PDA

View Full Version : Buggy question

cockatoos
13-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I need to buy a buggy - just starting childminding.

I am keen on getting a single buggy which you can add bits on to make a double buggy. I know about phil and teds (which I've had before and didn't like so much) and the city select (which I really like but is sooooo expensive!). Are there any other designs like this?

Of should I just buy a single maclaren, and then a double (I like the nipper) when needed, or just buy a nipper and just put my bag in the other side until I get two los?!!!

Would be really grateful for any advice!
Amy

onceinabluemoon
13-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I need to buy a buggy - just starting childminding.

I am keen on getting a single buggy which you can add bits on to make a double buggy. I know about phil and teds (which I've had before and didn't like so much) and the city select (which I really like but is sooooo expensive!). Are there any other designs like this?

Of should I just buy a single maclaren, and then a double (I like the nipper) when needed, or just buy a nipper and just put my bag in the other side until I get two los?!!!

Would be really grateful for any advice!
Amy

How much room do you have to store buggy(ies)?

Which age groups are you looking at minding?

Do you walk a lot? If so over what kind of terrain?

will you need to use it on buses or a car? (if car, which car)

What is your rough budget?

Are you country, city or town based?

Do you need a buggy to fit through your front /back door and how wide is it (in cm)

how tall are you?

Answering those will make it easier to advise you :)

Add any other info you can think of x

lulubelle
13-07-2011, 01:27 PM
what about an i candy apple/pear? i may have an apple for sale soon (depending if my best friend decides if she wants it or not!!!)

to make it a pear u just need pip converter pack

jadavi
13-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm starting up too and got a double McClaren and a single both very cheaply on ebay. Cant really beat this for price. You can do advanced search and select only to see people within 25 or even 10 miles of your post code so you can pick up.... this revolutionised my use of ebay ...but sadly I've way overspent now.
Space is an issue too but we'll have to use bedroom space.....

How much are you buying? I was told to buy nothing but that doesn''t make sense as i could get a mindee from one day to another and then not have time for an ebay auction. I got loads from freecycle too.

jac

cockatoos
13-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for answers so far - I'll have to look at the apple pear thing! To answer the questions;
I will be walking to most activities etc but will also need to use the bus. Also have car (one of the reasons I'm not too keen on phil and teds as found it difficult to fold and put in car). It a renualt scenic.
Space not too much of a problem.

I know I can't get a side by side in front door so will have to come round the side. In fact it will be difficult to get a single in front door cos of stupid porch!!!

I'm short 5'2.

I'm in the city so terrain is pavements but love going to woods etc. Used to have a single mountain buggy which was fab!

Budget - happy to pay a bit for the right buggy but not yet working so no income!!!! Well apart from oh!

I'll def look at second hand initially - I want to be a bit prepared! I would use my sons old mclaren but the brake doesn't work.
Ages of children I want to mind - all ages. My sons are 9 and almost 5 so could have up to three under 5's by sept.

Amy

PixiePetal
13-07-2011, 04:06 PM
from what you have said, you need an all round buggy :D

the P&T would suit most of your days even though the folding for car would not be ideal. It is great for the bus - I use mine on our village bus all the time - no way could I get a side by side on there. I have a Jane twin two for sale (tandem) as not good for my bus which is why I have P&T since we moved to the country :rolleyes: It is better for taller people and does not fold small so wouldn't advise that one for you.

A maclaren type stroller is a good standby for anyone and great for bus though not so good over rough land. Same for double stroller.

I have been a nanny/CM for 29 years (and a mum too :thumbsup: ) and used a few in that time :laughing:

I currently have -
Maclaren single stroller - if we go in friends car on a day trip

Jane single - love it, great to push and a bargain from ebay - my rough country single :D

Mountain buggy terrain double - new one for me - ebay again. my double rough country buggy

P&T - my bus/town double. Trying to keep it in good nick so don't use it in the fields/woods

Jane twin two tandem double - need to sell asap :( love it and a great ride for the mindees but better for town and I now live in the middle of nowhere :rolleyes:

and that will be it until something falls apart :laughing:

cockatoos
13-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Wow what a lot of push chairs! I am leaning towards the phil and teds after what you've said. I love the mountain buggy but as you say rubbish for the bus! I've checked out the iCandy which looks great but still much more expensive second hand than p and t. Also is heavy not sure how heavy p and t is but with two children in it I want it as light as pos!!!

Thanks for your help!
Amy

PixiePetal
13-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow what a lot of push chairs! I am leaning towards the phil and teds after what you've said. I love the mountain buggy but as you say rubbish for the bus! I've checked out the iCandy which looks great but still much more expensive second hand than p and t. Also is heavy not sure how heavy p and t is but with two children in it I want it as light as pos!!!

Thanks for your help!
Amy

luckily I use the summerhouse to store them all set up for use :thumbsup: Just go and pick for the day