sometimes take photos of art and crafts produced but the articles themselves go straight home for Mum and Dad. I think that's often half the point of doing them for the kids. Anyway OFSTED have been more than satisfied with the way I have presented things and the parents are happy so I don't see why everyone should be the same.

I wonder whether the apparent lack of documentation could be because the last CM has hung onto it. I had a child leave recently with parents not paying me what I was owed (and worse, but that's another story). I had stuff to send to them but I just thought why am I bothering to spend my own time and money on these people when they have been so vile? so I didn't.

Rubybubbles
13-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't do learning journals either. I do an "end of term report" with activities, achievements, suggestions of things to follow through at home over the holidays (all term time only, mostly teachers for parents) and loads of photos. I sometimes take photos of art and crafts produced but the articles themselves go straight home for Mum and Dad. I think that's often half the point of doing them for the kids. Anyway OFSTED have been more than satisfied with the way I have presented things and the parents are happy so I don't see why everyone should be the same.

I wonder whether the apparent lack of documentation could be because the last CM has hung onto it. I had a child leave recently with parents not paying me what I was owed (and worse, but that's another story). I had stuff to send to them but I just thought why am I bothering to spend my own time and money on these people when they have been so vile? so I didn't.

Good point, think this is why it is so hard, everyone does everything so different! what works for one and all that!

helendee
13-07-2011, 08:27 PM
To be honest there was life before learning journals and eyfs. Those of us who
have been minding for several years will have registered under social services and there was no sniff of ljs or endless paperwork then, and believe it or not, the los survived and went on to grow up into normal young people. Eyfs is for the benefit of government figures not for the los.

A lack of a learning journal does not equal a bad childminder and in my extensive experience lots of children would much prefer to be outside running around than doing arts and craft activities.