PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

kel1983
13-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm sure I know what the advice will be but here goes

I took on a lo mon-fri 8.30-5.30 2 and half weeks ago.

The mum started off by being on time in the mornings but was finishing half hour early so collecting early. Last week she was late dropping him to me and on time collecting. This week she has been late dropping him and early collecting. Today he arrived at 9.40 and was collected at 3.15

Im a little confused how to invoice her. I keep thinking I shuld charge her half fees for the non attended hours but then I read the contract and we agreed on half fees when the child/parent is ill and occasional days off.

Should I just invoice for the full contracted hours. Im sure most of you would say yes. Im just too nice.

marnieb
13-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, invoice her for the contraced hours!

And if I were you, and change to payment in advance, that way if she drops late or collects early, then you don't need to worry about it as she's already paid for it!!!!

Goatgirl
13-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi :),
I know its tempting but you have to keep your business hat on and charge the full fees. Please don't undercharge. If you start doing things differently to what is agreed on the contract, you are just giving the parent the green flag to think they can too. All problems I have had with quibbling over payment or late payment etc have been with parents I have given discounts/concessions to. :rolleyes: I've learned the hard way. I really hope you manage to avoid it! :D

I agree with marnieb, it would be better to charge in advance. I always have and not had a problem with it. If I'm off sick etc I adjust the overpayment to the following invoice.

Just give the invoice and be ready to say 'oh yes, its all very clearly explained in the contract' if they query. :thumbsup:

Good luck,
Wendy :)

kel1983
13-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I know I should be getting paid in advance but again becuse I am too kind I am allowing her to pay me weekly until tax credits start paying out :panic:

I have decided to just give her the invoice for the full contracted hours and see what is said. She prob wont say anything. This is a mum who is use to paying expensive nursery costs. And they woundn't have given her refund for non attended hours.

PixiePetal
13-07-2011, 03:53 PM
yes, you charge. :thumbsup:

don't feel bad it is their choice to drop off late/pick up early - you are still booked for the original hours.

caz3007
13-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes charge her, after all like you said the nursery wouldnt offer discount for early collections.

miffy
13-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh yes you still charge - it's entirely up to mum whether she drops off late and collects early but you both agreed the contract hours.

You are lucky, she sounds a lovely parent to work for - most of the problems come when parents drop off early and collect late! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Lady Haha
13-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, full contracted hours! Get into that business habit now! I have only just got up the confidence to do this after four years! I recently took on a new after schooler and mum wasnt sure which days she would need me each week as she worked shifts, some weeks could be three days, some weeks two days. I said the best I could offer was a minimum of three sessions paid for, but the whole week kept free for her. I explained in my best professional voice (:laughing: ) that she was paying for the place, whether her daughter came or not and I would now not be offering that place to anyone else.

The week she started mum text me to say she only needed me once that week......I had to FORCE myself to text back and say 'just a reminder that three sessions are still payable. I wanted to make sure you really understand this part of the contract as I appreciate that £27 is alot for one day after school'

She was perfectly happy to pay :) Methinks the new strong Janis is the way forward!

loupo
13-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes, this little one is taking a place regardless of the hours that the parents drop-off or pick-up so you should fully charge. You have taken them on with the understanding that they will take that place so charge the figures that you set. Good luck!

Lou