PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhhhhhh they are driving me mad

foxy lady
13-07-2011, 04:04 PM
i think im going to scream soon . it flies yucky horrible flies they are everywhere , we live ajoined to a working farm and i love it i love looking out of our windows and seeing trees and countryside but i must have swatted 60 flies in our house today its driving me mad. i want to have the door open so the children can come in and out of the garden but my kitchen is full of manky flies , i brought one of those beaded fly curtains but the gaps between them are big enough for and elephant.to fly through so it dosnt stop the flies. i have today spent £130 on a proper chain fly curtain and i cant wait for it to arrive , if that dosnt work i am going to cry

PixiePetal
13-07-2011, 04:23 PM
:laughing: sorry but I live on a farm - actually house is across the lane from the yard, and flies are driving me nuts - same every year :rolleyes:

they just fly in circles in the middle of the rooms bumping into each other then changing direction :laughing:

I hang fly papers in kitchen and dining room and spray fly spray when there is no food about and I am not using the room for a bit. Then I open the door and off we go again! more flies!!

can't even moan as the cows around here (sometimes in the field next door to the garden) are ours:o

Mouse
13-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Ew, I would hate that. I hate it when I get the odd fly or two in, never mind lots of them.

I was looking at these curtains the other day as I like to leave my backdoor open. I don't know if I can justify the cost though.

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1857219/Free-Flow-Curtains/

Ripeberry
13-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I feel your pain. I get this as well but maybe not as many as you. In the summer I feed the cats outside as their food seems to attract them :(
What I can't stand are the cluster flies that start arriving from late September and they take over the loft, each and every winter :mad:

PixiePetal
13-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I feel your pain. I get this as well but maybe not as many as you. In the summer I feed the cats outside as their food seems to attract them :(
What I can't stand are the cluster flies that start arriving from late September and they take over the loft, each and every winter :mad:

our loft room (just a hobby room I do not enter - DS and DH crafts!) was alive with them last year - DD videoed them. It was like something from a horror movie :panic: black swarm :eek:

gegele
13-07-2011, 04:34 PM
don't want to be a weirdo but i didn't think we were allowed those curtains, aren't they strangulation hazard or am i thinking of something diffent??

my friendly tip is that flie do not like orange and lemon zest so if you grate abit of an orange or lemon and leave it by your door they shouldn't come in or at least less of them.:D :thumbsup:

sunbeams
13-07-2011, 05:09 PM
:laughing: sorry but I live on a farm - actually house is across the lane from the yard, and flies are driving me nuts - same every year :rolleyes:

they just fly in circles in the middle of the rooms bumping into each other then changing direction :laughing:

I live on a working dairy farm too and have cows walking past my kitchen window as I type!!

Can't see the point in the flying in circles bit....drives me insane!!:panic:

I bought an industrial catering fly zapper thingy from Ebay and it has been brilliant!!

I also use Raid Yard Guard, which is repellant that you put on your door/window frames which stops the flies coming in. :clapping:

Not a fan of general fly spary as it contains the same chemicals as sheep dip and is highly toxic if inhailed. :eek: :eek:

You could also try hanging fresh lavendar in the open window as this too repels.:thumbsup:

Good luck!!

xx

miffy
13-07-2011, 05:14 PM
my friendly tip is that flie do not like orange and lemon zest so if you grate abit of an orange or lemon and leave it by your door they shouldn't come in or at least less of them.:D :thumbsup:

Have never heard that but I'm going to try it! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

miffy
13-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Ew, I would hate that. I hate it when I get the odd fly or two in, never mind lots of them.

I was looking at these curtains the other day as I like to leave my backdoor open. I don't know if I can justify the cost though.

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1857219/Free-Flow-Curtains/

Blimey! Not cheap is it? I'm not sure it would keep the heat in either and I could just see the lo's getting tangled up in it and pulling it down or worse.

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
13-07-2011, 05:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAVY-DUTY-DOOR-MOSQUITO-NET-INSECT-FLY-SCREEN-BUG-MESH-/330587327285?pt=UK_HG_ScreensShutters_RL&hash=item4cf88a4b35

I have these from my patio door, they are quick and easy to remove, and have risk assesed! Although not used them yet this year as too cold to have the door open:(

I do here the flies headbanging the door and windows alot! I also have venus fly traps up high in the kitchen and along my window sill in lounge (children can't reach)

ewww to flies!

mushpea
13-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I have the plastic strip type curtains hanging from my doors,, I have educated the children to leave them alone and how to walk sensibly in and out of them, I was concerned at first about the hazard but I am sure sensory rooms have simalar items for children to play with,

md0u0131
13-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I too live near Farms - great for walks through the countryside but yuck to flies.

Ours haven't been too bad this year as we have

1. Got those plastic curtains from lakeland
2. Put fly screens up on the windows
3. Open the windows as much as possible - the colder the house the better
4. Use lemon oil on my kitchen cupboards
5. Have a permanant fly strip up in the kitchen that is changed nearly daily
6. have one of those UV zapper things
7. have those sunflower fly stickers high up on every window

This year (touch wood) we are winning.........